Peri and health anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

well this group has helped me more in the last 3 hours than anything in the last 5 years

i was diagnosed as peri 5 years ago, and only started hrt last year. The last 8 weeks however have been awful. It started with a clumsy moment that led to me burning my wrist with a pan of boiling water...that was my first trip to A&E. 2 days later i broke a tooth. Went to my dentist to get treatment. That filling broke a week later, so back to the dentist for a new filling. Anxiety started ramping up. Coupled with a very late period, usual PMS symptoms, extreme nausea and hot flashes, i went to my local pharmacy to see if there was anything i could buy to help. Pharmacist tells me she thinks i may have sepsis from the tooth! As you can guess, anxiety went mental. Went straight to A&E. Was checked over by 3 different doctors - all confused why i was there! Blood pressure was through the roof (thanks anxiety), but everything else was normal. No sepsis!

Saw my GP who put me on prozac, and gave me anti sickness pills. Again, gave me a good once over and told me everything was fine. Prozac did not agree with me at all...in fact it made me feel worse, so stopped taking that and changed to amitriptyline. Anxiety was still through the roof. I convinced myself something was still wring with my broken tooth, so went back to the dentist for a third visit. they told me i now needed a root canal! To cut a long story, i ended up having the tooth pulled out...now thinking i may have over-reacted! Good job anxiety

Anyway...I am coming to terms with the fact that health anxiety is a thing and am taking steps to manage this, however i wanted to thank all of you for sharing your experiences as it has helped me massively get out of my own head.

I've started a multi-vitamin regime and am looking at further self-care steps i can take. And I repeat my daily mantra of "its just anxiety"!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Kate, I share your pain around health anxiety. I've struggled with it for a year now. It's truly awful. I often think, I wonder if I've had weird symptoms before and didn't even give it a thought.

• Edited

anxiety is a killer, the worst symptom of Perimanopause 😭 my nose blocked, nasal drip to throat, migraine with aura, internal shaking, heart palpitations all symptoms n top of it is anxiety.... im going insane....💯

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.