People insensitive comments

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been suffering with hyperthyroid and TED for over a year. My eyes are exteremly dry. I cant sleep at night because they constantly run water and I find that I'm isolating myself from the world because of my weight gain and eyes that get as alrge as quarters at times. I was at a football game this past weekend when a stranger walked up to me and said everytime the horn blows your eyes get as big as quarters it really comical to watch. I was mortified and felt that everyone was looking at me. I went home cried until I couldnt cry anymore. I guess I should have told her that I have a disease that causes this but at the time I was speechless. Has anyone else experienced this and what if anything have you done about it?

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Michelle,

So sorry to hear about your health issues. My eye doctor has me on TheraTear eye drops 3 x a day and 3 pills of fish oil. It is helping but you have to stick to it and you may not get relief for a month or two. She said the Nordic Nature ProOmwga 1000 mg Fish Oil pills are the only ones that your body truly absorbes. Just throw out the cheap ones! I hope someone has advise for the other eye issue. I think if it happens to me I might just wear sunglasses 24/7! Good luck!

• Posted

It is not always appropriate to wear sunglasses. I suggest that Michelle seeks medical advice about her eyes and that she just accepts that there are some ignorant people out there and tries her best to ignore them.
    • Posted

Absolutely right. Spot on.

BTW I shoould have mentioned that my dry eyes were found to have concretions which are chalk deposits that feel as though you have grit in the eyes. It is important that the underneath side of the upper eyelid be examined for any embedded conncretions as they will irritate the eye ball itself of course. If any are present they can be removed quite painessly under the slit lamp. The ophthalmologist will just instill some local anaesthetic drops into the ye first. You can feel the difference straightaway and thus get some relief from the feeling of grittiness in the eye(s).

If eyes are dry then avoid getting soap, shampoo, shower gel, eye make up especiallly mascara in or near the eyes.

Mascara can cause dryness and irritation.

Even the hypo alllergenic brands dry the eyes.

Be careful when at the sink not to splash anny water or detergent into the eyes.

Even plain water can hurt.

There are sprays that you spray onto the CLOsED eyelid. Ask your pharmaciist and/or ophthalmologist about these.

Carbimazole should not be used with TED.

Jean

Jean

n

• Posted

I'm currently using Lacriserts and restasis, wich does nothing but burn like crazy. Havent tried fish oil pills but will ad this to my list. Anything to help. I'm thinking of having orbital decompression surgery in January this should relieve the dryness. I wish I could wear my sunglasses 24/7.
    • Posted

Have you told your ophthalmologist or helpline at any eye hospitals that the drops you are using are burning like crazy?

• Posted

Restasis contains a cyclosporin . This antibiotic can cause burning.

I advise that you tell ALL the doctors who are looking after you about the burning.

How can any drug/eye drops be beneficial when they cause burning?

Have you  read WARNING in the PIL on Restasis and adverse reactions?

Jean

• Posted

I was warned by my opthalmologist that restasis does cause burning. I've stopped using the restasis because of the burning.
    • Posted

I'm trying my best to ignore the ignorant people that blurt out insensitive comments but sometimes its hard.
    • Posted

Hi I noted you mentioned not to take carbimazole with ted is there a reason as I am on carbimazole and feel my eyes have got worse, doctor insists that is not the case
    • Posted

Hi Jolene

Someone on this Forum told me not to tae Carbimazole if I had ever suffered from thyroid eye disease. However I advise you to research this very thoroughly. I am going to do the same now.

Take care

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.