Perimenopause and loss of appetite

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone else struggle to eat a full dinner during peri/meno??

And how about having horrible dreams in the run up to period ?? not to mention the fatigue! I feel too tired to eat at times. Is this normal?

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, when Peri first hit me due to anxiety and fatigue I barely ate. Some days I forgot to eat. Eat small meals though to keep your energy up. Try to eat protein with each meal. Very common. Over several months my appetite slowly started to return. It will! Hang in there!!

• Posted

Hi Dora,

I am also experiencing a change in appetite that seems to be related to hormonal swings. Prior to age 53, I was always hungry and was starting to gain weight. Over the last few months my appetite has been decreasing and I've lost a few pounds.All I want to eat is junk. I know it's not a great idea but everything healthy such as fruits and veggies make me ill. Every day it is a new symptom and I'm ready to talk to someone about hormone treatment.

Do you take any medications? I take Synthroid.

I have always had some vivid dreams so it is hard to compare. If I wake up at 3:00 am and go back to sleep the dreams between 3:00 and 6:00 am are really bizarre. Maybe you aren't getting enough deep sleep hence the fatigue?

I hope you get your appetite back and feel better soon!

Marina

• Posted

Yes dear..Facing both...you r not alone.

Me having horrible dreams about my family and friends during peri

...mostly at 3 to 6 am time..i get up with scary feeling and soo many bad thoughts....

And in starting of peri i donot feel like eating anything...having vomiting feel if i eat .....i lose 5 kg wt at that time ....but now my appetite is normal now ..Gaining weight again .

tk

• Posted

I lost 40 lbs in the beginning. I still dont have same appetite 2 years later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.