Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I will be 52 in October. My periods have been every other month or so for 8 months or so. Prior to missing months, I was also having heavier periods. Recently, I am so stiff... My left knee, my forearms, ankles...weird places on my body have been achy and stiff. Often I'm so uncomfortable I can't even get comfortable when I go to sleep. It's after 1 a.m. and I found this blog while searching menopause symptoms online.

• Posted

Ladies. I urge you to put these two words in your google search engine....menopause & magnesium.

Whilst on holiday in Venice recently I suffered terrible leg pains which were horrendous at night! I suspect it was due to all the walking my husband and I were doing and my lack of sensible footwear. A local chemist prescribed liquid sachets of MAGNESIUM. It worked miracles and I was able to enjoy the rest of the holiday. You will perhaps notice that this is not my first posting on this thread. I have been experiencing an overwhelming feeling of tiredness, irritability, aching, anxiety, very heavy period and lack of sex drive for several months now. Fast forward to yesterday. I’ve started training for the Macmillan Mighty Hike in July (26 miles along the coast). Once again I had the pain in my legs so took a sachet of magnesium after a 6 mile walk. The relief was almost immediate. I also felt lighter in mood, happier and energetic, which pleased hubby (if you get the gist).I decided to google Magnesium and it’s benefits and was shocked to see that it can help massively with menopausal symptoms too. I have ordered some cream to rub into my legs, feet and elbows (my most painful areas) and have also bought Mag bath salts. Apparently is it best absorbed through the skin rather than Injested. So ladies, have a google and see if can help you too. I have bought Better You Body Butter and Flakes from Amazon. I’ll give feedback in a few weeks.

• Posted

I've bought magnesium, calcium and vit D supplement.... A months supply for £3.70.Will try.

I think mg2+(magnesium) does something to musculature aswellas many other things. Good suggestion. Increasing intake of oily fish good too. Perhaps we neglect our diets as ageing too.. The things we take for granted perhaps get overlooked when on discomfort. I think Mg2+ a gd suggestion... I'm giving it a months supply to see!

• Posted

Your post was very long ago.  I have read through the entire thread and am so disheartened.  Why is it in this day and age that women are still suffering.  Why is it that most male doctors and some female doctors still treat older women suffering symptoms of menopause like they are crazy, over reacting, hypochondriacs, or suffering from completely unrelated illnesses .  A pill has been created to make a mans dick hard for crying out loud and no one has figured out what a womans body needs to make it through menopause without her life collapsing around her .  Every woman goes through menopause, every female ever born has or will go through menopause if she lives long enough and yet we still suffer .  SUFFER in capital letters !  There really is no excuse at all except women are not high enough priority in medicine.  This should take precedents in womens health studies .....  just as impotence has for aging men which has resulted in the little blue pill fix.  Modern medicine has not given due dilagence to life altering, life changing,  life destroying menopause in women and thats shameful. 
    • Posted

Yes my post was long but meaningful.. I am a Sister in an Intensive Care Unit and have a fair amount of knowledge about my own body and the mechanics. Yep I suffer from joint pain & realise my GP was right when he associated it with menopause some years ago.. HRT is a remedy for many as it replaces the oestrogen that menopause takes away. It's not appropriate for many (me included).

I think my main point is, we realise that so many women suffer pain in joints thro menopause & ageing is an unstoppable process. So the message is keep moving be it walking everyday, swimming, gentle exercise to stop muscles & ligaments tightening/hurting. Stretch! Like back pain for some people, if they don't move its worse.low dose anti inflammatories or just paracetamol

Accepting it's part of life for some is half the battle, mindset & mindfulness. Men suffer in their own ways, it's not confined to just women. Men put on weight, lose their hair etc and their joints age & become Arthritic too but this site purely about Menopausal, so a biased view about females. I guess moral of the story is keep moving, gently,

I liked the post about magnesium supplements. Hadn't thought of that before but will try. We use it at work but for different reasons. It's relatively cheap.... Plus calcium and bit D included.

I'm so busy mostly that it takes my mind off it, another moral of story, keep your mind busy joint pain won't envelop your life. Their is a circle to pain & how we feel has a huge impact on how we feel. Exercise releases endorphins(natural painkillers)... smile

• Posted

I agree wholeheartedly Parsley1003. Use it or lose it!

Try to get magnesium flakes (for a foot bath or full bath) or cream to rub into your legs rather than pills as apparently magnesium is absorbed better this way.

Being a nosey parker I’m interested to know what it’s used for in your workplace?

By the way, “acceptance” is my mantra. It’s difficult to explain to some people as it doesn’t mean curl up and die, give in, be defeated. It means accept low moods, allow yourself to feel down or tired, invite those dark moods in then move on when you have the strength and courage to do so. For me, fighting them brings negative energy and frustration.

• Posted

I work with kids in ITU and a lot of post of cardiac work. If we see arrhythmia on the screen you can guarantee its a low magnesium or calcium or potassium. Has an amazing effect of cardiac conductivity but can cause low BP if given too fast.... My tablets like bullets but giving them a go!

Yes I think people think life is over when menopause kicks in, some poor girls go thro it in their 30's can't imagine.

Hope the use of Mg2+ in hosp life killed the 🙀 cat (curiosity)x

• Posted

Hi Parsley1003, here’s the curious cat again wondering if you have felt any relief from the aches and pains after taking the magnesium bullets? I still use the cream on my feet and salts in a bath if my feet/legs are feeling particularly tired and achy and it definitely helps me 😁

• Posted

I know you posted this many yrs ago but I myself now having your symptoms my elbows actually have swollen. I wake every morning wondering where the next pain will be. 

I too have heart condition was wondering what you where able to use ❤️

• Posted

Hi you are not alone hun I am the same age as you and you have just described me down to a tee,I feel like I'm falling apart I hurt everywhere and in the last week my left hip has started to really hurt which is not good for me with my job,I feel very sorry for you but at least I can make sense of what's happening,when will it ever end though I want to enjoy my life now and I can't,I think my partner is sick of me but it's not my fault I don't want to feel like it x

• Posted

Oh just noticed you posted 6 years ago,it gets me wondering do you or anyone else feel better now,I just want it to all go away x
  • Posted

Hello, I too have been having these issues.  Went to primary doctor-blood tests for arthritis, bone density scan, Vit D test and everything came back normal.  Then saw rheumatologist-more extensive blood tests for arthritis, x-rays of joints and still normal-only came back with some inflammation.  I really do believe my condition is hormonal.  Has anyone had extreme swelling of ankles and knees?  At one point, I was so swollen, could not see my anklebones.
    • Posted

Hello. Wow, all those blood tests and nobody bothered to inquire about hormones. Crazy isn't it!!

I've battled and battled pre menopause for a good 2 years. The selling ...in my calves and ankles had been extreme like yours many times. Its scary because there is no cause solution. I've tried some treatments and am happy to share it your are suffering still. Be well...k! Sincerely, Lori

• Edited

It was such a relief to read someone out there hurts line I do and I'm not going insane. I'm genuinely sorry for what u are going through. Its like no other pain.

I was wondering, did you find a solution?

Take care. Lori

• Posted

Hi Oshunblu

I wish Lesley would reply and let us know how she is getting on now, about 6 years later !  

I am 50 and reckon, with hindsight, I started peri menopause about 3 years ago.  It began with extreme tendonitis in both my achilles tendons which I am pleased to say have now recovered three years later.  Then came more aches and pains everywhere where everything just hurt.  When I get up in the morning, I cannot get down the stairs without holding onto the bannisters, and yet, 10 minutes after being up, i can almost run up and down !  I have an extreme burning pain in my right hip bone and my knees are stiff.  Sometimes just to contemplate getting out of bed, or bending down to pick something up is a real thought process, rather than just a fluid movement.

I have researched vitamins, soya, etc and started taking a menopause general vitamin, magnesium, and vitamin D3, but I didnt see any improvement, so stopped.   HRT is not an option for me, apparently, as I had a thyroid issue years ago and I have postiive anti nuclear anti bodies (whatever that means !).  

I have been to my GP countless times and been tested for rheumatoid arthritis, suspected of lupus, but this has all proved negative.  Never once has he spoken about this being menopause related.

My conclusion is that I am convinced my aches and pains are totally menopause / hormonal related.  I dont think there is a cure, it's just a case of managing it !  My goal is to keep mobile and work through the pain, I am trying to swim about 5 times a week and in addition go to the gym and walk, eat healthily, maybe lose a stone (I'm not excessively overweight but a stone lighter would probably help !). 

It would be nice to know if anyone who has already been here found improvements a few years later ?

• Posted

And I am so glad to have found this thread or I would have thought I was dying of some dreadful disease, rather than experiencing what seems to be an unfortunate, but natural part of life !!! 
    • Posted

Hi Debbie 

I too have tendonitis but mine is in my arms and shoulders, health anxiety, periods sometimes twice a month. 

Then last week I developed a bladder prolapse, I also have general aches and pains and pimples like I’m a teenager lol. Tendonitis is that bad I’m paying a physio. 

• Posted

Hi Julie

I went to a physio for my tendonitis, hoping it would provide the miracle cure, but it didnt.  I was given a series of exercises to follow, which I did, but really to little avail !  A rheumatoid doctor told me that the condition generally cured itself after 18 months.  It took mine just about three years, in which time you practically learn to live with it !, but I can say that the pains I had in my achilles has now gone.  Fortunately, I dont have it in my arms and shoulders, but know of other ladies that do suffer with that !  I do also have health anxiety now, which I never had, and try to remain rational.  I have had about 2 periods in the past 14 months.  

It seems that we all have a whole array of different symptoms that have not been normal until this time and there is no miracle cure except to deal with it, keep mobile, keep healthy and know that we are not alone !  It would be nice, however, to go to a doctor who recognised it was going on as I have had no support at all from my GP !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.