Pension credits

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I don't know if anyone can help with this but is it possible to receive pension credits before you actually get your state pension please?

I am asking because when I was signing on (not now as living on a very  small private pension for past 2 years as am 62 now),  the Jobcentre told me that I could get my state pension in May 2019.  They said I would be entitled to claim pension credits only from November 2017 ie 18 months before my state pension.

I have been googling the Govt. site but can't find any information on this at all. 

Thannk you.  x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Quite correct. The date from which you can claim PC would be the date when a woman of your age would get her state pension. So as a male you get to claim it at the same time as if you were female.

The date keeps changing as the age at which a woman can get her SRP.

At one time it was fixed that male and female claimants could both claim when they reached their 60th birthday.

• Posted

I'm not sure what you are asking but I claimed Pension Credit from when I was 60 (I am male). I think it has something to do with the year you were born whether you can do so or not. I was born 1950

• Posted

According to a sight I just read it states "to be eligible for Guarantee Pension Credit, you or your partner need to have reached women’s State Pension age. This is 63 in April 2016, but is gradually increasing,so check if you’ve reached it" by contacting the Pension Service.

Therefore it appears you would be entitled to GPC next November providing you meet the criteria of having a weekly income of less than £155.60

• Posted

Thanks everyone.  A bit confused now though so can I just clarify it please?   I did say that I have checked it and won't reach state pension age due to all the changes until May 2019.   So on that premise I won't be able to get pension credits until then will I?   And not November 2017?  

The jobcenter did say I could get it 18 months ahead of my state date,  but from what you have all said I won't be able to?  x

• Posted

The figure of £155.60 is the minimum that you would get for a single person. On top of this and if you have a mortgage, they would pay towards the interest of that mortgage. In addition, and it doesn't appear to be relevant to this poster, but there are quite a few 'add ons' - disability premiums that could take the figure much higher.

• Posted

At the moment a male claimant can claim Pension Credit up to two years before they get to 65. That changes every month.

It would be a lot easier if you could tell us your birth date.

• Posted

Yes I used to work for the DWP so do know quite a lot of the rules etc.  It is just this specific point I have been given different information on.  Bev x
    • Posted

Thanks Les.  My date of birth is January 1954.  I have looked on the state pension calculator date and it comes up as May 2019.  I am not querying that though but whether I,  as a single person, and female can receive pension credits BEFORE I am entitled to my state pension as the Jobcentre told me 2 years ago.   Bev x

• Posted

Hi Hypercat

After some digging around I think I have an answer for you. As you know Women's retirement age has gradually been put back to bring it into line with the male retirement age of 66.

You are part of a small group of Women who have been affected disproportionally by the changes from 60 to 66. To offset this slightly the Government allows Women of your age to claim your pension 18 months before your retirement age which by 2019 will be 66.

Therefore the information you were given was correct. You will be able to collect your state pension from November 2017.

• Posted

Wow that's such good news thank you very much Anthony!  I am delighted.   Can I ask where you found the info please,  not because I don't believe you,  but because I am miffed I couldn't find it myself... 

I will actually still 3 months under 66 in May 2019 as my birthday is in January.   Thanks again.  Bev x

• Posted

If you Google "State Pension age increases for women born in the 1950s" the second link should be a PDF Doc from the House of Commons Library.

Search the document for '18 months' and it throws up several references to amendments made to the 2011 Pensions Act limiting the waiting time for State Pension Age Women born between 6 January 1954 and 5 September 1954 to 18 months waiting time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.