Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Lesley998,

Another thought! Have you had a crvical spine X-ray? When I went to see the orthopaedic surgeon he called for a cervical spine X-ray and the diagnosis from that was Cervical Spondylosis with Radiculopathy. In addition anterior osteophytes were noticed arising from my vertebra and irritating my nerves causing me nerve pain in my arms. I believe of course that the root cause is hormonal leading to poor or reduced repair of normal wear and tear. Consider asking your GP to refer you to an Orthopaedic surgeon or Neurologist so that you can get some tailored advice for managing the pain with posture and exercise. 

• Posted

Hi Lesley and other Ladies

I had hideous joint pain for 6 years since breast cancer treatment slammed me into menopause.  I've seen GP's, Rheumatologists, Immunologists to no avail.  Symptoms are mainly terribly painful joints, with migrating pain - some days it's in my hips, other days in my elbows and knees. I was regularly woken by shooting pains down my thighs, which was excruciating. I've tried prescription mess and natural remedies to no avail, until I came across a remedy on a Lyme Disease website and three months ago I thought I'd give it a try.  A level teaspoon of natural sea salt dissolved in a glass of water with a 1000mg effervescent vitamin C tablet twice a day for one week has TOTALLY CURED my joint pain.  In fact by day 4 I was already almost pain free.  Try it! It may be that the menopausal flushes and sweating mean we have lost vital salts from our system.  Make sure you use natural sea salt not table salt which is from rock salt and highly processed and bad for you.

• Posted

Hi Marie, I actually thought I might have Lyme Disease.  Went to the Dr to get checked and they found I wa vitamin d deficient  I have always been very active, ran a 100k last year, and suddenly my legs and hips ached to the point that I could barely sleep or run.  I was wondering about the effervescent vitamin c tablet.  Does it include other vitamins or just the vitamin c.  I know of a packet, but it has zinc and some other things in it.  Thanks!  This site has been very helpful!
  • Posted

Hi Lesley. I know ur post is over a year ago but I just googled she's and pains perimenopause and this came up. I was eindering how it all went in the end and was it ur oestrogen levels rolleyes I'm approaching 46. Periods always been bit irregular nothing unusual but feel like I constantly ache at times. All random spots. Pelvic pain even and just lately had this awful pain in my knee. It even kept me awake one night then the next day had pains on upper legs and calves almost as if I'd been aching from a workout. I'm sure this could be the onset of hormones fluctuating but when I see the doctor they just say I'm too young! I know this isn't true as I have a friend younger than me and went through menopause in her 30's! Just wandered if u are taking anything to help this? Hope u feel better now smile
  • Posted

hi lesley just read your post i hope you are better and got help you needed.  I can identify with all you said.  Can I ask what your heart prob is?  I am awaiting more heart tests due to like an atrial fib but asm so anxouos and get facial sweats and mood  swings and such a raging temper and breathlessness, sore boobs you name it, just had enough.  I need someone to listen and ofer help so far a brick wall.     I guess its go private.  all the best
  • Posted

Hi yes I have the same pain in shoulders right elbow very bad, right arm itches and goes numb to elbow. I have mild hot flashes, have had two consecutive periods now going on third week keeps almost ending then light but never stopped completely. Sore breasts, no motivation...I push myself to go to gym, shoulders and elbow so sore and weakness can't get through a body pump class...Very depressed, crying some days. Irritable, low capacity for any stress. I want to cry now just writing this. i thought perhaps my joints hurt because of too much wine trying to deal with this and arthritis runs in my family.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

Yes I have joint pain shoulders. It also started with my left elbow then moved to between my elbow and shoulder for a while before settling in my shoulder mainly.

It hurts to do my bra up, cardigans and coats. Reaching for my seat belt and up into high cupboards.

It's just started with my right arm too. I'm on HRT but have not had any improvement from it.

I can also relate to the disgusting taste, I kept googling it and thought for ages it was "pine mouth" caused by cheap pine nuts as we do have a lot of pesto. I began avoiding pesto but still had the taste.

Before I began the HRT the taste had improved a bit (2 years period free) and become a lemony taste, still annoying just not as foul as it had been before menopause proper.

• Posted

I have to come back to this forum often to ease my anxiety about my shoulder and elbow pain lord I will be do happy when this goes away grrrr
  • Posted

For the last couple of months I have been having on/off right knee pain. As others have stated on this forum. I guess this is due to low ostregon levels. Is there anything which can help with this? Have started taking osteocare tablets.
  • Posted

I am happy to hear I'm not going crazy! I'm 45 and for the last year or maybe 2, I have had various symptoms and issues. I can't remember the exact order or dates but here's a rub down: 

PTSD, Depression, anxiety, frozen shoulder, lower back "injury", weak muscles, tire easily, nausea, muscle pain, joint pain (mild), headaches, fatigue, brain fog, stiffness, 2 periods last month, aching pain in lower right abdomen that was really bad for months and now just once a month or so, no appetite, stress, high sexual desires (!!), low patience, easily angered, emotional!!, crave being alone.........There may be more but these are the biggies. I don't have night sweats or hot flashes. Any insight?

• Posted

Hi mariann,

I was going to say I was 2 years younger when it started but then saw you were 45 and had it maybe 2 years.

So I was about your age and had a lot of the symptoms you describe it was suggested about that time that I had PTSD and I had some therapy for it.

I didn't have joints aching (I'm beginning to get that now).

Thinking back I was also more into sex than I had ever been before.

I also had some abdominal pains and wondered if it was my ovaries at one point so painful and on the right side that I would have worried it was appendicitis if I had not already had that out.

So yes I think your in early peri

• Posted

Hi both. I went on holiday cpl weeks ago and ended up I'll. First think I had a bit of food poisoning then straight after had a water infection. I also suffer occasionally with panic attacks but haven't had them for a while. My breathing was on n off to the point I thought was going to have a heart attack! Then had about 3 panic attacks in the space of a week. I nearly got locked in a toilet which frightened the life out of me cos it was dark and then I got to the plane and felt I couldn't get on it! I do tend to worry a lot but I can't help but think there's more to this anxiety which can come on for no reason. Have sore throat quite often and doc put me on tabs for reflux. I get an excruciating pain in my right knee and just ache all over at times. I'm sure this is all peri signs but doctors seem to think at 45 I'm too early!! 😳
    • Posted

It makes me really angry that the doctors insist you shouldn't be getting symptoms until you are 51. You can look on this site and others like it and find that your symptoms are related to peri menopause.

It can start up to 10 years before menopause proper so I make that any time from 41 onwards.

It's one of the reasons I've decided to make comments observations and suggestions here. Maybe I can help one or hopefully many from going through all the grief I did.

I Was told all my symptoms were caused by depression.

Isn't it odd that of all their pills I've tried the one that lifted the depression the best was estrogen.

• Posted

Is there something we can buy for the low ostregon? It's weird. I just haven't felt myself for about 2 years now, making me 43. All I've been told is that I have anxiety and acid reflux! I do worry a lot but I do feel there have been changed in the last couple of years 🤔
    • Posted

I don't know if you can but l buy it it's probably prescription only but you can eat food high in estrogen seeds beans dried fruit. I think that's why flaxseed can be helpful.

Or I suspect there are pills from health food stores that are supposed to balance estrogen.

• Posted

Thanks for that helpful info. I didn't realise. I actually have flaxseed and didn't think to use it. I've also started taking the osteocare as felt knees have become a bit stiff and sore. I think I'll have a look at all the foods containing it and try have them in my diet more smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.