Peri menopause and VA

Posted , 5 users are following.

This is a new topic to me. It seems though that from what I have read that this is more for menopausal women? I am 46 and just starting to have Perimenopausal symptoms. Vaginal discomfort has been a huge one the last two months.  Is it possible I have it already?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Jas06, I am also peri and have been dealing with VA since Oct. 17 coming up on 1 year. 😢 I have tried several things and am on intrarosa and estrace now which seem to be helping. 

• Posted

I have read that all women have atrophy to some degree after menopause. Some of us more extreme than others. But I have also read that some women barely have a vagina left and what they do have is made up of skin so thin it splits yet feel no discomfort (these would be women not attempting to have sex). Other women ar in agony with constant UTIs caused by atrophy. In my case I was diagnosed 3 years ago and was prescribed hormone cream,  but did not feel the need to use it because I was not having any symptoms (I was 67) other than painful exams.

I went for my first exam in 3 years this summer as I felt symptoms of an infection. At that time I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis which the gyn says is a result (in my case) of too little estrogen. This is not something you want to have. I am now not only using hormone cream, but had to use steroid cream as well.

I would advise you to do as much reading up as possible on the subject of AV as well as hormone therapy. There are risks involved with using them and risks involved with not using them. Get as much info from your doctor as possible. Go with a list of questions. I assume you are seeing a gynecologist and not a GP.

• Posted

I just made an appointment today to see a female gynecologist as my current male doc prescribed me a vaginal cream for BV!! I have ZERO symptoms of that and he prescribed it. Then when I questioned the nurse she was rude to me. 

I will start reading up. I just can’t believe how fast this all hit me. I was a completely different person in June. My husband and I had a great sex life and it changed overnight. My anxiety is through the roof and I’m never comfortable. 😢

• Posted

I have been in perimenopause for 5 years, starting when I was 47. Menopause is actually just a point in time when you haven’t has a period for 12 months, then you are post menopause. The symptoms you experience during the menopause transitional period (i.e. during perimenopause, the years leading up to menopause are referred to as menopausal symptoms. During this transitional period of perimenopause women experience varied symptoms, common ones include irregular and heavy periods, vaginal dryness and discomfort, hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia, mood swings, lack of energy and constant exhaustion. In fact this website lists 66 symptoms of perimenopause! Myself, I experienced increasing dryness which was effectively treated by applying natural oils (coconut oil and vit E oil) and taking sea buckthorn oil (orally) for a few years. But eventually the dryness got to the point where sex was painful so I had to use estriol cream. In fact after just two failed attempts at sex I went to my GP and got the estrogen cream. There is a danger of leaving it too late so that dryness becomes atrophy which can become so severe the damage is irreversible. Like Beverly says, women who are not having sex may not notice the deterioration of their vaginal wall. If you are experiencing discomfort as your major symptom I advise using topical HRT applied to to vagina which carries far less health risks than oral HRT because a neglible amount gets into the rest of your system. You can get pessaries, cream or a ring that lasts for 3 months. Different methods and different products suit different women and it is a meters of finding what works for you. In my case I reacted badly to the vagifem pessaries but had very good and rapid success with ovestin cream which has made my vagina young and juicy again (and sex is amazing!).
    • Posted

I have made an appointment. The thing is, I’ve been on top of it since it started, I just didn’t know what it was!!! My guns really failed me!! 

I’m happy for you and it gives me hope. 

• Posted

It's difficult to get your head around such a major change and doctors seem to want to talk in code if at all. Also, I find I can only take in so much at a time when talking to them. I usually have many questions but they just don't want to go very deep into any topic. My last regular gyn once told me I had to make another appt if I wanted to ask about a related topic! Apparently it comes down to billing.

I wasn't having sex when I was told I should use hormone cream, so I thought it was safer to avoid them as I felt no ill effects. It may prove to be, but as I now have LS as a result of having low estrogen it has certainly taught me a hard lesson. Use the only option available despite feeling it may ultimately not be safe or develop serious problems down the road.

In your case you are having these problems perhaps a little sooner than most, but you have to start making these decisions regardless. 

I found a good site today, but the moderator blocked it.  Google "care down there". Everything is in plain English. You don't have to wade through medical studies.

Best of luck and remember people have far worse health issues. Good to keep things in perspective.

• Posted

Thank you! And yes, perspective is important. I’ve been healthy my whole life and blessed. This too shall pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.