Perimenopause and Eyes

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to find out if any of you who are going through Perimenopause have noticed a change with their eyes?

Can Perimenopause affect the eyes?

I recently noticed a change with my short vision and had a check up at the Opticians who confirmed a change in the past 2 years.

I've always been told I have 20 20 vision and at my last appointment 2 years ago, was told their was a very slight change in one eye but nothing to be concerned about.. I was prescribed reading glasses to wear only when my eyes felt tired at end of day etc...

This time I've been told their is more of a change, which has occured within the last 2 years since last appt.. naturally this is bothering me.. which is why I'm wondering if that's another symptom of Perimenopause? or just age?

Any information will be greatly received..

Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Yes I def feel like my eyesight has gotten worse since been in peri for about 4 years.

• Edited

Yes, had blurred vision as soon as peri hit and had no idea what was happening. I had to get new prescription glasses. Now that my severe anxiety symptoms have calmed I may need to get another new prescription. It was very hard to deal with when it hit but, in time it will get better. xo

• Edited

Hi Dora, Hormones can effect your eyes, so can age, unfortunately its the double whammy. It can be really bothersome but, if you keep up regular eye exams, it can ease your mind that its nothing serious. Other health conditions can effect eye sight but, if you are having dryness, small boosts in your prescription esp. gradually its probably age/hormone related. I have had glasses since GR4 but, they got worse in my 30s(surgical hormone changes). I always lose my glasses, as I take mine off to read, so I taught my chihuahua what my glasses are called....when I lose them I yell "ZOEY... find Mommy's eyes, I lost my glasses" and she will look around and sit or stand where they are!!! Funniest thing ever!! I get Migraines too, so visual issues can be really scary & frustrating, I totally feel your anxiety(lost my vision completely for a few minutes, 3x from a headache) Be reassured you aren't the only one and the changes you are going through are totally normal!! But, if you have sudden increased symptoms call your eye Dr. & they can tell you if you need to have an exam or if they want to have a look...Hopefully you find some peace of mind(I had to stoop to a granny chain as I lost my glasses so many times, Zoey started rolling her eyes when I called her...lol) Best Wishes💒☮🌈🍀♾🎶❤🐾

• Posted

Hi...Haha, that's brilliant...you have cheered me up no end. Thank you!

Migraines and headaches are very annoying but fortunately I don't suffer with them too much anymore. One less thing!

I do get tired eyes though... can't win, right?!

Hormones are so fun!

Your dog sounds awesome! Hope I don't lose my glasses, they're being prescribed for reading only so I will see how I get on with them.

Take care x

• Posted

Reading glasses should be good, yes, if you don't lose them or sit on them if your eyes are both the same RX reading glasses are cheaper at places like Walmart, if not, you can pop one lense out...lol..they're trying to talk me into bi-focals....I tried a sample and it was as bad as a Migraine, like I just got off a fair ride...ewww....Good Luck with the new glasses🧐

• Edited

my vision has been terrible , i noticed a big decline in my eyesight just as every thing else went wrong as well , i now wear contact lenses as kept losing my glasses well forgetting where i had put them , yes another sign . memory ... its just endless

• Edited

Hi Dora

Oh yes, my short vision has gotten worse with peri. I have always had a perfect vision but not anymore. I have to use reading glasses now. Guess it is a mix of age and peri...

• Troldepus
  • Posted

since peri started, have been having blurred vision and it scares me alot. i have gone for text several times and they said nothing is wrong with my eyes. i dont know what else to do but to trust God totally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.