peri but still having regular periods?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

this is mu first post and I feel grateful to have found this sight.  I have so many peri/menopause symptoms and feel at my wits end but I am still having regular periods.  I feel ill all the time. Is this possible?

thank you smile

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

I think it can be. My periods are also regular most of the time, but I suspect peri. My doc refuses to check. I have a lot of symptoms too. I went to see endocrinologist, neurologyst, gyno, general practitioner for tests to check on the symptoms. No one checked for peri but my gyno put me on birth control telling me to try and see if that helps. I cannot tel yet.
    • Posted

Thank you. I've made an appointment with the dr so I shall let you know what he says

• Posted

Sometimes seing the doctor is frustrating because some of then make u feel crazy. To me it helps to know that I have done my part. We here all know how hard is it to deal with all those random crazy symptoms. I hope you feel better. Go and see a doc and stay in touch. Sharing helps a lot.
  • Posted

Hi Ponylover, you will have regular periods in peri-menopause especially if you are in the early stages of it....as time go on they will become irregular become erratic more bleeding and last bleeding with a drop in estrogen, don't worry to much it calm down eventually, not feeling yourself is the menopause way of telling you your going through major body change so that's normal too

hang on there it getter better.

• Posted

Hey ponylover. Welcome. This is where I come to ask questions, whine, and vent. It has been a blessing for me. All the ladies here are very understanding. The way mine started was spotting before and after my period. Then random symptoms. Next came the health anxiety (the worst symptom of all for me). i didn't start having irregular cycles until about 10 months in. I started all this one year ago as far as I can tell.

• Posted

Thank you so much for naming what I have been feeling! I have crippling health anxiety that started with my perimenopause. I have stopped drinking caffeine and that has helped a tiny bit. But I can get to the point where I am almost not functional out of fear that I am so close to dying I won't live through the day. 

I am grateful I found this forum. smile

• Posted

Hi maddysmom. The health anxiety was awful when it lasted for weeks. I haven't had that lately and am relieved. Now I can tell when my mind starts going there....which is usually preceded by a symptom, new or a return. How long have you been dealing with it? And did it start with your first peri symptoms?

• Posted

I have always had anxiety. But before peri, it was about my relationship, my job, my pet, home.  Anywhere the anxiety gremlin could find a home.

When my first peri symptoms started, the brain fog and the hot flashes, the anxiety became entirely health related. For 5 years it's been this way. And, like you, it is preceded by a symptom.

And, since I am lucky enough to have an ulcer in my rectum, sometimes it isn't just the peri that sets the health anxiety off, it can also be an ulcer symptom that sends me into a spiral. I can be in an emotional hole for days. Not even my Rx makes a dent in it.

Oddly, exercise, using my body for something so obviously postive, can sometimes quiet that screaming fear in me. That an a dose of Vitamin B each morning helps. 

Thanks for caring and checking in with me. This forum is sent from the heavens. Everyone is so positive and loving. 

• Posted

All the same for me year into it. I've had every test done for symptoms. tested for fibroids had ct scans on sinuses and head for all the suffering I'm having thought I'd got Brain tumour or something etc feel light headed end dizzy anxious and generally ill all the time now doctor seems to think peri menopause felt like I've lived my life at the doctors for the last year. Now given me hrt to try. It's all awful but looks like w are not alone 🙁🙁

lim sure we will get there but it's nice to talk to people as you think you are alone in this xx

• Posted

Ohhhh, I went through a couple of periods of time that i really thought I had a brain tumor.  Three years ago I woke up so dizzy one morning that I walked sideways to the bathroom, It felt like I was on a boat.  I was so stunned I went back to bed thinking maybe when I woke up again I'd feel better.  i didn't.  I was dizzy and hot and anxious for 6 months straight.  My legs felt like lead...it was awful.  I had to have a cold cloth on the back of my head full time and the sun would just knoch me right out if I went outside.  And then it was suddenly gone one day, just like every other symptom of this crazy time comes and goes.

• Posted

It seems to be normal enough. My Dr said exercise helps . Lots of walking. Just bear in mind it will settle. Eventually.
  • Posted

thanks for sharing. makes it just easier however does brth pill or hrt helps or not
  • Posted

I never had a regular period in my life until I started peri.  Then suddenly I had many symptoms of perimenopause and regular periods, from the time I was about 42.  At 47 my periods are now irregular, shorter intervals, sometimes longer.  Some light, some heavy...I never know when it's coming but I get very very extremely moody and sore, and this past three months have been horrible for symptoms being not only at the PMS times.  The last two weeks have finally given me some reprieve, but a very long period.  lol.

• Posted

Did any one take any form of medication during perimenopause time like Anti depressants, hrt, other hormones availabe. Just dont know what to do or just continue living with it. Some are giving hope that it wil become better.
    • Posted

I am going to start Lo Loestrin (brand name for the lowest dose birth control pill in the US--10 mcg) this week.

I was completely committed to no medication; but the last few months have made me fear I won't be able to continue working unless I get some help. 

Is a low dose birth control pill an option you are considering?

• Posted

I had been antidepressants in past to help out with anxiety issues low mood and emotional side of things. But it did not help at all. So only a week ago I was prescribed livial also called tibilone half a tablet by gynae. It is usually given in post menstrual conditions but in Australia  they have tried it out with peri menopausal situations as well. So that is what I am opting out for at the moment. I was also told by gp to have zoely which is low dose birth control to try out but I decided to try out tibilone and see how I go. keep posted how you go
    • Posted

I am curious to hear about your experience with tibilone. I googled it because that drug isn't available in the US.  I will keep you posted on my low dose birth control pill experience. (Also recommended to me by my GP--funny!) And you keep me posted about your experience.

We'll get through this together! 

• Posted

This is what I am doing at the moment. This is my second month. First month was not good. This month is maybe a bit better. My doc told me to stay on it for at least 3 months before change it.
    • Posted

Hi I will surely keep you all posted on about it and hope we all can sail through easier in 2017 with each others support. I have had a good 2/3 days but now I am ready for periods so pms has made it worse today. thanks girls, Merry Christmas
    • Posted

Hi Pam, just wondering how the birth control is going? Going through this horrible peri. It's awful. Would love to know how you are doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.