Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi lesley, I was so pleased to read your message, not pleased that you are suffering, but glad its not just me an dthat I'm not imagining it or going mad.

I am 47 and was peri menapausal about 2-3 years ago, when my aching joints started. I can't fault my GP who has put me in for many test, all of which have come back negative, which is great news in some respects, but having read yours and other messages, I have come to the conclusion that it is a hormonal thing, but my confusion is that I haven't had a period for 2 years, so presumably am post menapause, but periodically still get really sore joints, with no other apparent triggers, apart from maybe drinking too much tea? I haven't any suggestions re helping relieve the pain, because nothing seems to help me very much, and I sympathise with you, I too am in agony sometimes. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the professionals. Good luck

• Posted

Hi-ya

Reading your post, its the same for me.  Normal periods started aged 15, two children first when I was 24, second when I was 26, then from this age until I was

50 I had the contraceptive injection, during this time no periods and present not periods at all.   Menapause - don't know.  As I hit 50 its been all down hill, heart insomnia, palpitations, pain in toes, instep ?plantafasilias? knee, hip, back, chest, shoulders arms and worst of all ?Tennis Elbow? first right elbow then left - so painful everyday activities almost impossible, no arm strength.  No hot flushes as such but slowly get hotter & hotter or colder & colder, when cold pain increases in my joints.  All tests including blood tests are normal.  Doctors blame estrogen levels and suggest, painkillers, sleeping tables &  HRT.  Fill my body with chemicals and suffer their side effects - no way - not for me.   Find applying heat to painfull areas helps, also food supplements.  Also get reflux pain and irretable stomach (gall stone pain) trying to cut out/down intake of dairy products, fatty, deep fried & spicy foods, even alcohol 1 glass ok, red wine worst.  Pains increases when diet not adhered to.  I'm 53 in July, not sure how long this goes on, any one else got any comments, advice?

• Posted

Hi there,

I must have missed your post, just read it now. I have the same stomach problems as you, all started with the peri menopause 4 or five years ago.Doctors say I have atrophic Gastritis. I find my only relief from aches and pains comes from diet. I've cut out diary, alcohol, fatty foods and grains (not easy), but it works. I've had all of your symptoms even the toe pain, and I use heat for the pain when I've been stupid enough to deviate from my diet. I didn't believe that hormonal changes were the cause at first, but now I've read on here that a few women have had the same experience it's pretty obvious. I'm also toughing it out, I don't want HRT. vitamin D3 seems to be helping, I also take zinc and Omega 3. I'd love to take B vits but they hurt my stomach. No period since January and I'm 52 this year, I'm hoping my body will settle down soon. You're not alone, stick with what you're doing. xx

• Posted

I too have all sorts of aches and pains esp in neck, face jaw . I am trying the anti inflammatory diet at the moment so am hopeful it will help. How long didit take before you noticed a difference from diet?
    • Posted

hi mooma,

Hard to say because at the beginning I was always cheating and putting myself back to square one! after a while i listened to my body and got the message! Being strict it took about 4 to 5 months (my last lapse was Xmas and I feel exceptionally good now). Yesterday we had a few friends around and I treated myself to the tiniest mini meringue and a couple of tonic waters, this morning I'm a little stiff but a strict day will sort it out. I think we have to listen to our bodies. take care.

• Posted

Hi Kerry do you have a link to a good website re the anti inflammatory diet I so need to give this a go - having said that I can't imagine life without sweetness but would really try to give it up if it stopped the joint muscle tenderness as I am now quite depressed with not being able to exercise at the intensity I used to and am now gaining weight :-(
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

To be honest I must have read them all! but they all say much the same thing: avoid sugar! My diet is closer to the Paleo diet (lots of stuff about this on the web) on this you can have berries and certain fruits which should satisfy your craving for sugar. don't be tempted to go for aspartame sugar substitutes as they are very acidic and therefore infammatory. If you're not sure about a food google it, if it's acidic avoid it. I've found once you're off sugar the craving fades after a while and you don't miss it so much. social occasions are hard though. The good news is you lose weight!

• Posted

I agree Kerry. I've been avoiding sugar and refined carbs, dairy and wheat. I'm including lots of seeds, nuts and fresh stuff and I have lost weight( I couldn't shift it before) still waiting to see if it helps long term with pain etc. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Xx
  • Posted

hi lesley and all ladies who suffer  the affects of menopause. as we know one size doesnt fit all. i had early menopause or so they say at43 and i looked at my family history and the risk of female cancers . took the hrt and never looked back . 8 yrs later and the doctor telling me at every 6 monthly appt  fr hrt to come off it in 2 years  .i have reseached all my options and have found a product called nutrisionFX made fr mung beans . so far no sweats, flushes   how ever i am a sports massage therapist and need  my body to be able to apply pressure for manipulation of muscles and joints , and have found that my lateral collateral ligaments on outside of knee are  sore again so i will be back to gp for progesterone eg cream . but in the mean time i am rubbing in either movilat cream fr pharmacy or glucosamine cream  if u take oil of evening primrose 500capsule  x omega 3oil  500 to 1000 capsule these are good for tendons and ligaments  .take for min 2months as it may help you guys as it has me .  i found like most people  that the research on menopause is out dated  for the modern women . we still want to enjoy life not to be in pain with dry skin and a bearded chin lol thats another topic    regards toni 
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

This is the first time I have been on this site and its been an eye opener. I am now on the menopause and have so many of the problems that i have read here on this site.  Weight gain, aching joints, severe at times. Inside of arm back of legs, hips, just everywhere really. I am on HRT and have a rfeally brilliant lady doctor but the symptoms still persist.  I have had tests for Thryoid but all seems okay but all my sysmtoms mirror thyroid.  Have never had a test for vitamin D but am going to go and buy some as soon as possible.

At least I now know I am not alone.  Thanks for the input.  Just spent the last half hour crying, dont know which way to turn but thankyou all.

x janie

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Janie, it can seem very lonely when you are in pain. You have to keep looking for a solution and this is a great place to start and pick up some ideas of things to try. I keep looking and trying. Currently doing an anti inflammatory diet to try and help things. Have heard lots of good things about this approach so we shall see. Could be worth a try. Lots online about it so have a google and see what you think. Hope you find some relief soon. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

I was overwhelmed when I read this site as I finally realise that I am not alone in this. I am 54 and have been suffering from joint pains, weight gain, terrible hot sweats, intense sadness and tears for the last four years. I have had days when I could hardly walk. I used to be very active so it was a real shock as I could work out why this was happening.

My GP finally referred me to a gynaecologist who was sympathetic and she prescribed a low dosage antidepressant for my hot sweats, progesterone cream and testosterone cream. My hot sweats faded after a couple of weeks and my libido came back but my joints and legs still ached. I then had a blood test and discovered that I had a fatty liver sad.

After some research I went on a Liver Cleansing diet ( lots of fresh vegetable/fruit juices, no dairy, no meat, no processed foods, no gluten, no sugar, no coffee or tea, lots of pulses and whole grains, flaxseeds, chia seeds) which is similar to an Anti-inflammatory Diet. After 3 weeks on this diet I noticed that my joints are less swollen and less painful and I am am more mobile with less pain.

It is worth a try to see if it works for you. 

I can post the diet I started on if anyone is interested.

• Posted

Hello Ladies,

I am 43 and I started getting joint pains you desribe about a year ago. First it was in my left hip, then wrist, then shoulder. i did not put two and two together at that stage and took them as isolated episodes. GP prescribed ibuprofen, job done.. My periods have been erratic since 2010 (I was 40 then). In 2012 I had a bad episode, with a very bad hip pain (I could not walk!) and irregular/heavy periods. I was tested for hormones then, and they were fine. About 4 weeks ago, I developped similar sympthoms to what you describe - bad pain all over my body, hips, lower back, in my upper back, neck, wrists and fingers - so that it hurts holding a pen, forget anything else!!! I also started bleeding after my period had finished APOLOGIES FOR GORY DETAILS!!!)  and I had a stabbing pain in my left side of the abdomen. As you say, I asked Dr Google, and scared myself to the point I cannot sleep. I was tested for ovarian cancer in 2012 and a scan was done but did not show anything. When I saw this website, all the sympthoms described apply, except for hot flushes. The pain is excruciating. My GP asked me to do all the blood tests and a scan again, so I'm going next week. After I saw this website, I have mentioned this to various doctors I have been seeing. everyone says I am too young (really do not feel it) to have this pre-menopausal thing going. Few doctors laughed at me when I mentioned it. Is anyone else out there of similar age with these sympthoms???? I really don't know what to do, I am on pain killers, but everyday life is a challenge. At least if I knew how to find out what is going on with me...... Comments and ideas most appreciated! K

• Posted

Hi Kat, yes you are a little younger then most here but there are women all ages in menopause. My friend was 38 when she had her kast period! It is always better to check everything but in case they find NOTHING AT ALL do not get surprised if they never agree with the perimenopause thing.  At least you are young yet to them to put blame on aging as they like to do.  I lost ONLY ONE period and everything went down from day to night.  If you have irregular periods, this alone to me means something.  Never mind about not having hot flushes, i have had very few.  Do not count on the hormon tests much, too, they are not really helpfull, once the main issue here is hormonal variation, so it is very difficult to track. That means, you may have a normal level and still be missing periods and so on.

Do not dispair, this is a phase. 

• Posted

Hi Bella, thanks very much for your reply, I guess I just have to be patient and carry on...
    • Posted

What has worked for most of us, at least, is a strict antinflamatory diet.  Take a look in the others postings. I still feel some stiffness and soreness but I managed to go biking today and have been able to live my life without medications.  That is great considering 7 months ago I thought I was dying! Keep in touch :D
    • Posted

Hi BellaRubia you might think am being a thick but what is a antinflamatory diet please.
    • Posted

Lol.  It is ok, but you are going to have to research.  Some of the ladies posted in some place, I do not have the link sad. Basicaly is eating/drinking a lot of the things we always new we should eat (fruits, vegetables, fish, grains, water, green or black tea) and  almost nothing of the things we always knew we should not be eating/drinking (SUGARS, fats, industrialized food, carbs, alcool). Some wine, is good :D. But do your research, I mighty be 
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I posted a link, in answer to your question, but it looks like it was removed, really do not know why (?!).  Anyway, I hope you have managed to get the information. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.