Pension & benefit info please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ,

Just wondered if anyone here knows what the rules are regarding pensions & benefits.

My husband had to retire early to look after our disabled Daughter as I became unwell. He has a private pension. He is not old enough to claim his state pension so just wondering as we still have a mortgage if can he claim any benefit on top of his private pension?

If so, would this be calculated after our mortgage was deducted from his pension?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

the mortgage is not taken into account when calculating what benefits your husband is entitled to.

I would advise you to get advice one to one from a welfare rights adviser as you you would need to provide full details of your household details including dates of birth and income to get a benefit calculation

• Posted

Hi,

Claiming any means tested benefits will depend on circumstances like household income, savings, capital and any income from pensions.

Universal credit is now in all areas and this is a means tested benefit. Your partners pension will will be counted as income £1 for £1 when calculating any entitlement to UC.

My advice is to also speak to an advice agency near you who will do a full benefits check on both you based on all of your circumstances because without knowing all of your details it's impossible to give any advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.