Perimenopause and normal hormone levels

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have any ladies been diagnosed with perimenopause or believe they have it but have normal hormone levels when blood checked?

Thank you x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

yes Dora that is very common.  It's one the the most frustrating things about perimenopause.  What you need to keep in mind, this is just a snapshot in time.  Not the total picture.  It's also important that labs are drawn on say the 2 or 3 day of your cycle.  This shows the lows you are experiencing, & how high your FSH goes to encourage your ovaries.  I've often said women feel the effects of hormone changes, long before the labs catch up.  

• Posted

Yes, it is very frustrating!

I've had mine checked a few times at different times and always cone back normal.

Couple of docs have said they're not reliable tests and they go more by symptoms experienced. Interestingly, they've been male docs.

Been having alot of fatigue recently and have had every other classic symptom for a year and half. Irregular periods, mood changes, weepy, heart flutters, hair loss...list is endless!

• Posted

I had mine checked a couple of times came back normal but my dr said that I had to many symptoms and like the other poster said the bloodwork isn’t super reliable my dr is male to and because I am a nurse my dr would ask what bl
    • Posted

Hi Chrisann

It's so frustrating because most docs are textbook and refuse to believe..absolute nightmare.

I've recently been experiencing weird fatigue which has floored me for almost a month. Haven't had it this bad before. Felt absolutely terrible. Low blood pressure at times, lightheadedness, vertigo, wooshing sound in ears, unsteady feeling..

Had bloods done, which showed slightly raised bpn levels. Doc got me in for ECG and D-Dimer test which were fine. Waiting to have Echo test.

If this is peri then it's horrendous.

Amy advice or tips woukd be great.

Thanks x

• Posted

Omg it is horrendous...it may just all be peri I have so many odd things pain in my stomach then it goes away pains in my back that go to the front of my chest thinking I’m having a heart attack and it’s a muscle spasm ughhhh for me the periods are the worst not knowing when it will come then the spotting in between and the horrific cramps I get which I always got but the last five years have been a nightmare with symptoms  I have managed to lose weight hoping it would help with my hormones but it really hasn’t ughhhh I just wish this would end already 
    • Posted

Yes! The irregular periods I can handle just not most of the other symptoms.

Insomnia, light headedness and fatigue are for me the absolute worst.

Should be a magic pill for all this haha.

• Posted

I think I've spoken to you before Chrisann.. I remember you saying you're a nurse. It's comforting listening to your opinions and experiences.

• Posted

I have actually i have my prolactin test was high and the doctor re test it and came back normal even though I feel all the peri meno symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.