Penicillin side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Just completed a course of penicillin for a throat infection, having a had an awful cold for 3 weeks with a continous choking cough. I was aware when taking the antibiotics of stomach side effects especially as I have both IBS and Diverticular disease. Surprisingly apart from a bit of stomach ache for a day or two I had no side effects. I finished the course on Monday and the next day I started to get upset stomach soft stools but not Diarrhea and normal stools as well. together with rectal pressure and more painful urinary urgency and pain and burning in the vaginal area. It hurts a bit when weeing so I wonder if I have a urinary infection . I should add that often after a long drawn out cold with continous coughing and not very good urinary control I have had to have antibiotics for a UTI. I thought that I would be ok as I had been taking the penicillin. I have an appointment with GP this morning having spent 2 nights up and down to the bathroom and little sleep, although symptoms don't seem so bad in the day. Any one had this happen to them. I can't ever remember having this particular antibiotic although I probably have had in the distant past as I am 71 years of age.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. What was the name of the antibiotics that gave you an upset stomach

• Posted

Sorry, I am usually spot on with medication names. It was penicillin and another word. I was quite surprised to be prescribed it. Have been to the gp this morning being treated for thrush. Actually feel more comfortable this afternoon. Time will tell.Thanks for your interest.

• Posted

Thrush is a common side effect. The I hope you're feeling better now. As for the delayed Bowel reaction I've had that and sure it's when they stop as you're body resents not having the extra support!

IBS is such a curse, though I've found the new drug very beneficial for IBS with constipation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.