People insensitive comments

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been suffering with hyperthyroid and TED for over a year. My eyes are exteremly dry. I cant sleep at night because they constantly run water and I find that I'm isolating myself from the world because of my weight gain and eyes that get as alrge as quarters at times. I was at a football game this past weekend when a stranger walked up to me and said everytime the horn blows your eyes get as big as quarters it really comical to watch. I was mortified and felt that everyone was looking at me. I went home cried until I couldnt cry anymore. I guess I should have told her that I have a disease that causes this but at the time I was speechless. Has anyone else experienced this and what if anything have you done about it?

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Michelle:

I am a nurse and I live in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's which is Hypothyroid.

I am sorry you have Hyperthyroidism, neither Hyper or Hypo is fun to have. A famous American Actor named Don Knotts, (now deceased), had the TED. He always looked nervous and shaky.  He played characters who were like that well. He lived a good life, well into his 80's. 

Some people sad rude things. I remember when I gained weight fast due to being Hypothyroid, some people made rude comments to me.  When I told the person I was ill with a disease, she said "Sick people lose weight."  Sadly, there are dumb people who do not know anything about the body and I chalk it up to that!

Having this means you have to keep your eyes lubricated with drops and even at night. Maybe you could wear some sunglasses when at a game outdoors. Please talk with your doctor about how they can help your eyes.

Take Care, Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

I try not to let rude people and their rude comments affect me but it does. This is something I need to work out within myself.

I have friends that are hypo and your right neither hypo or hyper is any fun. We keep each lifted up and encouraged.

I have spoken to my doctor several times about my eyes and have several different drops. I beleive the only option I have to relieve some of the dryness is decompressions surgery in which I'm hoping to have in January.

Thanks for the kind words. Take care , Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle. I really do feel for you you poor thing and hope you feel better now than when you posted this. It is very hard. When I told people I  had a thyroid problem - people who had never heard of a thyroid before and had no idea of what it was - they said OH WELL. THE REASON YOU PUT ON WEIGHT IS BECAUSE YOU EAT TOO MUCH. Untrue. I eat less than most people. THE REASON YOU HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING IS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT DOI ENOUGH. Untrue. I have troubel sleeping despite being busy because of the side effects of the thyroid tablets. The list goes on and on.  People with no education in this suddenly become judge and jury on things they know nothing about and it is all criticisms, hurtful comments.  A\ lot of people with a thyroid problem get anxious, depressed, worried, fearful, and want to be alone a lot of the time. It is because the hormones are all over the place and it is easier to be alone than feel uncomfortable. But then they can get fearful and hate being a lone too.  My partner came in  to see me yesterday and saw I felt too bad to go iout with him for a meal last night, so he said NEVER MIND. WE CAN GO OUT FOR A MEAL FRIDAY.  It never occurred to him that I would not suddenly and converniently feel totally ok to go out within 48 hours.  People do not always mean to hurt, but they can be stupid and do not think before they speak.

I would think about trying the natural thyroid tablets. I had a hell of a time on the fake ones from the doctor and now find I get on far beter with them. You do have to pay for them yourself but thats beter than feeling crap 24 7.

• Posted

You summed up exactly how I feel. Some days I feel ok, nver 100% but most days I feel like crap. I find myself barely staying awake while driving back and forth to work. I go back to my doctor on Oct. 12th and I have a list of questions to ask my doctor. Thanks for your understanding
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I've tqken a homeopathic remedy which helped my puffy, watery eyes no end

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.