Perianal abscess/ fistula. Operation booked for tomorrow

Posted , 2 users are following.

On Aug 20 of this year I had a hemmerhoidectomy, which was incredibly painful and left me with a few complications. I developed an infection during the recovery for it (2 weeks in) and was given a weeks worth of antibiotics, which seemed to take care of it.

About a month into the recovery, I noticed a new kind of pain developing several hours after having bowel movements in the morning. It was a sharp stinging right at the top of my rectum. On inspection, I had a very small white dot right on the top left corner of my butt hole that looked just like a face pimple that was ready to pop. It was small enough that to the touch, you couldn't even feel the bump, I had to see it in a mirror to realize. With some pressure applied around it, it popped and released a bit of puss. Doing that completely relieved me of the pain for a couple days until I noticed it fill up again until it was popped. This basically has repeated for about a month. Every 2 days or so, I need to pop it and then I feel great until it swells up again.

I went back to the surgeon who did my 1st operation, who did an office exam and ordered a CT scan with contrast. A fistula didn't show up on it, but she did see the dot and suspected at least a perianal abscess. I was then booked for what will essentially be exploratory surgery tomorrow at 4pm. Depending on the location and what they find, I may wake up with a seton or a laid open fistula. I think that just because of how close this is to the hole and how high up it is, that they will likely need to do a seton.

My big fears going into it are like many others. I worry about losing continence from cutting sphincter muscle mainly. Going back into that operation room after my ordeal with the hemorrhoid surgery is also a worst nightmare come true.

I'll update this again when I come too tomorrow and figure out what's been done to me but in the meantime, any pro tips on fistula surgery are very welcome. I had a lot of information going into the hemorrhoid one, but I am really going in blind here...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, just in reply to your message and so you don't feel alone, I have suffered very similar issue to you.

I have had 3 GA's now to investigate, and inject botox to the sphincter muscle to get rid of a fissure that had prevented me leaving the house for 4 months, the worst pain ever, far worse than childbirth!

7 months later when the pain was still there I changed consultants and he found I had a Fistula and Sepsis, cause by an abcess that had probably been there for the full 7 months, from an infection shortly after 3rd third surgery.

On 16th May this year I had another GA where the Fistula was Laid Open and Sepsis drained and at the same time a Haemorrhoid banded, this was very painful for 10 days only and then things seemed to be perfect.

Over the last few weeks I am now suffering with more haemorrhoids which I am now waiting to be banded again in Day Surgery.

This saga has been on going now for almost 3 years, but the Laying Open of the Fistula was by far the easiest surgery recovery wise.

So I wish you well tomorrow, am sure it will help you a lot.

Let me know how it goes, but am here if you ever need to talk as no one knows how painful this is unless you have been through it. Consultant even said its the worst area to give pain relief for as nothing seems to work.

Take care.

Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.