Perimenopause anxiety and heart symptoms with insomnia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I’m 48 years old and for the past couple of years I feel like my life has been turned upside down. I used to be a very good sleeper but have turned into a raging insomniac. If I fall asleep I wake up 2 to 3 hours later then I’m awake again for 2 hours then if I manage to get back to sleep it’s only for an hour or so and I wake with my heart racing and feeling like I can’t breathe and full of butterflies and dread for absolutely no reason whatsoever. My heart races all day and thuds with skipped beats. I’ve had ECGs and 24 hour ECG and various test and all is ok so I know it’s my age. I’m puffing and panting and totally exhausted. But the physical anxiety symptoms are overwhelming. Shaking and irritable and totally not myself at all. My periods used to be every 4 weeks but now are every 3 so that “week before” comes around far too quickly all the time. I also have hot sweats and burn ups both day and night. I just want it all to stop. I have clonazepam for when I feel like I’m going to go insane (I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome so need that as a muscle relaxant and to help me deal with pain) ...  I’m about to start Lyrica to see if helps with any of the symptoms and to calm me down. It would be good to connect with other ladies who are experiencing similar.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

dizwap, we all in the same boat on here what a Brady bunch Lol..I try keeping busy how ever I come look forward to my bed I'm like you don't sleep well either, but o know people came out on the other side so look forward to that day can't be far off..just need quality sleep to help us..so I advise you stay calm keep busy as much as you and chin up, always remember we're not sick although it feels like it, TEMPORARY MENO 

• Posted

Hi - I am also 48 and for me this has been going on for 4 years. I too have chronic illness as well as this - I have CFS, migraine and PoTs and peri has made them worse. I too have the insomnia that you describe. I get the racing heart and palpitations and my heat tests have been normal as well.

And more than anything, I am flat out exhausted. I feel so fatigued and foggy all the time.

You are not alone in this xx

• Posted

Hi Sally

I feel that way too. I sleep very well most nights but sometimes i still feel exhausted with a good long sleep. Keeping busy i agree is good but not to overdo things. Im 51. I was on HRT for 3 months and stppped it so im not sure if my periods have stopped yet. Does anyone know if things improve when you reach menopause??

• Posted

Hi willow, I'm hitting the 12 mark shortly I wonder if I would start to feel better or worst...it seems like some people do and some people don't different strokes for different folks I wish that when you hit Post menopause it would be over but hormones still seem to not settle down yet..we just have to wait and see girl HUGS xx

• Posted

Thanks Maria, hugs to you too. We just need to look after ourselves as much as possible, try to be positive and keep posting as we get great tips from this website. Honestly better than my GP!!!!
  • Posted

Hi there

Youre in the right place...I sometimes wake up at various times in the night feeling anxious and panicky. Ive had heart palps and chest pains but after ECG's all normal Im told its anxiety.

I get shortness of breath sometimes too. Its awful and scares me.

Im 46 and have had symptoms for 6 years now. I wish I could see an end to it all in sight. Hugs to you x

• Posted

Hi I went through that very much,but it keeps changing I start experiencing a fright dropping off that stop it's now something trying to stop me from drifting off every time I try too, it's awful but I know it's hormones doing it to me what else..I have once also was once a woken by a my heart racing jump me out of sleep and run down stairs and call Ambulance few times it had happen but when I realize nothing is wrong with my heart I stop calling them but that is when I started Peri menopause, I always find menopause is like car changing gears Lol. If you are first starting off in Peri it will be bit worst but gets better with time Ok.

• Posted

Sorry you’re feeling all this too... at least we all have each other to keep us sane here. I’m so glad I found this discussion. Hugs to all 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.