Perimenopause anxiety and panic

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips to getting through an anxiety/panic attack. I was prescribed alprazolam, but I don't want to just pop a pill everytime I start to overthink something. I would like to try a few things to ease anxiety first to see if I can get through it on my own. I can usually get through the day by keeping busy or going for a walk outdoors, but these are things I can't really do at night when my anxiety can be the worst.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I feel your pain. I had terrible anxiety. And u was afraid to be alone. I would eat if I was alone. I was so afraid.   I was afraid to go out alone.i often wanted to walk as it’s giid for the head. But I was afraid to go. In case I couldn’t breath and something would happen me.    I cut out  out sugar and foods that had sugar and sugary fizzy drinks as the sugar drove my anxiety up on the heavens.    And I now go walking 6 km on my own.  It I do notice that around my period I do get a bit anxious. But noting major. But sleep rest in very important to keep ur levels down too. Maybe u need a nap during the day so u won’t be to anxious at night. And u will be able to sleep
    • Posted

Thank you Michelle! I do have a sweet tooth, so maybe I'll cut down some there and try to rest a bit in the daylight hours. Glad to hear that you're able to get in 6 km of walking..sounds like you're on the right track to kicking this anxiety!

• Posted

Hi jo. I meant I would not eat . I was petrified of been alone. In case something happened to me . But then I started to talk to myself. Like what is wrong with you. Michelle. This panic has happened before . Justvsistract yourself. Think of 10 things I need to do today .  U will be fine. Slow breathing.  Watch the people around me.  And then it would pass
  • Posted

Been there! Coles notes (because I just typed you a LONG response and it deleted! Grrr), get a book called The Panic & Anxiety Workbook. Learn about CBT. Distraction is the BEST medicine. And YOU are in control. Panic attacks ALWAYS end and nobody has died from one. Best of thoughts to you in your fight. I mastered mine, so you can, too!

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer! I'm going to hunt that book down now! So happy to hear you've mastered your anxiety! Can't wait to get this thing behind me!!

• Posted

I know I balked at taking the anxiety meds too but to me it’s a better option than anti depressants because they wear off each day and don’t change my overall personality (I took antidepressants for years in my late teens and early twenties). I have tried mindfulness and meditation etc but wasn’t helping. But I split a 25 mg alprazolam pill in half and take on most days. Its such a small dose I don’t really feel different just not anxious and fearful and not on the verge of a panic attack. And it definitely prevents a full blown panic attack. A full pill makes you relaxed but sleepy by dinner time. Sometimes you should just take the meds that will get you through the worst months until it passes. And it will get better. And then you won’t need them. I would rather take an anti anxiety than BHRT for now. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.