Perimenopause and weakness in hands

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies...

Does anyone ever experience weakness in the hands? I'm having it today.. not for long periods but enough to bother and worry me.

Struggling to pick things up at times and having a weird feeling.. heady today and all fingers and thumbs!

It's almost like my brain can't tell my body what to do.. . Does this make any sense to anyone?

I'm also on my period which isn't like it used to be. I'm having more brown coloured blood today on my 3rd day of menstruation. Is this normal?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes makes complete sense!!! Really thought I was the only one with this crazy symptom.. I call these my neurological symptoms, honestly they scare the crap out of me like I have ms , haven't been checked.. But when fingers get like this I also have the weak stiff legs at the same time... Other day I was doing self check out at the store and it hit me, fingers wouldn't work trying to open my wallet slip card into slot, nothing then legs got weak, anxiety started, felt panicky, hurried and got out of there.. And as many months as these symptoms repeat themselves you'd think I'd be somewhat use to them , and not panicky, but that episode took me off guard.. Your not alone on this one.. Do you get the weak legs with it or numbness?? Is it your 1st time or has it come and gone for you?

• Posted

Thank you for reassuring me! It's bloody scary!!

Yes, I get the jelly legs as I call it.

It's horrible. Today just feels worse. Like I have no control of my hands and wrists.

I've had this feeling lots of times before and it frightens me every time. I try and remain nice and calm but it's almost like a too relaxed feeling if that makes sense?

It's like an overall weakness at times.

How long have you had it?

• Posted

Yes its all so very scary, not that I want you or any others to have it, but so glad I'm not alone on this one.. Ive had this come and go for about a year or so now, I can't tell where I would be at in peri menopause as I had a hysterectomy, I can just track my symptoms daily and watch and see what returns next month..

• Posted

I'm also getting the weakness feeling running from hands down to arms...

It's strange. Like you said, good to know we're not alone in experiencing this.

• Posted

yes i get these to the last few weeks weakness in hands arms like you cant hold stuff .. my hands shake a little as well

• Posted

I get all that you and gypsy described. It comes and goes. some days I feel completely normal other days just like you described. My arm also hurts from the back of my shoulder/neck area and it hurts down my arm but not the whole arm. The pain moves around. It's all very strange and scary. Started 7 months ago!

• Posted

It's not nice...

I remember reading years ago that women going through perimenopause/menopause should do weight bearing exercise. I totally get why now.. maybe need to use some weights to build strength up in arms.

• Posted

yes i had right weak hand and couldn't write for a few minutes this happened twice in last 2 years since meno. my gp didn't seem bothered sure its normal though..

• Posted

Hi Hun yes I do get this and especially when I'm on my period which is mostly brown now after first day, my periods are erratic and short, I work in a tea room and some days struggle to carry heavy trays feels like my hands are going to give way, and also weak leg muscles again mainly around my period, my legs feel wobbly and unstable I'm just finishing my short period and legs and hands feel a bit better, happens a few times a month cos sometime I have 2 short periods a month x

• Posted

I used to have two short periods a month also, but currently they are getting further apart.. .about every 5 weeks.

The muscle weakness is horrible..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.