Pentasa Suppositories

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new here and just wanted to ask a forum about Pentasa suppositories and suppositories in general as I've just been diagnosed with Crohn's. I've read about a lot of side effects to do with these suppositories, not sure if I've been looking for bad things on the internet but it's got me quite worried. Also, how long should I keep my suppository in before going to the toilet? As I have the urge to go when I've just took my first one haha.

Appreciate any help offered!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kieron,

The pentasa suppositories are a course of treatment I have been through, unfortunately for me they were too weak and had little effect.

However although uncomfortable you really need to push through the urge of going to the loo, I would work to at least half hour if you can as this will give the drug adequate time to dissolve.

There were numerous occasions it came out quicker than I put it in but just persevere and keep mentally strong!!

Good luck 

• Posted

Hi James,

It’s a shame they were too weak to do anything, hopefully they have more of an effect with me. Did you have any side effects while taking the course? And thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

• Posted

Hi,  I was given suppositories at the beginning of my diagnosis and my diagnosis was quite bad.  I was also put on steroids and other tablets, so I had quite alot of medication at the beginning.  To be honest with regard to the suppositories I was the same as you.  I just felt I couldn't keep them in for long enough to do any good and in the end I gave up with them.  I understood that the benefit of them was to get to the places quickly and heal the sores (Ulcerative Colitus) quicker.  Whilst it took me longer to get over the flare up I felt that I couldn't keep up with the suppositories.  That is my finding with my illness but we are all different.  Good luck with your future with this awful disease and I hope you get it under control as I have been very lucky to do so far.  I am touching wood as I type this l.o.l.

• Posted

Hi Maureen!

Sorry to hear you couldn’t keep taking your suppositories, I’ve only just been diagnosed after years of having problems with going to the toilet 4/5 times a day and problems with my stomach in general. My colonoscopy showed that most of my inflammation was towards my back end so therefore oral tablets wouldn’t help me that much, therefore giving me these. I just hope that the suppositories work as they’re a bit of a commitment to take once a night especially as I’m only 21 and want to have a social life also haha.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, best regards. 

• Posted

Stick with Kieran2018.  Monitor what you eat when you have flare ups and avoid stress !!!.  You will get your life back, just don't abuse your body even when you are feeling better.  That is very hard because when you have felt so low, as soon as you are on the up you want to to go enjoy yourself but everything in moderation.  I llost nearly 4 stone in weight when I was diagnosed and I also have a brother that suffers the same but he will insist on drinking and smoking which doesn't help him.  However he has left a very stressful job and now working in different surroundings and this has helped him no end.   Although there is no end to this illness and flare ups, you can help yourself, and make your life good again.  All the very best to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.