People with gastroparesis, help please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay so I'm going crazy and I need all the info I can get. I have been having stomach problems for almost two years now. My symptoms are feeling nauseous at times, I feel so full and bloated after a small meal. Gotta wait around 4-5 hours to eat again. Some days are better than others. My stomach just feels strange. I hate feeling like this because feeling full makes me feel sick which in return makes me think I'll throw up, as I have emetophobia it's worse for me. I haven't thrown up once though in the entire time I've been feeling sick. Is it possible I have this? I was told people with this illness throw up all the time even at the smallest bite of food ever. I'm not sure why I feel like this but I've lost around 50 pounds in those two years. I'm at 100 for months now. Fluctuates between 95-100 sometimes. Recently I've been feeling a little worse than usually but I was told it was gastritis. I've had it before and they told me it was a flare and to take Pepcid twice a day until they kick in. Might it just be this? I also had my gallbladder removed last year in August and since then I've also been feeling a bit bad. I thought removing that would solve all my problems. Guess not! Please help guys I need info and advice!! 😫 I just want to eat normal without feeling sick and eat as much as I used to.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Gallbladder removal can cause complications.  If you are anxious about gastoparesis, then you could ask for a stomach emptying test.

However, in the meantime, keep taking Pepcid as suggested if you were diagnosed with gastritis.  Avoid greasy, fatty and spicy foods, especially chocolate and coffee.  If you have had gastritis before, it is possible you are having a flare up.   You can always try a different medication from your doctor if, Pepcid doesn't work.  Concentrate on controlling the gastritis before considering anything else.  Worry will make your symptoms worse.

• Posted

My anxiety about this is honestly skyrocketing through the roof! I'm so scared it's gastroparesis, I don't want it to be. I'm such a hypochondriac though... 😞 Might it just be my gastritis and gallbladder acting up? I definitely think the gastritis again is a flare up as I had it Before. It started about a week ago when I ate around 8-9 cookies which were sadly to my luck chocolate chip cookies 😩

• Posted

The best thing to do is to avoid the foods that trigger symptoms and that should help to reduce flare ups.  Your stomach needs time to heal.  If you ate   lots of biscuits and then you got symptoms, that sounds like one of your food triggers.  Try a bland diet and keep a food diary to identify any more intolerances.  You will find that once you get your gastritis under control, your worry will decrease. 
  • Posted

easily tested with a gastric emptying study. It's painfree, just time consuming and you will have the answer if it was gastroparesis or not.

If it was gastroparesis (so often not known why it happens) there are motility medications or even botox into pylori help.

Usually people with gastroparesis do throw up. My daughter is a patient and vomits her heart out for weeks at times. Luckily not so bad to have a line or tube put in or on iv food. Gastroparesis can get really nasty, much more nasty than 'just' nauseous after eating. An endoscopy would be no mistake, too. (my girl had that too)

All the best

you don't need to be left wondering, gastric emptying study, endoscopy and go from there. Also exclusions are answers.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.