Pending scoliosis surgery number 3

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had spine surgery 7 years ago right after my 18th birthday, three days after the surgery one of the screws broke and three months after that I had a revision surgery and healed well enough. Fast forward 7 years later and I have been having chronic leg pain to the point I was going to foot doctors, and soon after that I got in a bad car wreck and after I got out of my car I went paralyzed for a few hours and my back was killing me. I went to a spine doctor after that and he said I have broken and loose screws. I had a CT scan last week and I'll find out if I have to have another surgery tomorrow. He said that if I have to have surgery he has to take the rods and screws down to almost my tail bone, and I'm worried it will affect how I walk. I'm a manager for a gas station and it's a really physical job so I don't know what I'm going to do...

Has anyone else had rods and screws placed all the way down to the tailbone? Does it affect your walking? How long does it take to recover from it?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rainflakes,

Wow surgery number 3. Definitely not in your postion, but before I'd embark on that level of surgery I would be wanting definative answers. I have T2 to L2, surgery.Originally was going to be down to L4, but they stopped at L2 incase they need to do more surgery down to  my tailbone too. I hope it does not come to that. I would assume the dificulty would be limited movement hence it would naturally change your walking posture. Your physicall job I imagine would be more difficult due to restricted bending which I assume you have alread. Be prepared to have as many questions as possible and make sue you get answers and not just being fobbed off. 

Good Luck with you prognosis and if you have to have surgery I wish you well. Please update us of your outcome. It is good to keep informantion like this on the forum. 

• Posted

So, I have broken screws and fractures in my spine. I'm going to need surgery to repair the broken screws, they have to take out some disks and replace them with plastic disks because they are deteriating from arthritis. They also have to take the rods and screws down to my pelvic bone and cut a wedge out of my spine so I can have some sway back. They are going to break the surgeries down to two operations, totaling 14 hours of surgery. Not looking forward to this lol
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear your news. I hope you asked all the relevant qustions and the possibility of other options. That is a lot of surgery,hence the need to be done in two operations. I am guessing by your information you are still fairly young, late 20's. That will be a big plus in terms of recovery etc as I am sure you will know. Do you have to wait long?

Before my Scoliosis operation they discussed removing disks with me and would be going in the front, although it is actually the side. I declined as it meant two ops and longer in hospital recovering from this before they did the rods and screws. I am glad I opted for the one op. 

I hope that when this is all done you will be fit and healthy as much as possible. Would like to be kept updated if you feel up to it. In the meantime keep positive and think  it is for a better quality of life. Best wishes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.