penetrating peptic ulcers

Posted , 2 users are following.

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Hi guys, I am look for some insight, thanks for your time.

After two years of being sick(joint pain, sleep issues, pain like wound in the back after meals, headaches, itching these were just some of my symptoms and they always came with food), I was recently diagnosed with H pylori and was given a 10 day Triple therapy.  This helped a lot, but the pain in the back after meals is making me believe there might be an ulcer or more than one there.  If I eat an apple, or a grape, I feel pain within in hour in my back, it's like a wound to the touch, so it isn't your traditional back pain where you feel the pain in your bones.   This is the same with every single food, healthy or not. It's more like inflamed tissue.  If I don't eat, the pain is significantly less.

I feel better when I am on omperazole, which only reinforces my suspicion of a/an ulcer(s) being present.

I have an endoscopy appointment in 10 days, so I'll know for sure then.

in my research, I found out that your regular peptic ulcers do not cause referred pan in the back, majority of people seem to complain about pain which is confined to the stomach which isn't my cause.  for me stomach pain is sporadic.  In my research, I found out that this type of pain(pain that you feel in your back after meals) is found among patients who have severe peptic ulcers that penetrate to some organ, mostly the pancreas and this is usually corrected with surgery.  High mortality rates is associate with penetrating ulcers.

has anyone here been through this? If so, please share your experience. Apparently this is so rare that it only happens to about 6% of people who have ulcers.  

Thanks for your time again.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Ahmed I had a peptic ulcer which burst at the age of 17 in 1959 - that's nearly 60 years ago.

The excruciating pains I suffered with for four months before the ulcer burst were mostly on the front left side half way down my ribs over the heart and they came and went suddenly.and I mistakenly thought they were simply due to indigestion.

I was operated on and had to have two thirds of my stomach removed.

Omperazole is the "modern" way of treating stomach ulcers by reducing the acid level.

I think you need to do two things. 

Firstly be checked to make sure that the H-pylori infection has been cleared up and secondly ask your doctor to check your Vitamin B12 level as it may be that the omerprazole and H-pylori have caused you to become Vitamin B12 deficient.

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

PsychosisThe discomfort you get after eating may be because of the omerprazole lowering your stomach acid thus preventing proper digestion.  Try adding a few drops of lime juice or apple cider vinegar to a glass of water with your meals as it contains the right acidity to help with digestion and break down foods to smaller and more digestible micronutrients.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years and I'm still "clivealive" at the age of 77.

I wish you well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.