Perimenopause anxiety, palpitations, TMJ flare up

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello wonderful ladies, so glad I've found this forum. I'm 39, perimenopause symptoms started about 6months ago, it all started out of blue, anxiety, panic attacks, tinnitus and now my TMJ pain is back. I'm on low dose birth control which helps my anxiety but I don't feel my normal self. My worst symptom is TMJ.. Is anyone else having TMJ issues? Is it part of perimenopause symptoms ??

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi All, Hi Oonagh -

Just saw your message and had to reply. I started having strange menstrual cycles last year (I'm 45 now). Then started having acid reflux and really bad depression & anxiety during the pandemic. My doctor put me on lexipro but i started grinding my teeth really bad & woke up with plugged ear sensation and tinnitus. Now I continue to clench at night and have TMJ - pain in jaw but mostly my scalp around my ears and back of head and neck/ shoulders.

I also have severe sleep disturbances & wake up at 4am. No hot flashes but I started having panic attacks and severe depression a couple months ago. Im taking klonipin for that (don't like to but not much choice) and just started on trazadone at night for sleep/anxiety. I guess it's supposed to be good for TMD and perimenopause.

Dentists have been really useless and negative about everything and added to my panic. I contacted my friend who is a naturopath and she and my primary care doctor tested my hormones. I'm practically in menopausal range. Estrogen is low, FSH is 59, and im waiting on other tests. She is going to help me with bioidentical hormone therapy. Ladies...look into it. Most conventional doctors don't offer it, but my primary doctor said his mom uses it with great success. My naturopath prescribed oral progesterone troches 50mg and I've just been taking them for 7 days. Tomorrow i start on estradiol. I will let you know how it goes. Right now the panic and depression is so terrible ...I find myself obsessing about my jaw and ears and tinnitus. I was told hormone imbalances make women feel much more discomfort, causes muscle/ joint discomfort, and causes hypervigilance so it makes everything seem much worse. Hang in there everyone. Please reply if anyone is out there going through perimenopause/menopause stuff. It helps not to feel so alone. Sending hugs & wishes to feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.