Peri? Anyone advice me for help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello, at the moment I'm peri, with a lot of the symptoms I'm nearly 46, and I'm fitted with the coil( a 5 year one, and I have 2 years left).  I have alot of the peri symptoms NO night flushes yet though. As I have 3 children my mood swings are up and down to me they are bad, really evil or very tierful. Some days I wonder why do I bother? I have looked out for products but a lot r if u take the pill it's not safe? What is safe and what products could anyone advice me to take? I really want something for the mood swings. Unfortunately my gp does not think I'm periso obviously won't prescribe me anything?!!. Is it safe for me to take anything? I have no idea? All I want is something to help with theses terrible mood swings . Thankyou xxx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Go back to a Gp and insist they refer you to a gynecologist. They know far more about this than gp's. You have a right to see one so be firm as you need to get to the bottom of these symptoms as they are having a bad impact on your life. I lbook in as a emergency so I get seen quicker as can take weeks. 
  • Posted

I was feeling like urselve michelle, having very bad days an most if not all peri symptoms. I saw some advice on here an I feel like a new woman, most days.

high dose of vitamin b6, b12 an magnesium an hour before bed helps me relax.

b6 really helped with my mood swings an homones.

I still have bad days but not any nearly as many as I was.

give it a try, I was sooo grateful when I came across these ladies to give so much good advice.i thort I was going mad an thort I was the only one feeling rubbish all the time. Hope this helps Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

If you're not coming out of you hormonal birth control system then your emotional issues will have to be dealt with through vitamins+ minerals, and herbals supplements. Are you willing to take them? I mean commit to engage in a supplements programme? X

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I want to give you a hug, sounds like it's really bad for you right now. So hard with the kids too. 

I am on the Pill myself, to control my periods (I am really estrogen dominant and my periods are really heavy and close together if I am not on the Pill. They are still very heavy). 

I do use progesterone cream. It really helped with my bitchiness. I am teaching, so, like you, my mood really affected others, and that felt terrible to me. 

I haven't tried magnesium and vitamin B supplements, just because I take so many other meds, I can't really fit them in.  But I think they are a really good idea. Actually it's almost summer here, so I do drink a sports drink every day, which includes them. 

Honey, it is really hard, I really feel for you. I would suggest you try to the magnesium and vitamin B supplements, yes, definitely go to a gynaecologist. Some women take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs, I do (but I've always suffered from depression, long before perimenopause). With peri, it was the hormone cream that helped.

Of course, I don't take caffeine, sugar, alcohol. I do exercise quite a lot. I have found that my blood iron levels are really important to my mood, so you might have yours checked, and take iron supplements if they are low.

I have found my way through this, and I am sure you can too. Don't listen to your doctor, he or she is being really ignorant. Of course you are in peri, everyone is at your age. Take good care.

• Posted

Gosh Thankyou for all your help/ advice ladies. All your comments are very much appreciated xxxxx. Anyway yes both doctors I have seen weren't helpful at all. Both male and female who I saw, the lady was awful she was a complete B.....H. How do I go about seeing a gynaecologist? Do I make an appointment with the gp ? How on earth I'm going to do that? If I already seen 2docters who have refused me been peri? How do I manage to get to see a gynaecologist?. As for the time been I'm going to give Magnesium and B6 a go. Prior I have had 1 blood test done which came back Normal!!!!. And  recently had another 2blood tests done (which I have to wait 10 days). Thankyou all for your help xx
    • Posted

michelle, the blood tests for sex hormones are never definitive, as far as I've read. I think doctors like to have some solid fact to deal with, rather than subjective symptoms, but in fact, during peri, it's all subjective symptoms. Don't worry if your blood tests come back normal, I don't think it means much. Try to think about each symptom, and I would keep a diary and see when your worst times are relative to your periods. Then try to find a solution for each symptom.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer

Have you tried the Mirena coil. It can be wonderful, changing heavy painful periods to lighter or none.

• Posted

Hey barbara, thanks for the suggestion. I live in Japan, it's not available here. I am 51 so I am hoping it will all end soon. It's really heavy now, though.
    • Posted

I'd like to get a uterine abalation (am I spelling that right?), but it is expensive and they ask you to stay a week in hospital here, which is expensive. 
    • Posted

Gosh that seems odd in the uk you go home the same day for an ablation. I only stayed 3 nights for a total hysterectomy and when private. My English friends from the USA come here to go private for their medical things as it is about half the cost. But you should pay the money to get a ultrasound done as your bleeding could be because of a fibroid. Need to check that out
  • Posted

Book another appointment with GP ask to not have the ones you have previously seen. You need to insist at the appointment to be refered to a gynae. If they don't you have the right to make a written complaint to the practice manager. If you find this a problem and you are prepared to spend about £250 you could go private. I have done this as was disappointed with Nhs on another issue. Look up on intranet private hospitals near you. Get a gynae who still works in Nhs and does private as well. they will give you sa good long appointment mine was an hour. They will write to your GP telling ins them their diagnosis they will tell you what they are puting in the letter and give you a copy. I lost all faith in GP since they faffed around about my symptoms for 4 years and because they did not refer me I need up with hysterectomy. My gynae said he sees this all the time as GP are taking women off hrt as fast as he puts them on it and they are bad at putting in Mireya coil as don't do ultrasound to check if no fibroids . But worst is they try to fix problems when really they should be referring to the expert for an opinion. 

So have a go again at getting a referral at GP . You could always change you Dr surgery. Don't forget we the tax payer are paying their wages and GP do very well out of it these days.

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I am 46 and in menopause and I have suffered for months with mood swings, crying yelling at my boyfriend and other people around. I was on Zoloft felt my stomach hurt badly i had a lot of stool problems with it and nose bleeds and palpitations. I talked to the nurse who works with my medical doctor she is going to look into the biodentical progesterone pills made out of yams or soy she said she will get back to me I told her I'm not taking the Zoloft anymore due to a lot of stomach cramping, stomach pain, Palpitations and stool problems I told her I will stay on my Ativan until she gets in an order for the biodentical progesterone pill

I understand how you feel there are times I just want to scream and run away from all this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.