Perforated eardrum

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello has anyone ever had a Perforated eardrum surgically repaired. My surgeon has almost scaremongered me into not wanting to have it due to what he says are risks,in particular further hearing loss although I’ve read that further ear infection causes hearing loss. I experience intermittent earache and giddiness he says it has nothing to do with it?which I find hard to believe I’ve never had it before. It’s causing me anxiety and he’s not helped to me make a decision. Thanks anyone:)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I agree with the surgeon regarding giddiness but earache could be a possibility with a perforated eardrum.

I had a surgical repair of a perforated eardrum and also a mastiodsectomy (drilling out bone behind the ear) this was done Friday 22.3 19

The surgery went fine. Perforation is sorted by taking a muscle graft (usually jaw muscle) and patching the hole using this. Then, they stuff the ear to make sure nothing can get inside.

The extra part for me (which you dont need to worry about) is the use of 14 staples to the long wound whereby the surgeon drilled the bone out.

Perforation that had been there for a long time, will not heal by itself. If you want to swim and stuff then you should have it surgically repaired as if you dont, water from swimming pools could through the perforation and deep into the ear, starting an infection.

The surgeon should tell you the risks but if you want to swim and things like that, then surgical repair should be taken, in my opinion.

Just tell the surgeon that you want the surgery, you want it sorting and your mind is made up.

• Posted

Hello Danny thanks for the reply I hope you’re recovering well Is your hearing ok after the repair of hole? has is made any tinnitus worse or hearing worse? the surgeon didnt tell me that further infection can cause hearing lose as well Ive read this online

• Posted

it's TRUE, further infections can cause hearing loss but it's impossible to say exactly on what scale and also, it's possible that it wont result in hearing loss. it's basically down to chance.

it's far too early for me in terms if judgement on the sucess of surgery. Right now I'm 4 days post-op and still have bleeding though mastiodsectomy cut and also ear canal. As with eardrum repair, the ear is packed tightly for 3 weeks, so its impossibly to hear out of it until the packing is removed.

Post-op dizziness, popping / ringing / sqeltching sounds coming from the ear but it's normal for a while.

For me its sore and pretty painful. I wasnt given any pain relief when I left hospital so I had to go back.

For you it would be tympanoplasty and in your situation, I would definitely get it to repair the eardrum. Just tell the surgeon you want the surgery to repair the hole, so ask them to put your name down on the waiting list

• Posted

hi thanks again for your reply my op is due this Friday,the surgeon put so much enphasis he was verry adamant and quite forceful,he didnt mention anything positive for me nor explan the procedure calmly eg where the skin graft is taken and made i felt so uncomfortable that I couldnt bring myself to ask him anything he just made me nervous and anxious and i still am hope you soon have less pain,I expect my pain willl be far less Thanks again

• Posted

Yes, your pain will be far less for sure. Your jaw will ache because of the muscle graft, chewing might be a problem for a few days. You will probably have stuffing and a plastic flu-like device in your ear to aid recovery too.

All the stuffing and plug would be taken out maybe 3 weeks (that's what it is for me)

The patching of the eardrum is relatively simple. Post surgery care is essential, I.e. stay infection-free. if people have cold or flu or whatever, avoid them like the plague.

After surgery, ask for pain relief and keep topped up on it. Upon discharge, ask for pain relief prescription.

In my experience, surgeons, especially the good ones, are quick with paperwork and talking to people because it is not their area of expertise. They dont care about how people feel, they just want to get the problem sorted; they have a norrow minded approach.

Consultants are the ones that will explain everything and take a long time doing so. Also sometimes surgeons 2nd will do that too.

On the day of surgery, ask them to go through everything again with you they'll be happy to do so.

• Posted

thank you your kind to help, incidentally emailed his secretary with a few questions and concerns and I’ve just found out that my operation was cancelled! in error so it’s now postponed for a month he is also a consultant but he will be performing the operation on the day he just scaremongering me that’s all with all the risks which I was already aware of having had a previous earlier consultancy myself however he just made me very nervous and anxious about the whole thing I appreciate your feedback,have a good day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.