Pension on grounds of ill health.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I have a question ..I'm due a lump sum of pension totalling approx. £22,000. As i understand it anything over £16000 and your ESA stops.

So..at what point can you re apply for ESA ? Is it when you are down to less than £6000?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If it's Income Related ESA that you receive then yes £16,000 and any means tested benefits will stop. If it's Contribution based ESA then Savings/capital doesn't affect it.

If you claim housing benefit and Council tax reduction then both of these will also stop.

Once you get below £16,000 then you can ring ESA but then your ESA will be affected £1 for every £250 over £6,000.

If you're 100% sure it's Income Related you claim then as soon as the money hit your bank you'll need to report the changes to all means tested benefit departments.

You will also have be careful what you spend the money on and that you don't deprive yourself of capital to get below the amount allowed. If you do then you'll still be treated as having the money. This could be paying off certain debts and giving the money to family.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.