Pension Credit Carers Premium...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My partner and I have just been granted Pension Credit. She is also in receipt of Disability Living Allowance. We were discouraged from alloying for the carers allowance with DLA as it would have meant being ‘reassessed’ for PIP and would have possibly meant losing the Motorbility car.

We have just been leading through the Pension Credit documents and have come across something called ‘Carers Premium’. This could potentially make a difference to our lives. BUT what I need to know is whether claiming it will in any way compromise the Disability Living Allowance?

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi if denise reads this she's the best person

to answer your question.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not sure who told you that applying for carers allowance means that your partner will be re-assessed for PIP, this is not correct. The are different benefits and one doesn't affect the other.

If your partner was under 65 on 8th April 2013 then they will eventually be invited to apply for PIP anyway. They are just massively behind where they should be and lots of people are still waiting.

For the carers premium you do need to apply for carers allowance, even though you can't be paid it if your state pension is more than the weekly carers allowance. Applying for it will mean you may have an underlying entitlement to it and therefore they will add the carers premium onto the pension credit. To claim the carers allowance your partner must be claiming Mid/high rate care DLA.

If you both claim either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance and no other adults live with you then you can claim the severe disability premium in your pension credit.

• Posted

Thank you.

I understand that if i apply for carers allowence it will trigger a reassessment of my partners entitlement to DLA. The reassessment will be under the terms of PIP.

Whgat I need to know is can I apply for carers premium as a part of Pension credit, separate and not effecting her DLA.

Hope this helps 😃

Thank you again

• Posted

As i previously advised, applying for carers allowance won't trigger a re-assessment of anything. Carers Allowance, DLA/PIP are totally different benefits.

To apply for carers premium you need to apply for carers allowance first because you need to be given the underlying entitlement to it. Applying for it, means you apply for it, and nothing else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.