Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi everyone

I just wanted to say thank you to the original poster and to everyone else who has responded to this epic message!

I almost cried when I read this. For the past 2.5 years I've suffered with joint stiffness in my fingers, wrists, inner elbows and toes (plus a few other places). The stiffness came on quite quickly and the mornings are worse. I don't have any swelling. I had all of the tests (three times now) including anti-ccp. All came back normal, I was given painkillers and said I have osteoarthritis. I recently had x-rays that show no arthritis at all so that didn't make sense - although I realise it could be early stages.

Finally, I found a good GP in my own practice who suggested I was perimenopausal. I'm 48 so I guess that's the right age for all of these problems to begin! Although, I still have periods so who knows. But your posts make sense to me, and now at least I know I'm not dying of some horrible disease. It's been hellish - even nightmarish - for the past few years where I thought I must have a crippling autoimmune condition. It's still not a walk in the park (excuse the pun..), but at least now I know I am not alone and not going insane.

I'm going to try bioidentical HRT to see if that helps through my GP.

Thank you, just thank you.

Helen x

• Posted

Hi Helen, I hope you are feeling better? Just wondered if you tried the bioidentical HRT? I am 47 and for last 3 months suffered horrible aches in thighs especially left one, burning knees. Had quite a few tests and so far all come back normal. Normal oestrogen HRT i tried though only for 5 weeks, didn't seem to help. Thanks for any info! Kew

• Edited

Hi Kew!

Funny you posted because I stopped taking body identical HRT two days after starting it (estrogel pump twice a day and utrogestan ).I gave up because I got myself spooked by the possible serious side effects, mainly breast cancer.

However, my joint pain and stiffness has gotten so bad, I keep thinking if it carries on like this I'm going to have to give up my day job which involves a lot of typing. That's pretty scary. I mean, I kind of need my hands and elbows! My toes are also awful. My long term plan is to get a job which involves moving around, and I'm taking a course to support that job change before I completely turn into the tin man from the Wizard of Oz!

So, I re-evaluated my situation and I started HRT again a few days ago. It was still stashed at the back of my medicine cupboard 😃 For reassurance, I checked out the menopausedoctor website (Dr Louise Newson) and she says that if you are on the body identical HRT (not bioidentical as I previously thought), then that's the safest option, and there is only an increased breast cancer risk comparable to drinking alcohol or being overweight after taking Utrogesten for five years. So I felt a bit more reassured there. Especially as I don't drink alcohol anyway.

I feel as though I've reached a point where I have no choice but to find a solution. I'm going to give it a good three months and will update you then. I don't think five weeks is long enough to make an evaluation with regards to joints/stiffness, they do say 3-6 months so if you can hack it, maybe try HRT again and ask for estrogel and utrogestan tablets if you can? Best of luck x

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking time to reply Helen. I think if you are suffering that badly, good plan re the HRT. I also read about risk for breast cancer was comparable to couple of alcoholic drinks (per day I think) and that risk is not great if are on it relatively short term. I have started taking Menopace Original and Horse Chestnut supplement - also had restless legs - and seems to have helped. My pain has been more burning & achy with odd sensations, rather than stiffness & also had muscle twitches. Been seeing a neurologist just to make sure not a nerve related disease, but tests all ok so far. I kept a diary & noticed how its worse every other week, ovulation & time of month I think when oestrogen levels lower, so think must be hormonal. Still seems crazy that hormones can do these things to you! Thanks re the utrogestan, I have the Mirena so covered there. You are right, 5 weeks not long enough. Think I will see how it goes for a bit, but might go back on HRT too. I really hope it helps you x

• Edited

I had to do a double take and check this wasn't my own post! Honestly, this is my life you're describing, even the age and timings. I have had every test going and no problems have been found and I've come to the conclusion this has to be hormone related. I took oestrogen gel for a few months and it definitely decreased my pains but I didn't want to be on it long term so I've been off of it for about 6 months. Gradually the pain has been increasing and now I'm really struggling just to function on a daily basis. I've yet to find any pain relief that makes the slightest bit of difference. 😞

• Posted

For 4 weeks now I have terrible elbow pain and I am in my first year of The Menopause. I was so glad to read your descriptions because they are exactly the same as mine. I wake up sometimes and my elbows are stiff and burning, at other times the bones sound clicky and at other times I get tendonitis . I managed to get blood tests today for other Menopausal inflammation and will await my results and then make an appointment to see the doctor about my elbows. Like you, it is constantly on my mind and I am so worried that I wont be able to work in the future!!! Will keep you posted!!

• Posted

Oh I'm so thankful to have found this post! Have had back probs on and off for a number of years but the last 5 years has got progressively worse. Back and hips 'going' and seizing up, in constant daily pain. Now to the stage where I've paid to see a rheumatologist who has confirmed fibromyalgia and also diagnosed ehlers danlos syndrome, sacroiliac joint dysfunction (on top of bulging discs, arthritis, degenerative disc disease). Tried everything over the last 5 years, osteopath, chiropractor, physio. Actually a gp said menopause when i went about the pains getting worse in my wrist and knees but I'm now wondering whether the issues and pain in my back and sacroiliac joint could all be connected to menopause??? i had my last period about 3 years ago but had been struggling with constant heavy periods for a number of years previous to this. Did try some hrt for a few months but no improvement with pain or mobility, ended up bleeding heavily again and had fibroids, so stopped taking it at GPs recommendations.

Not sure where to move on from here tbh. Had various bloods via gp which apparently are ok. Rheumatologist i saw didn't think menopause was connected but it's strange how time wise, that's when it got worse and continuing to do so.

• Edited

I do!!!

I was freaking out until I read this.

Achy bones, mini heart palpitations, headaches, tired, bad mood, some hot flashes, some night sweats, waking up often at night, sore boobs, pins and needles my hands and feet, some chills...not to mention gastritis. I'm 43, under a LOT of stress right now. These symptoms are not constant but seem to come more when I'm stressed. I also get my period twice in a month with spotting in between. The first time I told my GP she sent me off to do a slew of Blood work. Everything was absolutely PERFECT. My values didn't deviate in anything.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with these issues. My mother and sister were both in menopause by 44 yeaars old so I guess I'm on my way. Hang in there ladies!!

As a sidenote...how come GP's are so ill prepared? I mean, doing blood work to exclude other possibilities is a good idea, but once everything is ok, how come no one talks to you about perimenopause????

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

i noticed there are some recent posts in here so thought i would put down on paper so to speak my symptoms/issues to see if it helps and things become clearer at all;

My journey to here started around 20 years ago (am 53 ) with a total hysterectomy due to Endometriosis. I have been on Hrt most of the time since then and have been on Livial/Tibolone for the past 10 years plus with no real issues to speak of. Have been reasonably fit and healthy with quite a busy life, work/home/grandchildren !For two years pre 2020 i had suffered with what i can only describe as permanent cold symptoms mainly a runny nose all the time! Thought it might be due to the textile environment i worked in, tried anti histamines but in the end just lived with it! Early 2020 i started with tiredness most weekends after a week at work and also a pain in my achilles as well as muscle aches and joint pain. A while later i tripped and fell on my right knee which bruised really badly and was swollen for quite a while, i had investigations and xrays which came up with very mild arthritis, prescribed naproxen, which didn't help much and tried to get on with life! 6 months on started with pain in my left elbow, in which i now have reduced movement of 20% and is permanently bent and i am unable to straighten it, have had mri, xray and shows little or nothing which could cause the pain or the lack of movement, am currently waiting for rheumatology appointment.

I still have joint pains, muscle pains, cold flu like symptoms, lethargy and general tiredness, the achilles aches have diminished somewhat with my elbow being the most troublesome next to the aches and pains, which are generally worse the more i do.

This site/discussion has been the most relevant i can find re my symptoms. I have tried so many remedies for so many of things i was advised my problem was.

I am now convinced my problem is that my body has become too used to the Livial and is not responding how it has done in the past, much as other medications can be due to long term use. I am currently waiting for my NP to ring me today and am going to ask to change HRT to see if that alleviates any of my symptoms at all.

Here's hoping.

• Edited

Good evening ladies, I've read all your inputs...how it sounds like you describing my body. 😪

I'm am 47 years old and my symntoms started in November 2020 when I lost my sister to a stroke... I was experiencing bad pain in my left arm & shoulder & I thought it was due to the stress of the week of her sudden death......for months to come it came & went.... My niece did some sports massage & passive yoga on me & this brought relief.

Then in February 2021 it started up again, started with pain in left shoulder and arm again also constant headaches. Also got a fright when my left leg got some hectic pins & needles...loss of feeling....

Went to see homeopath because at this stage I was having pain in sternum and across left side of chest & breast.... And as we all do I went to Google doctor. At this point it was like I was having all these autoimmune diseases, cancer, heart attacks... Death!!

Homeopathy has helped somewhat, but now I'm skipping period or it is overdue... 40 days cycle....

Homeopath wants me to go for blood tests... Test for RA.... Test for heart muscle issues.... Muscle & skeleton tests.

I'm going to GP in the week.... So will hear what she has to say.... I'm convinced after reading your posts that these are symntoms of PERIMENOPAUSE!!

Will keep you ladies posted as to GP's visit & blood works outcome!

Hope we'll all find remedies for our aches & pains! Regards & be safe... Renee ❤️

• Posted

hi Lesley,

i have similar issues and often feel like i am going mad. i am 46.5 and have had issues with irregular periods for about 6 month but the joint pain is something else, i feel like an old woman. i also suffer from terrible pain in my low stomach, i was thinking it could be ovarian pain but not sure any more. feels good to know we are not alone.

xxxx

• Posted

Yes!! Yes!!! & Yes!!!

Lesley998 you hit the nail directly on the head! OMG! I am going through perimenopause as well I am 52 . The body aches, pain & stiffness is real. Not to mention the insomnia and fatigue. These Doctors think that its all in your mind. I recently started retaining water and my feet and ankles are swollen. Not sure if the swelling is another symptom of perimenopause. But no Doctor really knows. Even the Gyno Dr says my estrogen and FSH level is not low enough for HRT or estrogen. Something has to give.

I am in pain physically & mentally because of the symptoms . NEED HELP!

• Posted

its progesterone that normally drops first in perimenopause but of course most doctors dont test that 😕

and then you have a hormone imbalance x

• Posted

I am following this information as I am experiencing some of the same symptoms you all have described. I'm 52 and my finger joints are swollen and I have tingling in hands. I do have RA in the family however, this just came on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.