Perimenopause and work...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Do any of you ladies feel that you are having trouble managing all the symptoms and variables of peri and working? 

I used to love my job. Now I feel very 'visible' if that makes sense. Like everyone knows something is wrong--the hot flashes, the slowed movements, the brain fog that makes me forget the basics, the sick days I take when my period still beats the heck out of me. And that everyone at work can see and judge my compromised performance. 

They aren't wrong. I am not as good as I was 5 years ago. And I hate it. And all the women around me who are roughly the same age seem like they are at their over-achieving best.

At the same time, I am so over pretending things are normal. I feel terrible--physically and psychologically. More days than not, I can barely drag myself out of bed and get dressed. (Even if I feel OK physically, psychologically I am dying inside from over-work stress and health anxiety.)

The good news is, I essentially quit my second job (one more class to teach in the summer) and this winter is my last overtime class at my full time job. I am hoping that helps. 

Any strategies for managing perimenopause and work life? 

Love you!

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can relate and i love all your advice. Maybe that is the only thing that perimenopause/menopause is good for, reminding us to take better care of us. Little things do help but those bright eyed bushy tailed, fun loving days are fewer and far between 🙁 Take care and keep in touch! 

• Posted

I am really struggling, physically, mentally and emotionally.....I was doing so well when I started the progesterone cream, my anxiety pretty much stopped, I had a lot of energy and my period issues settled as well as the bladder and pelvic burning.....unfortunately like anything there is a side effect...it seems the progesterone weakened the valves in my esophagus, and caused major chest pains every time I would start it.....so the last couple months I have stopped it, now I am back to having anxiety, head aches, chills, back pain, and gerd issues....I embrace the days I feel half human which is about a week and a half after my period....the remainder I have all of the above with days of nausea....I hate being out around people when I feel so miserable.....so this time of year is rough.   Thankfully I am a stay st home mom so the days I feel really bad I can cancel any plans I may have had and rest.....I often wondered what working women feel like when they have this and still have to go to work...I am grateful.  
  • Posted

Dear maddysmom, I understand you because I feel the same. I have education and experience to do my job well, and I do it well, but it is so hard in my current physical and psychological state. I hope that heavy flooding, sweating, migraines of the past years are over, but now I battle with anxiety and low mood.

Sometimes I think it is not fair, why mature women who can give so much suffer so much.

I think about important women in politics, science, etc. , I believe at least some of them have all the modern medical science at their disposal , but how they cope with all the peri/ meno stuff?

• Posted

I wish women doctors that are going through this would gather together and make a pill with little side effects that would take care of menopause symptoms. My sister describes it as one of the darkest period of my life". She's 67 now and still has a symptom or two, but for the most part she's doing okay.

• Posted

That would be great.  Unfortunately, I know that my current (soon to be former) gyn would be of no help.  She IS my age and actually laughed when I told her about how I cry all the time and has been zero help with my concerns about my 30-pound weight gain over this last year.  I have taken it on myself to make changes that she won’t bother to recommend - healthier diet, more sleep, more exercise - and all of it is helping.  I’m also getting recommendations about other gyn doctors from friends.
    • Posted

You are right to change doctors. How dare she laugh in your face! She obviously has no bedside manner and is in it for the money, not to help people. Some women doctors are worse than the male doctors.

Some women are even hard on other women. Back when I was in my 30's I actually had a female(older, probably 60's) coworker tell me there was no such thing as PMS that it was a copout.

Much luck in finding a better doctor. There are some good ones out there.?????🤗🤗🤗🤗

• Posted

Thanks, Juanita.  I agree with your perspective on female doctors.  I had a really kind male gyn for several years when I was in my 20s and having problems with ovarian cysts.  He died and I had to find another doctor.  A friend referred me to a female doctor who was great initially but had her license suspended several years later due to drug abuse.  I went for some years without a gyn until a GP referred me this current female doctor.  I liked her really well initially, but she and her staff make a lot of sloppy mistakes with handling records, paperwork, and reporting lab results and they can be quite rude about answering questions.  It’s a big practice and they seem overwhelmed by the patient load.  Thanks for the encouragement!  It helps not to feel alone.
    • Posted

Yes, I try to steer clear of the big practices. My Gyn only has two other doctors in her practice and my GP is the only doctor in her practice

I found the big practices are sloppy and herd you in and out like cattle! Lol!

• Posted

OMG! I can’t belive she laughed, Liz9305. When I went to my GYN and told her what was happening to me, she actually looked as if she was going to cry with me. She assured me that she would be by my side every step of the way, and do whatever she could to help me. She put me on a compounded progesterone/low estrogen cream that I use in my external labia at night. It has helped me tremendously, along with the magnesium, vitamin D3 and  multivitamin. I am feeling OK .  I just had my blood work done yesterday so I can’t wait to go to the doctor and see what my levels are at because she ran everything. My anxiety is under control, most days. I find that Dr Bach’s Rescue Remedy gummies really help alot, and I try and use them before I take my anxiety meds, because they are all natural. I hope this helps, and I hope that your 2018 is a great one!
    • Posted

Thanks, Carmie.  Your doctor sounds great.  I have used the Rescue Remedy products occasionally.  Hope your results are all good!  Happy 2018!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.