People who have had the Mona Lisa Procedure

Posted , 31 users are following.

I had my first Mona Lisa treatment today. I posted several weeks ago that I would tell how it went. There have been a few others who posted their experience with this procedure, but their comments were buried in other discussions and harder to find. I thought this new discussion would make it much easier for those who are still deciding whether to have the procedure or not.

3 likes, 139 replies

139 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had this procedure today March 18. It was very easy. All I felt was a little vibration. I also had one area on the inner labia done. It was a soit that always seemed irritated. The Dr. numbed the area with Lidocaine which she said might burn and it did to a moderate degree. Now that it has worn off I only feel a little minor vaginal burning. I had worse with the atrophy itself. My next appointment is in 7 weeks as this was the earliest available with this Dr. She said she thought I would be pleased with the results. 50% of her patients feel improvement after one treatment and 95% feel improvement  after the second. Time will tell. No restriction on activity except sex for three days and also I should wait to use any vagifem for three days.
    • Posted

Well, I finished the Mona Lisa treatments. I had the thrid one two weeks ago. I felt the most improvement about 4 weeks after the second and more about a week after the third. I feel great in that area. I have much more moisture and have cut back the Vagifem to twice a week from every other day. I still use a moisturizer on the outside once in a while as well as some estriol on the outside. The Dr. treated the outside and she said I coud probably taper off all of these as time goes on. This was worth the $1,500. 
  • Posted

Hi jean. I have had two treatments. One more in a few weeks. I must say that this has changed my life… I have had no bladder infections for over two months which is unusual for me. No itching, burning or pain in the VJ area

Am so hopeful it continues. I do put some Premarin on outside tissue occasionally. Would recommend it to anyone suffering from atrophy. Personally I am not sexually active so can't comment on that issue

• Posted

Thanks for the Premarin advice. I didn't think I needed anything else,after the mona,lisa but I think if I lube I will be ok
  • Posted

I get lots of yeast infections. The Dr. said it would probably help reduce those also. 
    • Posted

I am not using the HRT treatment internally anymore. I was getting yeast infections from HRT
  • Posted

I cannot use HRT due ti my breast cancer but in order to keep the atrophy from being totally unbearable, I need to use the Vagifem 4x a week rather than two times and also need estriol oil on the outside. I hope to be able to eventually reduce the amount or discontiune them.
    • Posted

This is great news! Am so happy you women have decided to be pioneers! As this news spreads I think a lot of lives will be changed. I have been out of the loop for many months because of computer complications. (Somehow this site got blocked). Anyway, I have been putting my eggs in the Mona Lisa basket since I first checked it out online. My symptoms have not worsened in terms of discomfort despite not using hormone cream that the doctor prescribed. Have made no attempt at having sex; would be impossible as exams are.  But I do hope to discuss the procedure with my doctor when I return home.
    • Posted

Hi Jean can you tell me how many micrograms of the vagifem you use and how often, I was prescibed vagifem 10mcgs every day for 2 weeks but had to abandon the treatment due to nodules appearing under the arm pits which is a stated side effect, I have been symptom free for a few months but now have the same symptoms of VA reappearing and I need to commence the medication again, I am also intrigued about what you say about not being able to use HRT, as I thought this was a form of HRT, however I am not totally sure, any advice would be welcomed, thanks kath.
    • Posted

I use that 2x per week after the intial 14 days in a row. The estradiol in the little vagifem applicator does not spread thru your body. It stays in the local tissues. I had breast cancer and my oncologist said it was just fine to use Vagifem. I do not have any probelms with it and have been on it for over 5 years.  There are other creams etc you can try if Vagifen gave you side effects.
    • Posted

The vagifem is 10 micrograms

• Posted

Sincehaving the Mona lisa Procedure I was able to cut the Vagifem from 4x per week to two times a week, which is the normal dose. 

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

My GYN started me on Premarin or Estrace cream ( can't remember but think they are about the same) for 14 days then put me on the Vagifem 10 mg 2x week.  I have been on Vagifem for a long time.  Very low dose. I know I will be on Vagifem for life.  When I tried to do less the discomfort started to come back.....needless to say I kept going on the 2xweek faithfully!!

take good care!  Atrophic Vaginitis is not fun!  Why haven't we heard about this before it happened to us?

wendy

• Posted

Hi Jean

Will you be able to go off the Vagifem completely after the Mona Lisa treatments?

thanks 

wendy

• Posted

Personally, I don't think I will be able to. I have had four treaatments and things are much better but I still use Vagifem 2x week. Before the Mona Lisa, I used it 4 x week with no improvements.  It is all individual, according to my Dr. She also said they are finding that while three treatments is the average needed, some people need more or less of them. She has also changed the annual treatment to be anytime you need it after 6 months.

• Posted

After Mona Lisa I don't use anything but it varies from case to case.

• Posted

I disagree with your doctor on vagifem. All the research I have done says it increases chance of cancer and people who have had cancer shouldn't use it.

• Posted

You are entitled to your opinion. I prefer to take the advice of a trained medical doctor.
    • Posted

Medical docs misdiagnosed my mom for years. Gave my best friend hormones during menopause. She developed hormone based breast cancer. I listen to what they say then make my own decisions.

Not one doc told me about Mona Lisa found it on my own.

All entitled to own opinions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.