Perimenopause and Alcohol

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi - has anyone experienced any "improvement" in symptoms after removing alcohol from their life?  We're drinking sometimes just to try and cope with this complete hideousness, but fully acknowledge that wine probably isn't helping any of the symptoms, and if anything is making them worse.  I just haven't met or heard from anyone before whose situation has really improved after knocking the booze on the head.  Anyone?!

?Same question also applies to smoking......  rolleyes

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, to be honest, I can't drink alcohol like before. More happy with a cup of tea. I find I get bad hangovers!!!

• Posted

Dear Lou,

I have to give up my vine and any sugar once I started my lovely peri journey . I have noticed that my burnings ( I have severe burnings, pains , pin and needles all over my body) are definitely increasing with vine and sugar consumption. Not to mention that I am a social drinker and was only having one or two glasses of vine a week . I ate a really small cone of an ice cream yesterday and started to burn more right away . I exercise a lot and walk and it helps a lot. Good luck with everything.

• Posted

hi lou ,, i love a drink ,, and yes raging hot flashes and sleeplessness every time ,, i cut it out now unless we have a social event then i stick to 3 ot 4 glasses with soda water , i keep rehydrated it does help a little , my sister is in peri menapause and cannot dring without getting raging migrains so i would say yes its a curse xx
  • Posted

I also lost interest actually in alcohol around the same time my hormones plummeted me into menopause. I do not feel good at all if I drink a glass of wine which i used to enjoy everday. 

Now im certain i dont metabolize the alcohol like before, its just a knarly feeling the next day, changes everything from sleep to mood to energy. Not worth it for me.

• Posted

I used to get hot flushes after drinking wine and early peri would get headaches with drinking and feel knocked out but now I seem to be able to drink normally, perhaps occasionally rose wine might trigger an occular migraine! X
  • Posted

I find that alcohol relaxes me. Of course, overdoing it is no good, but a few glasses of wine while sitting on the porch and reading does wonders!
  • Posted

I still smoke, stopped the alcohol though as I noticed that after just one glass I become very tipsy, hot flashes and pain in my joints nxt morning. Also stopped drinking coffee as that made the anxiety worse. Still battling to quit smoking though.
  • Posted

I am a wine lover, but I do find at certain times during these peri phases I go off it for extended periods of time.  At this stage of the game I have no issues with 2 glasses of wine in the evening.

Smoking...ha!  I quit last summer for 4 months right at the beginning of a HUGE peri upset.  My whole world turned upsdie down and I landed in a deep rabbit hole.  The mood swings from peri and the mood swings from quitting smoking combined into a tornado of emotions that i just couldn't take anymore.  I started smoking again and fear even trying to quit now, lol!

Listen to your body, it will tell you.  Everyone reacts differently to things

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.