Perimenopause in women with PCOS syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello again dear ladies,

do you believe from your own experience that perimenopause namely estrogen deficiency symptoms are more noticeable in women with PCOS syndrome?

In PCOS syndrome, there is an LH surge along with low estradiol levels and increased levels of androgens.

Entering the perimenopause this pattern of body function remains and may exacerbates with the parallel increase of FSH?

Thank u in advance

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What is PCOS ? 
    • Posted

PCOS is a metabolic condition that may or may not come with having polycystic ovaries.In fact, to be diagnosed with PCOS a woman needs to have 2 of the following: 1) Polycystic ovaries appear on ultrasound. 2) Irregular periods. 3) Increased male hormone in the blood test or associated symptoms such as extra hair growth or acne. So if a woman has irregular periods and an increased male hormone she could have PCOS without her ovaries being polycystic. 

in PCOS, the hormonal balance is distorted which interferes with ovulation. In a large proportion of these women the mechanism is linked to high insulin release that stimulates the production of androgens from the ovary disturbing ovulation.

Women with PCOS should be aware of the associated risk which may include: diabetes, pregnancy complications (ie. gestational diabetes), cardio-vascular disease, obesity and endometrial cancer.

• Posted

Ok don’t think it’s something I have thank God ! Always had regular periods with a few missed ones over last few  years . 

Got enough on my plate with all the other symptoms ! 

• Posted

Never missed a cycle too...even though now  I am in perimenopause, I am still having regular cycles but severe symptoms! all the list! 

I am confused about my abnormal hormonal genetic profile...I am not sure that I have pcos syndrome 

I am asking because in the past I have been told by a doctor that I have a mild case of PCOS syndrome based on my blood tests which had indicated high levels of androstendione, LH surge compare to my fsh and very low estradiol on 3 day of my cycle.

According to my recent blood tests, my fsh and lh are high for my age and my estradiol too low on day 3 of my cycle..I did not check androgens but I attribute to higher androgens when my nerves are through the roof...I am becoming so mean to others and these days I am overly aggressive and then one black coarse hair on my chin...

on the contrary, when my estradiol is very low for example the first day of my cycle, I am overly depressed and I have crying outbursts...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.