Perimenopause in your 30s??

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I have felt unlike myself and suffered so many symptoms over the last 18 months am wondering whether I am perimenopausal. My grandma stopped her periods when she was 38 and my mum was 41. I am 36. I have had blood tests done and all of my hormones were low. 

I first started with night sweats, insomnia and anxiety. The night sweats used to be every night but now they only happen once a month. I now suffer with constant head pressure and tingling, fatigue, intrusive thoughts/worry that I'm going crazy, my mood is very low during my periods. My periods have changed. Sometimes they are heavy, sometimes lighter and closer together. I'm losing hair rapidly and my ankles are swelled with really thick skin and I have bad acne on my chin and jawline. I also really struggle with concentration and feel like I'm on auto pilot.

Do you think this could be perimenopause? Have you suffered similar symptoms? I have never had a hot flush, which is what I associate with menopause. I just worry I will never feel like me again?

Thanks

Dawn

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn.

Your symptoms certainly sound like perimenopause.

I'm 42 years old and noticed a definite change about 18 months.

I thought I was going mad and would never have related it to menopause, but here we are.

I too noticed a change in my mood which was definitely unlike me, as have always been a very upbeat, positive person.

I also noticed a big change in my periods around the same time and shortness of breath and asthma like symptoms.

I've had full blown hot flashes, hair loss, racing heart beat and anxiety.

I read up on the condition which I found really helped as it puts your mind to rest. This forum is also very good. Allows you to share your experiences with other women who are going through exactly the same.

You are not alone

The best piece of advice a doctor gave me was to not become too sucked in by the whole menopause thing and to try and live your life as the old you.

It's not always east, but positive mind set definitely helps, as does talking about it.

Dora x

• Posted

Hi Dora,

Thanks so much for replying. 

Do you feel worse during your period? I never feel great, but definitely worse during my period!

I look at other women and think they don't seem to be like I am, but maybe is it that women don't talk about it? I suppose it's the same with post-natal depression- some get it and some don't.

I am going to see Dr Studd next month. Do you know anything about him or have you tried hrt or anything?

Thanks again,

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn62967

I had a full blown panic attack about five to six years ago because i thought i was having an allergic reaction to having my hair dyed but it has worked out to be perimenopause and the symptoms I was having was anxiety. I still have bad days and although i have not had a period for nearly a year I now know I am perimenopausal. The symptoms it brings is horrible. I dont feel like the old me and I too am scared of not ever feeling the same and having to battle on. I keep try to think positive and try and be happy I am still alive and can still go to work and look after my family. I have a positive belief that things will get better and I hope you start to feel a lot better. I have gone on HRT and can say this haa helped squash some of the old feelings and thoughts I used to have. Good luck ans wish you all the very best xx

• Posted

Hi dawn

That's exactly how I started last year at 42.

Started taking Citalopram and continue to.

Started HRT in August, just trying to find the right one now.

Are you in the UK?

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I could have written your post! I'm 41 but have been getting these symptoms since my mid 30's, I know they are hormonal because the only time I was free from them was when I was pregnant and breastfeeding, and not having a cycle. I have been to see dr studd, who did some blood tests and put me on estrogen gel, which I was on for a year, and though it helped initially, the symptoms came back after a while, so I came off it and now I am just trying to cope with healthy diet and excercise. It's also worst for me during and after my period - I really don't see why there is always so much focus on the prementstrual period, where most women seem to have symptoms during as well, I  understand so much when you say you go on auto pilot, I do that just to try and hide how I feel and get through the day, I also get really nauseous and have night sweats, not fun but I'm not sure what else I can do ? 

Karen x

• Posted

Morning Dawn,  yes it definitely sounds like perimenopause.  But please keep in mind this can be a 10 year period before periods actually stop. The best way to look at this, is that your body is attempting to adjust to lower levels of sex steroids.  Since all our of hormone systems interact with one another, a lower level of these hormones affect all the systems in your body.  And of course, the reason you feel worse during your period is because this is when your hormones are at their LOW point in the cycle.  

I started Peri at 43, and it was a real shocker.  My first symptom was massive hair loss.  I tried, very unsuccessfully to use bioidenticals at that time. What I can offer is try to be as good to your body as possible.  Take a good multivitamin, eat whole foods regularly, get plenty of sleep and be in bed by 10:00pm every night, drink lots of water, do a small amount of exercise, get plenty of alone time where you can recharge your battery and do something for yourself.  Just give yourself any and all opportunities to destress.  

Nothing is going to change what is happening inside your body, but you can help make this transition a little easier.  

• Posted

Hi! I'm in the same boat! 42 years old and peri! I had awful symptoms too, insomnia, anxiety, body aches. I try to feel normal again, I just want to go on my life. Hrt gave my life back! I'm afraid of risks but I have no other choice I think! Hope you feel better soon! 

• Posted

Hi Karen, I'm on seq type hrt, cyclo progynova. It contains 2mg estadiol and 0,5 norgestel. I feel good on it and it gave my life back. It's the first time in my life I feel grateful for a drug...🌹

• Posted

It is normal to be peri in your 30's?  When did you start your periods? How old were you?  What did your oby/gyn or your GP say about your hormone levels?

• Posted

Have you thought about ovarian rejuvenation? Google it
    • Posted

Hello,

​I am 32 years old and especially for the last 2 years I am constantly suffering with severe perimenopausal symptoms on daily basis ( physical, mental and psychological, everything on the list)...My last blood results are disappointing and not compatible to my age.

Fsh 20,5

LH 18,3

Estradiol 23

​Could you tell me more about ovarian rejuvenation? what is it for?

​Since 2016 I live a nightmare....I am desperate..I am too young for this torture

​Thank u in advance

• Posted

Yes you are way too young.  Ovarian rejuvenation might be helpful.  Are you located in the USA?  Google ovarian rejuvenation.  There is clinic in Greece and one in Carlsbad, California.  Both are using the same method.  Read the US website.  It explains every and includes costs.  

Are there other things which could be influencing your hormones?  Weight?  Meds? Stress? Exposure to something?

• Posted

I would write more details but I think the moderator will delete it.  There are articles online from publications about it.  You tube videos.  This is very new so some doctors are skeptical but the clinic in Greece is the developer of this method and the doctors at the Carlsbad,CA clinic are their colleagues.
    • Posted

I really appreciate a lot for your immediate answer! I am from Greece but I have never heard about it! I am going to ask my doctor on my next appointment if he knows more about it...

​To be honest, I am experiencing PMDD since 2012 but May 2016 I had a rupture cyst and during the laparoscopy the doctor cut a small part of my one ovary which I thought has affected me a lot and since then I live a nightmare...I need help ..I am miserable 

sad​ I am very young for this...other woman in my situation will be to mental hospital now but it has been 2 years and I am really tired from all aspects..I do not have quality life...no job, I am house bound the most of the time...The symptoms are awful ....the fatigue, the pains on my joints, the fatigue, my IBS, the itching, the hot flashes, my mood swings, everything.....

​Something weird and awful is happening to my body...I need help and doctors do not believe how awful I feel..

​Thank u again Beth

• Posted

I am experiencing a lot of stress the last years ( college, family and interpersonal problems)  but I do not know if hormones has been affected by stress and sadness or the hormones create this kind of stress and anxiety....I am very confused and desperate really...I do not want to take antidepressants Or psychopharmaceuticals while it is obivious that my problem is pathological and has hormonal root..I want if it is  feasible to be treated for my hormones..

• Posted

Its probably premature ovarian failure.  Your doctor may not know as this is very new.  But the clinic in Greece and in California have had success.  

• Posted

Get your hormones balanced first.  Hormones are hell as I say.  But you need to hormones balanced to get a clear view. If your doctor does not help you there are others who can. There are holistic clinics too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.