Peri facts

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi ladies 

I find the more I focus on my symptoms the worse I get. I've stopped focusing on every single symptom I have I've stopped wallowing in self pity and this has made a huge difference in my life so I thought I would just share it to see if this motto will help others as it can't be healthy with the constant moaning and talking about peri or meno every day it will only impact is if we allow it to 

6 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Oh God how is that possible I can't help not focusing on the dizziness cause it just doesn't stop everyday it's tiring

• Posted

It is the worst and I mean worst ..Like i have to hold on for dear life when it happens. And then immediately the hot flash. You know it is from the hormones spiking or dropping. I have tried everything I can to stop them without meds...I heard black cohosh helps 
  • Posted

Hi Nicola , 

I am trying to do the same. I find this site useful for facts and reassurance. I am newly diagnosed ,despite having had it for a while and I am trying to move on from the feelings attached to the initial stage of diagnosis. This won’t last forever ( am sure!) and I don’t want to give it any more power than it already has as I’ve been gruesome with it! Good luck with everything!  X

• Posted

I absolutely agree! However, when you first get into it, you really just want to get an understanding as to what’s happening to your body. I have just found some medical articles connecting anesthesia and hormonal changes. Two months ago I had a surgery, and I have not been the same person since In my mind I always connected my body changing and that surgery which made no sense to me. However, I do wonder if they are connected. And just understanding that connection and understanding  that I haven’t gone crazy has helped me to start to move forward. I vow to have a positive mindset. But you truly do have to be an advocate for your own health as I had a doctor who was staring me in the completely wrong direction. 
  • Edited

Hi Nicola, cheers to you!  Unfortunately, Easier said than done for most of us.  Positivity is my middle name, however, hard to be positive when you feel physically and mentally bankrupt!  Also, a lot of us have family members, friends and doctors who are sick of listening to us.  I wish I could cover my eyes and all my crap would go away.  I enjoy swapping stories with the ladies on this forum.  They do not bring me down.  This topic does not get enough attention, I am glad we are so poignant and honest. Take good care! 
  • Posted

Hi nicola...yes agree....it can so becomr you and therr comrs a point where you just have to get on with it.....well most the time but i do have still some bad moments that set me back....thank you for this. CK
  • Edited

Well that’s easier said than done ... when you’re exhausted all the time can’t get out of bed depression fatigue ... it’s a whole different ballgame . 

If it’s just a few hot flashes and irritability then definitely can handle that and ignore it but when your whole life stops and is affected by this ..... not so easy to overcome 

• Edited

This works for me on my better days. But on my bad days it takes all I can do to just get thru. When the anxiety, depression, off balance feeling, and spaced out feeling sink in then it's so hard not to focus on them...as they whack up my perception to life in general. By pure principle, lots of grin and bear it, and a heavy dose of heaven's help I am able to get thru the bad days. This stuff is crazy hard!

• Posted

Yes having one of those days today 😩 not that my other days are great but it’s a tough one today. Lovely sunny afternoon and all I can think about is let the hours roll by so that I can go to bed ... no way to live ! I’ve missed most of Spring and ALL of the summer !

• Posted

So sorry Lori. I'm telling you what I need to hear on my bad days and that is...you will have another good day! So far our track record for surviving the bad days is 100%. But man alive are the bad days hard. Hugs to you!!

• Posted

Hi Nicola. 

Im curious what symptoms you've had? I'm doing pretty good most days now, but a year ago I was debilitated with anxiety, fatigue, globes sensation and fear among other symptoms. There was no way just holding onto a motto of not 'wallowing in self pity' would have made a difference at that time. Also, when this first started happening to me, I was not wallowing in anything! I was seriously thinking something was wrong with me and I was very ill and needed some medical diagnosis to save me from whatever it was that had me feeling so bad. I'm so grateful for this forum. It has helped me in so many ways. It's great to come here for support and chat with other women who are in the same situation. And sometimes - wallowing in self pity! Nothing wrong with the occasional break down and feeling sorry for yourself. This peri/ meno stuff sucks hards and while I think being positive is a great thing and something I practice... it is much much easier when you're not feeling like total crap! Everyone on this board will get to the point of feeling better and be better able to handle things. Until then, thinking about it everyday and moaning about it and feeling self pity at times is part of it. Bad peri/ meno symptoms are not affecting us because we allow them to or because we are thinking about them too much everyday... they impact us because our bodies are in a state of shift. I wish I had been able to control my symptoms last year just by brushing them aside and not giving them notice. That would have been a physical and mental  impossibility at that time. As soon as I started feeling better, I was able to think in a more positive way. I hope your symptoms have not been as brutal as many of the women on this board. It's a tough time for sure! 

• Posted

Omg that’s soooo true Audra and so well said ! We’re not just moaning for the good of our health it’s because we’re debilitated !

I too have been this way for 5 months fatigue like I’ve never known it ! Depression like I’ve never experienced ! 

I’m no pity party person either but when this is with you 24/7 you cannot help it . We are crying out for help but there is no help !

I’ve tried patches make me depressed the cream hasn’t done anything so now I’m stuck with a fatigue that literally engulfs you ... it’s like even after 10 hours sleep you’ve been up for days. All I can say is God help us all this is a travesty ! 

• Posted

Audra -I was reading what you went through last year and can place a check next to all of your symptoms and the one I didn't have a name for; globus sensation! I had all of that...anxiety, fear, depression, about 10 symptoms on the list non-stop AND that weird feeing in my throat - woke up in June after a heavy period and my hormones crashed. 

This forum was the greatest gift to me. I thank the Lord for leading me here to a place of wisdom, comfort and encouragement. It's a place to share our experiences and concerns when so many around us don't understand. 

• Posted

The globus sensation was terrifying for me! I had my husband look up how to do a tracheotomy in case I started suffocating! I had no idea what it was that was causing the feeling and the dr just brushed it off like it wasn't a big deal! I had 2 nasolaryngoscopies and was begging for an endoscopy trying to figure out what was causing it! An ENT told me it was caused by silent reflux and gave me mega doses of PPI and H2 blockers. Well, since I didn't actually have reflux issues the meds made me so sick and really jacked up my stomach for a couple months. I went to a gastro Dr after I started the reflux meds and he was like... get off those things! You don't need them!  I still get the globus feeling- some days are worse than others but I've learned to live with it since I know I'm not going to suffocate from it! I hope yours is either gone or not too bad. It's a rough symptom to deal with! 

• Posted

Yes, the fatigue is so hard! I recall when I was younger and was tired, I'd just battle down and plow through it. Easy enough! With this peri fatigue there is no fighting through it! It's crazy how completely drained and heavy feeling it can make you! I know it will leave and we'll be back to normal. There are so many older ladies bopping around all chipper and energetic! One day we will look back and recall how tired we were and be ever thankful that phase of our lives is over!!  Maybe this is the universes way of helping me accept getting older? I'm actually looking forward to being that old, grey haired, spiffy grandmother!  😉

• Posted

Yes I notice everybody now ! I look at women my age and older than me abd think wow! They are doing it ! Living life !

I don’t see any light right now as been living this nightmare 7 months and it’s not getting any better .... I just want to give up . I’m in hell mainly with fatigue ... the patch makes me depressed but keeps me awake . Now I’m in bed at 7.30pm hopefully better day tomorrow 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.