Periacetabular osteotomy for hip dysplasia coming up!

Posted , 49 users are following.

I'm 39 and having a PAO to tackle one side of my hip dysplasia in April (2012) and would really love to speak to someone whose been through it. I know all about the operation, but it's the recovery and what I will and won't be able to do that's worrying me. Anyone out there??

2 likes, 156 replies

156 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello. I would love to hear how you are doing. I had my PAO finally about 5 weeks ago and altho in myself I feel ok o have a subsidiary fracture at the bottom of my pelvis probably happened post op ... I fell when trying to answer the tesco delivery man...but would really love to hear how you are doing to give me some hope of post op activity levels.. Thanks so much xx
    • Posted

Hi there! You say you fractured the bottom of your pelvis? Would this be your sitz bone? What did the pain feel like? I'm 9 days post op, RPAO and scope. Yesterday I coughed and got this horrible pain in my op butt cheek area and felt like something moved. Happened today, too. It's hard to lay down without severe pain and getting up from a seated position hurts. Also, hurts to sit, so basically any position hurts. Otherwise, my hip pain has improved.

• Posted

Hi I am wondering if you gys got any got advice for me.. I just had a pao last Monday, I think I am managing with everything, I'm managing to get up and walk about I have walked to my corner shop for the first time to day but felt a little dizzy when I got home and sat down.. I'm don't no what to expect over the next few weeks and I'm not sure if you can over do it and end up damaging muscles.. I'm always scared I'm doin to much or if I'm not doin enough.. I managing to pick things up and put my soaks on, again I'm not sure if I should be doin this or not..
  • Posted

Hello I am due PAO on the 1st July couple weeks away.. My consultant has told me that my hip dysplasia is really bad bad will require few hour op.. I am only 21 with 2 kids am sceard how will I manage starting to worrie about it that the fact it is couple weeks away I have support of my partner and other family members.
  • Posted

Yey I have found it this discussion been looking ages..

I am 21 I am due PAO 1st July I am really nervous I have 2 kids my partner is been very supportive and all the family..

I am looking at getting staples instead of stitches is this more painful..

My consultant says I am going to be in surgery for atleast 3 hours...

I am just scared for when I am home what can and can't I do...

• Posted

HI Bethannie,

Good luck for tomorrow. I hope that your op goes smoothly.

Hopefully once you are home everyone will muck in and help you. Let your family take care of you and don't be afraid to ask for help. I would recommend sticking closely to the schedule of medicines they give you. If you can keep good control of your pain etc you will move better and sleep better. You'll probably find some days will be easier than others, but hopefully by the second and third week you'll be able to move about the house on your crutches fairly well. There is often a temptation to think that you can do more than you can,  and with two young children that may be how you feel. But just pace yourself and find ways of doing things that work for you. Things like getting in and out of the shower take some planning with help, but do get easier after a couple of weeks. Hopefully being young will be in your favour for your recovery. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Bethannie. I completely understand why you are nervous, any surgery is very stressful.  

I had a THP and have two children and a host of animals to care for. Please try not to worry it will be fine, especially as you have lots of support. Do you have some lots of help organised for the next month or so in terms of childcare? How old are your little ones? 

I found the first two weeks were tricky, and then from week three I was out doing things together and my husband went back to work (we went to see a show in London even!) and by week four I was driving and looking after the house and children completely on my own. I didn't have the help of family as they live a long way away, but I managed just fine. You need to limit what you commit to, try and make sure you rest for at least a few hours during the day, and put your health before everything just for a little while.

You will be surprised how quickly you bounce back! And besides the reasons why we have our hips replaced or surgery to improve them is so we can enjoy our children again, and be active and lead a fulfilled life. 

Good luck tomorrow - and post back if you need any help or advice - big hugs x

• Posted

Hi me again I had my post op and done all the swabs and that and I have just received

Naseptin nasal cream

I was just wondering have any of you's on here had this

Apparently something to do with my nose or something and says on the letter that it's something to do with bein sensitive to fluoxclin

• Posted

Hi, I have been given that at my pre op last week. My op is in 9 days. My surgeon is Mr Madan, I presume its to kill any bacteria that lives up your nose?x
  • Posted

When I went to the surgeon for my consultation he said it would take about 5 hours and that "he wouldn't wait two years" to get this operation done. I don't understand how he can say that when I have not had an MRI done. I'm going back this coming Thursday so I may ask. Anyone know??

• Posted

Hi there,

Have you had an X-ray? If so, then that is the scan that is used to assess a PAO requirement not an MRI as it shows the shape of the femoral head and the shallowness of the hip socket.

The length of surgery very much depends on how severe it is. If it's just the socket then 2-3hrs is normal. Perhaps, you have a problem with the femur too?

Best

Karen

• Posted

Hi I am a 15 year old guy and I have bilateral hip dysplasia. I have to get a PAO on both hips soon. The doctors I have seen said that they were amazed I have made it this far, one even said my hips looked like "a 90 year old man". I have been having pain since about the third or fourth grade. I was a champion wrestler in middle school and I had planned to carry it into high school but I had to stop. I got really depressed after that because I loved wrestling and I really wish I could get back out there regardless of my hip pain. I am pretty concerned about the surgery and I have a few questions to those who have had the surgery. How bad is the scar? I am very self conscious and I saw some pretty bad scars on the internet from the surgery and I want to know if that is a realistic fear. What is the worst part about the surgery? Do you think I will ever be able to run or wrestle again? Were you in a wheelchair for any period of time? Lastly, how uncomfortable is it to sit? I hope I am just paranoid but I really don't want to have this surgery but I will probably ruin my cartilage if I don't. Please help!!!! Thanks so much!!!

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm 39 and had my first of 2 PAOs in London just over 3 weeks ago. Obviously all cases are different and if you've only got to 15 and it's already being described as the condition of a 90 year old, it sounds more severe than mine, so I can only go on my personal experience. I've suffered though, since the age of 10. If your hip is not arthritic and a standard PAO is performed, then the scar is amazing. Depending on the surgeon (my surgeon - Witt - in London has fine tuned it so it's only about 12cm long and sits within a relatively small bikini bottom / small trunks covering. In fact, I commented to a friend at the pool while I was doing hydrotherapy yesterday that now the bruising has all gone, you wouldn't know I'd had an op. My surgeon also uses glue rather than stitches so the scar is really insignificant. However, that all said, if you are in this much pain; is it really a serious consideration for you?

Run or wrestle, I can't comment but low impact sports are advised rather than high impact so I would have thought running would be out. As for a wheelchair, I only needed that when I want to go out for a trip and it would be too far to walk. For the 1st 5 days in hospital I was staying in bed most of the time, but after that, I sat upright in the chair to eat meals and have a break from the bed. I can honestly say the worst thing about the procedure so far has been the constipation!! That and the lack of independence which as you're 15, you wouldn't have to worry about so much.

Anyway, I hope all that helps...

Karen

PS. Happy to send you a scar pic if you want to see.

• Posted

Thank you so much!!!! That helps so much!!! I feel much better about it now but I am definitely a little timid still.....
  • Posted

Hi all,I have been reading through all your useful comments and feedback. I'm due to have my PAO op in 6 weeks. I'm 23 and although young I had been complaining to my Drs about hip pain for 4 years. Unfortunately for me my hips have now caused other problems in my knees and back. I got referred to Mr witt after I ended up in hospital with back spasms and finally someone listened and I had my hips MRI it has been a long road getting this far I'm not nervous about anything more looking forward to getting my mobility back. I have had horses all my life and been a keep competitor but due to my hips I have this up a year ago now. I was just wondering if anyone has been a horse rider as well and after the operation did you ride again? Excuse the spelling mistakes I have had a stupid advert across my screen and couldn't correct what I have written as I can't see it

• Posted

Hey Abbie, I am soon to have a pao in both hips and I saw a video of a girls story that had it done at Children's Hospital Of Pennsylvania. She recovered very well and I think she even started running competitively afterwards. You can watch the video on their website if you go under acetabular hip dysplasia I think.

Best wishes, praying for you!

Colton

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.