Pericarditis just diagnosed please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently had what I would say was the flu.  I was knocked off my feet for two weeks and ended up having to go to a&e to be nebulised as I couldn't breathe. I was then diagnosed with pericarditis. I was told to take ibuprofen 200mg three times a day. Well this didn't do anything and I was back In A&e in a lot of pain and told to add 325 asprin to the ibuprofen. This is helping but hasn't stopped the pain. Also when the pain starts it triggers lots of ectopic heartbeats which In turn are causing severe headaches. Once I take my next dose of ibuprofen it stops. Can anyone advise if they have had any of these symptoms and what they do when their medication is starting to wear off. I don't want to overdose on painkillers. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Caroline,

I totally sympathise as I have been there and had pericarditis and it's no fun at all.

Mine came on after a bout of flu and exercising. I recall the excruciating sharp chest pains and feeling like I was having a heart attack. The only possition to help was bending forwards.

I spent one week total bed rest ( in hospital) for the pain all I took was paracetamol at least that what i think it was as the hospital issues it.

However you can take ibuprofen and paracetamol together at the same time or In between each dose ie paracetamol then 2 hours later ibuprofen and so on. This should keep you topped up.

I didn't have ectopic beats at the time mine came a few years later so I cant help with that combination. Just rest completely as you know pericarditis is a swelling of the fluid sack around the heart therefore putting pressure on the beating heart. It's not good to make the heart beat harder in this case. Plenty  of rest is key, like total bed rest,  I was told not to worry about it as it's not a problem with he heart itself.

It's effectively pluresy for the heart as pluresy is a fluid build up around the lungs.

I wish you all the best, get well soon.

• Posted

Thank you chalky for your reply.  I had two days at the gym the week that this all started and I hadn't been to the gym for a couple of years so I think this may have impacted on things. It's strange how it didn't hurt when I had the flu but hurt afterwards. The hospital won't let me stay in as they say that I am at risk of getting something on top of what I already have and this won't help.  Did you get stabbing pains on an off?  Do I take tablets for one week, two weeks or three?  If I stop taking the tablets I'm fine for one day then the following I'm literally on my knees.  It is making me feel nautious as well. 
    • Posted

It's sounds just like me! That's why they always say never exercise if your ill. Sounds to me like to had a virus in your body as you trained much like happened to me.

I had to take the pain killers everyday for two weeks.

It was a few years ago for me so that's possibly why the hospital policy has changed.

Yes the stabbing pains were so intense they take your breath away and double you over in pain. You tend to fell ok in yourself when you don't have the pain but keep on with the painkillers regardless and rest is the most important thing!!! Do not raise the heart rate if you can help it.

• Posted

I've just left the doctors surgery. They have said that hopefully at the end of this week the pain should start to reduce. Told to take 300mg aspirin three times a day and 2 paracetamol four times a day. Just hope that by not taking the anti inflammatory it doesn't trigger the heart to go in an abnormal rhythm again. My pain threshold has been pushed to its limit. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.