Peppermint Oil Capsules and IBS

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with IBS (YUK).  Has anyone tried using peppermint oil capsules and if so did it make any difference at all??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello- I've had a really bad bout of IBS recently because of exams- mines bought on my stress and some foods. I tried peppermint capsules last week and for me, they made it worse. They made my tummy really gurgly and gave me really loose bowels (TMI) BUT they do work for some people and with IBS it's just trial an error. I have pepermint tea when I'm having a really bad episode of pain after eating something and it seems to calm down my tummy. Like I said it's all trial and error- you'll eventually find something that suits you. good luck! love maisie x
    • Posted

I think you are right about finding what suits (together with a good understanding of what is eneralo good for you). I drink a 'shot' of an Aloe Gel daily which has helped me - I only realised how much when recently I didn't have any rolleyes
  • Posted

Hello Loll, I have no experience wth peppermint oil capsules. 

The solution is right on your dinner plate. 

You need to keep REGULAR and ....everything will be fine. When you eat constipating foods and you don't eat enough fruits and vegetables in a day and maybe don't drink enough water...your bowels block up.... then the muscles in your bowel walls need to work harder than ever to push along the bowel contents. Plain and simple. To keep your insides working well you can do the following:

1. Eat 6 - 10 servings of vegetables and fruits per day. No more beige meals! Only delicious, jewel coloured vegetables on your dinner plate.  

2. Get some exercise every day to keep things moving...whether it be walking or a sport or an exercise class. 

3. Limit or better still, eliminate constipation causing foods such as white rice, cured meats which are  salty like ham, salami, hot dogs, too much meat in general, salty foods like crisps, olives and pickles, dairy and tea. at least until you get things under control.

4. omit dairy products from your diet if you can...or limit them and replace them with delicious almond milk. 

5. Drink plenty of water. (I have a pitcher by my computer so first thing in the morning I drink down 2 full glasses). For every cup of coffee or tea, both of which are diuretics (cause you to pee) you have to take one cup of water to replace the water lost.,...and then drink a cup of liquid such as water to be a cup ahead.

6. I often take 1 tsp of psyllium husks (Metamucil or Fybogel being the expensive but identical alternative) in the afternoon in a tall glass of water. This is natural and just adds bulk or roughage to your diet.

7. If you have particularly sluggish bowels, take 2 -3 tablets of the mineral magnesium before bed. In the morning you will produce a foot long, soft, stool that passes in 3 seconds. And that's it, no pain, no cramping. Everything should pass easily. Apparently 60% of the population is magnesium deficient AND it helps you sleep and relax...so there are a lot of bonuses to taking magnesium citrate or gycinate. It is natural...like calcium which you can take with it at bedtime. You will need to gauge whether to take 2 or 3 tablets of magnesium often depending on how bulky your stool was from the previous day. If you do take a cal/mag combination, you may need to take more. I keep them separate. You should be able to eliminate everything in one fell swoop in the morning. I have learned over the years that in order to avoid the intense cramping, I need to be on top of my bowel activity.

When you have IBS as we all have, you will do anything to avoid the intense pain of bowel cramping.If we all just drank plenty of water, filled our dinner plates with colourful veggies \and moved our bodies more, we would be fine. Listen to your body. Lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle! Treat your bowels well and they will thank you. Good luck!

Robin

• Posted

Hi I've tried the peppermint tablets with my stomach problems they made my stomach pain worse and bowels loser like diarrhea but it's all trial and error I'd say the best were mebeverine although they don't seem to help me anymore , also tried buscopan they didn't work either rolleyes 
  • Posted

To MLHX, Robin and Batgirlknight

Many thanks for your advice, I will take it all on board.

• Posted

I've not tried capsules, but I do drink peppermint tea and that helps when I have it bad! Peppermint is supposed to stop cramping.
  • Posted

I have found Colpermin - peppermint oil capsules work best for trapped wind. I dont find they are so good at easing cramping - colofac is better at that, but in the end its each to their own. Hope u can get sorted x
  • Posted

I would like to know if anyone has tried prescription prevalite, and if you have did it help and/or did you have any side effects.  My doctor just prescribed these but i have yet to take, just a little afraid.......btw, this is for ibs-d

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.