Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there I am so glad I found this website it was only due to pure luck I am in premenopause and have been

for two years I have really bad flushes tired etc what most woman have but I have started the painful elbows knees you name it and now suffer from aniexty due to the fact what is happening here im am 50 but feel like

an old lady I have had Tests rumotied arthristis also I was so certain that it would come back as postive but it didnt I thought maybe bone cancer I have done alot of googling and it to was scary my partner had to ban. Me from it my male doctor tells me it is from stress you will be fine I explained that I was going through menopause but he wasnt really listening to me I have had no one to consult with and dont know were to go from. But I am so glad to have read what everyone has written and maybe I am not mad I like to thank everyone. Out there

• Posted

Hi Lesley, thank you for getting us all together. It's quite comforting to know I am going through the same symptoms as other meno women, all of a sudden I don't feel so alone and unsure. This is so refreshing and far better than going to the GP. What amazes me is the scale of meno symptoms, how debilitating, we are almost crippled. I don't know why night flushes are called night flushes because I'm an expert at the daytime ones. I usually get an overwhelming sensation of feeling insecure just seconds prior to a flush like you would when adrenaline kicks in. Then comes the beetroot juice to fill my head and then it's never mind insecure it's total embarrassement if I'm chatting with anyone. I had frozen shoulder about ten years ago and I've never known pain like it. You can't imagine the endocrine system get so out of sync. The joint aches are only snapshots of pain and completely manageable but what a relief to hear others go through this as I too thought I was going mad. I am 54 and so glad to have found such a great website and such an interesting discussion. Thank you to everyone who took part, I have found it extremely informative.
  • Posted

hello everyone thank god for this website I'm 49 but still think I'm 30 lol I began a year ago suffering anxiety and slight depression with no motivation. I had a perimenopausal test which the gp said was negative ! 10 months on and my periods are up the wall . hot flushes headaches. dizziness and horrendous neck ache which I've noticed is quite common . I don't want to take hrt as mum died at 49 with breast cancer. any other tips and reccomendations i would be grateful for ! I am now very quickly feeling my age :-/ thanku
  • Posted

I enjoy getting email updates when someone adds a post. I don't feel so alone with my aching joints and other symptoms and it is good to know others are also finding this forum and feeling more reassured.

On a lighter note, another "symptom" not mentioned in the usual Perimenopause list is "invisible woman" syndrome, which I suffer from particularly when out shopping for certain items like clothes, technology etc ....smile

• Posted

maybe were not invisible we just think we are ? :-) x
  • Posted

Hello Ladies

I am sorry that there are so many of us here, and in this hellish menopause pain club!! But I am so GLAD that many of you have found this site and have been helped by it.Why did no one tell us what meno was really like? I guess it is the same as childbirth...you have to experience it to fully understand it. We are NOT going mad, and all the pain and symptoms we have are real. I felt like I had aged 40 years overnight...hobbling around like a 90 year old. NO ONE told me menopause would be like this, and it seems no doctor understands it!! There must be some menopausal GP's out there, but I have yet to find one. So, we have to help ourselves.

I still have grating, snapping, creaking joints, and sometimes feel like the Tin Man....but since I recovered from my Frozen Shoulder I am not in as much pain.I still have sore neck and back, and am definitely developing a slight hump at the base of my neck....like a rounded back...which is probably first signs of osteoporosis. My mother has this too.For years I was on stupid faddy low fat Rosemary Conley diets, no fat or milk or cheese...so I have probably done myself no favours. I now drink one skinny latte a day, and eat wilted spinach every day (full of calcium, more than in raw spinach) I just buy it in bags from Asda, wash it, and steam it for five mins, salt pepper and a little nutmeg with some grated cheese on the top. I love it, but I know it is not to everyone's taste! Doctors tell us NOT to take calcium supplements because it can cause furred arteries...and we have to look after our hearts.

I have not gone back on HRT since I had the problem with high blood pressure. BUT - I am thinking about it. I am having horrendous sweats - they seem to come in cycles. Three weeks where I get one or two flushes, mostly at night - then bam, a week of 'sweat city'. I cannot drink a hot drink or use a hairdryer without sweating like a pig. Speaking of hair - my hair is thinning, and has lost all it's ooomph. I just feel so OLD.

I also have terrible anxiety - waking in the early hours with this irrational fear. It is like I am standing on the edge of a cliff, or contemplating going to the dentist (my worst fear, lol) ...butterflies in the stomach. I just feel terrified for no reason, and sometimes it lasts all day. Apparently it is to much adrenaline in the system, another symptom of Meno as the adrenal glands go haywire. Gee, thanks.

I am thinking of trying estradiol patches and uterogestan pessaries (progesterone.) I swore I would not try HRT again, but I cannot take the sweats and anxiety any more.

Will post back soon.

• Posted

hello have u tried fx menopause tabs suggested by doctor Chris Steele from this morning programme I found out about them myself today aparantly they do the same as hrt without the side effects. good luck x
  • Posted

Update from me.

My blood test showed several things the doctor wanted to follow up. Mainly a high Uric Acid level. She is now treating me for Gout. I have been on regular painkillers for 2 weeks and started on Allopurinol tablets last Wednesday. Boy oh boy! Since starting the Allopurinol I have had all my previous pain areas flare up at the same time. Not nice, but expected from the Allopurinol starting to work for gout, which is why she started me on the painkillers before the Allopurinol. I am encouraged that this might be the answer to what has been causing the pains over the past year and that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

My blood tests did not confirm perimenopause, or menopause, but doc says that from my history I'm definately there.

I'll post again to let you know how things go.

• Edited

OMG - I just googled pain and menopause and was provide this shining star!!! I can stop worring...i am not alone. Just turned 50 in April and have been having a multitude of issues. I searched the internet and found another site that listed 34 Menopause Symptoms!! What! 34!!! Are you kidding me. I knew of about 7 or 8, but 34? Start reading and it was like a light from the heavens above!!! Now this site. Everything I have been going through and dating back to the last 10 years...explained... finally. I thought I was loosing my mind. Yes another Symptom - panic disorder. Now pain. I feel like I am 80. I sit for more than 10 minutes, and I can't get up off my butt. My last job I was told I had "an odor" in my performance review. I as mortified!! All of these things = menopause!! Why are we not told of these. I didn't have anyone or talk to about it. No females left in my family to discuss this with. Didn't have a family doctor until just last month. Boy will she have a list of things to discuss with me at my first physical.

I only read the first few posts, but I will get back to ALL of them. Thank you all for sharing. I guess it is all trial and error for now. I have seen so much it will be hard to decise what is best for me. For starters, I think hiting the gym for more of a regular routine is best. And yes beat another symptom - depression which stops me from doing just about anything.

Keep the posts coming -- love the information and knowing that I am not alone....

• Posted

Welcome, Kit.  Hahahah, actualy, there is a list of 65 symptoms, posted for one of our friends.  PERI tecnicaly starts around 35 and everything is a symptom, from the first irregularities or small changes.  Unfortunately there is no good test dor that - often women go to their doctors complaining about spotting. They test them and there is nothing wrong, even though the spottings became regular, or constant funghi infection, etc, etc, etc.  But  things get rougher in the end...  It is a regular complaint here that doctors know very little about that and if the hormone tests do not show anything - and it is commun - they are just not understanding or helpful at all, so be preppared.  At least they will test you for all other things and if nothing else comes up - hopefully - it is peri for elimination, lol. 
  • Posted

Thank you Julie - will have a look at the tabs

Good luck Tania and Kit, thanks for posting x

• Posted

well I am back from the GP today too... happily blood pressure is back to normal (it flared earlier in the year while going through a very very stressful family death/family arguments), and back on lowest dose Crestor as the Dr said when I was on it before my cholesterol went down well... aches and pains I am just living with, but I wonder how long for? 55 soon, and can you believe in the past 12 months have had 2 x 2 months of periods.... last two were June/Jul so fingers crossed the damn things STOP!! Everything else all fine, so just putting up with the aches looks like the future for some time. I have had not many sweats at all but have certainly had the pounding heart/palpitions, anxiety and more .. great time isn't it! Throw in a retired husband to the mix and things can certainly be 'interesting'
  • Posted

Hi ladies.

I just had to share this with you.

I was on HRT from the age of 50 to 58 because I had severe hot flushes which left me exhausted (know the routine? Your body wakes you just before the surge starts during the night, so you throw off the covers to minimise the sweat, you fall asleep while waiting for your body to cool, then wake up because you are cold.. covers back on, back to sleep until the next one.. absolutely exhausting - torture!) The (combined)HRT was a Godsend and stopped the flushes.. However, after 5 years I was found to have some fibroids, which over time grew to 8cm. Not relishing the idea of a hysterectomy, and now 58, I thought I'd try coming off the HRT, hoping the sweats would have improved, to see if the fibroids would shrink. After 6 months scans showed they had reduced in size by half, and the hot flushes gradually subsided.. even though I was still woken 3 or more times a night.. I thought I could live with that. HOWEVER.. during the course of the year, since coming off HRT I began to get joint pains. At first I could cope with them.. aqua fit classes are great, and I go twice a week.. but over the months the pains in my joints progressed from just one hip and my back to both hips, both knees, thumbs and, recently, both elbows. The pain got so bad that to get up from sitting in a restaurant was agony.. or out of bed in the morning.. I hobbled like a 90 year old. One day the pain was so bad I was in tears, so I went back to see my gynaecologist and asked if he thought my severe pains were due to coming off the HRT. He said quite possibly.. that not only does HRT help prevent osteoporosis, but it can help with arthritis/joint pain too. I decided to test it out, and went back onto the combined HRT at the beginning of this month.. and after 10 days... the pain has gone from 9/10 to 2/10 The relief.!! I can't tell you. I don't care if the fibroids grow back.. honestly ladies.. I'd rather be laid up for a few weeks following a hysterectomy, if it comes to that, than be in agony with my joints every single day for the foreseeable future. I intend to stay on HRT for good, because the quality of life it gives me - minimal joint pain, no hot flushes, vaginal lubrication (as a bonus!) makes it the best invention ever, as far as I am concerned.

• Posted

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories. Having suffered for 8y with many of the symptoms you have all described and having had similar GP experiences, there have been times when I thought it was all up in my head, even though the pain and 'other symptoms' were very real. I am so happy to have found you and know I am not going bonkers, although I am sad that so many others share the same pain and other debilitating aspects of human female ageing that is menopause.

Personally I have found yoga (I have practised it most days for over 40 years, just a little stretching makes me feel so much better in the mornings if I am well enough to do it), McTimoney Chiropractic when joint stiffness becomes unbearable and massage have all helped me overcome some of the more debilitating episodes of joint pain. Talking with my friends has also been a real comfort. At 56 I am one of the older ladies in my circle of friends/work colleagues and being able to keep smiling, giving the younger girls a laugh about how awful it is when you are having what I term 'an old lady day', makes me see the brighter side. It is also giving them some education on what they might expect in the years to come so I feel I am being useful on that score at least. I am recommending this page to many of my younger friends so that they can learn from our experience. Keep going girls and thanks for all your input. Fingers crossed the GP's in the UK will pick up this thread and take on board all that we have discovered for ourselves.

• Posted

thanku everyone for all your posts. has anyone suffered aching in the bk of their neck ? I've Mathis for a couple of months some days worse than others. with stiffness too .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.