Pending ACDF/PCDF surgery - I need help !!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm in such a predicament !  I feel like there is no good answer .  I started having neck pain 11 years ago and have been on and off (mainly on) prednisone for years.  I have steroid induced Cushing syndrome ; common variable immune defiency ; seronegative RA;  just diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) ;  and now I have advanced problems w my cervical spine .  The bone there is possibly weak and I have cervical instability -  I'm starting to have more symptoms and  surgery  (ACDF-PCDF C2-C5) will probably be in the next few months .   I have an increasingly difficult relationship with my surgeon , who I understand is very highly trained, and he has scared me to death of this.  On a recent visit , I complained of visual changes, bone crunching , pain , SOB, and some radiculopathy symptoms in extremities .  He got very angry and stated that my symptoms were not from my neck (except the radiculopathy)  although I have had sudden changes and this always follows when I have hyperextended my neck. I am a nurse practitioner myself , and I certainly bow to his expertise , I do know my own body and a little of how it works . If I had felt that I was heard, I would feel better.  Instead he put me in the position of "you have to have this surgery to prevent death or possible paralysis " and "if you have this surgery , life is over as you know it, you will have worse chronic pain (great timing with the "opioid crisis " in the news) , none of your symptoms you described will be relieved and healing may very well be unlikely ".   My husband and I were flabbergasted .  I have been seeing this surgeon for a few years and have never felt this way about him .  Now I feel unable to complain or just vent my feelings about this without the possibility of him chastising me.   Usually , I would immediately cross him off my list and move on , but for many reasons I need to have surgery where I am if at all possible.  I do feel he is very well qualified to do this surgery (according to my rheumatologist ) but my feelings toward him have changed and he crossed some boundaries with me that I normally would not allow.   If this surgery is going to essentially leave me a prisoner to my neck and start a series of complicated problems , I have a hard time going ahead with it.   On the other hand , i could end up dead or paralyzed .   I am very convinced that the SOB & visual disturbances are related.  That is not a very good way to live either. 

My question is this :  has anyone had this experience ?  & who are the top surgeons in the US  that perform this surgery ? 

My surgeon told me that bc of the new drugs for RA , you do not see this as often and the surgeries are less frequent.  So I do not feel that this surgery is something he does often .  I don't like that .  So maybe I should consider traveling to have surgery .  I have some support w family , but it is limited. .  We also are rather new to the area and just have not made that many friends . 

Anybody ??? Help??? 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.