Perianal fistula external opening slowly changing location?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a perianal abscess this past July and ended up getting an I&D July 27th. Which then turned into a fistula. I was offered a lay open procedure but decided until after I conceive to do it since I don't want anything getting in the way of my current trying to conceive journey and the daily drainage is manageable atm. But I've been noticing the opening, which was originally more I'm the middle of the perianal region, has migrated to about a centimeter from my anus. At this rate the fistula hole might end up more inside the anus which freaks me out. Is this normal? Would it get worse if it keeps moving in that direction? Does this mean it's healing? The drainage gets better/less with each passing month and I'm on month 8 now. I know they can exist for years but it's moving so wtf? Thanks for reading!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

ElleA- I don’t have any advice for you, but if it’s moving, I’d be worried that it may be branching out or shifting internally? Or maybe it’s slowly getting more superficial which would be good. Did the doctor say how long recovery would be if you did the lay open procedure- I’m assuming fistuloty? My worry would be that the fistula would become complex over time and laying open would no longer be an option. I went in for a simple fistulotomy and woke up with draining seton as it went through too much muscle and had to have the LIFT procedure 6 weeks later. It may be worth it to go ahead and have the lay open procedure to be done with it? But I completely understand not wanting to mess up trying to conceive. My advice would be to consult your doctor about why it may be moving and then go from there. 
    • Posted

Since drainage has gotten less and less over the months I can only hope it's becoming more superficial!  But yes, you're right- it could be getting more complex inside.  Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely think more on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.