Peptic Ulcer worried about symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have most the usual symptoms of an ulcer, like nausea and some abdominal discomfort.

My biggest concern though, is on my left side slightly below my breastbone and along the ribcrage, there tends to be a constant nagging achy, burning sensation. It does disappear on occasion, but for the most part I always know it's there.

My doctor and gastro believe it's an ulcer and have given me 40mg protonix to take daily. I feel slightly better, but I'm really concerned about this sensation. If there isn't an improvement in a month they said they'll do an endoscope.

Anyone ever felt this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes!! Got the same feeling but on my right hand side (as I look down) on edge of rib cage. Saw the doctor before Christmas and was told it was likely swollen cartilidge and to rest and continue taking lansaprazole tablets. The discomfort didn't really subside so I returned and spoke to another doctor and obviously went through it all again, am still waiting for the date for my endoscopy.

Do you get any pain through to your back aswell??

• Posted

Yes I had some super annoying pain in the back about a week ago. It's mostly subsided. 

I recall the doc telling me that the back discomfort would subside long before the stomach discomfort would. 

I want to eat, but I'm afraid to eat sometimes. Spot just burns and aches afterwords and makes me feel nausea. And just feel a huge loss of appetite

I'm only a week into the protonix after switching from ranitidine for a week. 

• Posted

I'm not sure the tablets I'm on are benefitting think they were more for digestion issues originally. Visiting the toilet shortly after eating has always been my issue I thought regular was healthy!! I suppose I need to cut out a food type to limit the chances of upset but I enjoy eating everything.

One of the biggest issues I'm finding is getting a different doctor each time, it's the going over it all time and time again and also remembering every symptom that has occurred.

• Posted

have you had any endoscopy at all yet?
    • Posted

Have an appointment at the end of the month after this course of protonix to see how it is healing.

My original diagnosis was gastritis a few months back and it subsided.

If i'm not better then they will do the endoscopy.

Apparently, the my docs won't do an endoscopy unless there are certain alarm signs.

• Posted

Also before it all occurred I was on a course of antibotics as well as 1200 mg of NSAID daily (NSAID use was for a few months)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.