Perimenopause and irregular heart beat

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone experienced strange chest and heart beats during perimenopause?

I've had ectopics in the past so am aware of them and how they feel, but this is awful.

I'm sure it's worse just before my period. It's such a strange and horrible feeling and leaves you feeling a bit odd afterwards.

Is this normal for anyone else?

I've read that hormones play a big part in heart irregularities before and leading upto the menopause.

Thank you

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Magnesium helps to ease heart palps - very common during this fun journey to experience these - don’t stress! 
  • Posted

I have these. I understand that it's common for peri and meno ladies and high on the symptoms list. Mine come n go, more right before I have a period....which are super irregular now so the palps are a sign that I'm about to flow. Then sometimes they disappear for months. Been dealing with them off n on for 5 years and had tests to check heart ,with normal results.

Scary but I'm sure you're fine, too!

• Posted

Yes but you should get it checked out with a cardiologist. Dropping hormones can cause benign heart palpitations or it can cause heart disease to speed up. I'd have a check up to give yourself some peace of mind.

• Posted

These are common symptoms. Def see a cardiologist to rule out anything else, but knowing your heart is healthy will help you take it in stride. Go easy on caffeine & alcohol. I agree with the magnesium recommendation too. I started taking 250mgs twice a day. 

• Posted

Yes, I've had them off and on for the past 2 yrs. I had a full cardiac work up done. My heart is fine but yes the palpitations are annoying and can be scarey.

• Posted

Again... Yup! Boy I feel like I'm saying that a lot whenever someone asks if anyone else has experienced something. The fluttery heartbeat drives me nuts. It doesn't seem to be related to anything..sometimes I'm just sitting around and off it goes! Another weird symptom.

• Posted

When you get your heart checked make sure they do a carotid artery scan which is in your neck. It will give you a better idea if plaque is being laid. The stress tests won't show anything until it has hit a critical point.

• Posted

Thank you ladies. Feeling reassured!

I've actually had a few checks and been told that all is fine - ECG and echo test which showed a very slight leak in one of the valves. I've been informed that this is very common and normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. Naturally, it is a worry though..

I am definitely more aware of flutters and palpitations since perimenopause started And it comes on whenever.

Might have to try the magnesium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.