Perimenopause just one big pain!!?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all- so I’ve been following this board for about a year now  and I’m so thankful I found. It’s been a great resource and a calming factor for me in the mist of all this craziness. But honestly it’s just awful..the anxiety, emotions, physical symptoms...do any of you ladies just feel it’s like one big rotation of aches and pains? For example,  for maybe a week my back and shoulder will have sharp twinges, then my stomach has pain, then my neck and head, then my joints, then monthly cramps...it just seems never ending!! None of it is particularly  debilitating, however the anxiety gets so bad sometimes that I can barely function.  It worries me to the point where I’ve made a couple of doctors appointments, but then honestly cancel them the day before because I feel “okay”...That would just be a waste of time to go there and say, “oh yes my shoulder aches today, oh my stomach hurts, oh my neck really hurts, having some bathroom issues, why am I so sad?”...I’m 46, still get my monthly, but definitely in perimenopause..am I “okay” or should i try to get some answers..Last year when all this craziness started, I did go to my primary doctor and he just put me on Lexapro and it was absolutely horrible. I felt so ill I couldn’t get off the couch for the three weeks that I was on it, so I discontinue that and tried working and staying hydrated and trying to get out a little bit more often. It helps a bit but sometimes my brain takes over and i think I’m dying. Any advice, encouragement or venting about your woes is welcome. Take care all! 😊

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy.

I'm 42 years old and been experiencing premenopausal symptoms for about a year now.

I had absolutely no idea what it was at the time but actually all the symptoms I'm experiencing point to perimenopause.

One female doctor confirmed this but from experience i've found that the male docs aren't as interested. They basically believe if you're still having regular periods it's not the menopause!

I to experience different aches and pains and think it's all to do with this process.

Stay positive, and stay strong.

Hope this helps,

Dora x

• Posted

Hi there- yes it’s true, Drs have no idea what to do! It’s very frustrating and depressing to go thorough this. I know it’s all normal but it just feels awful . Very achey today and overwhelmed with holiday stuff to do and buy😧you take care also and thank you for your support! 

Amy

• Posted

I totally agree...  last night I woke at 3 am with anxiety!!   Too much is going on now..  And this anxiety comes in spurts..  worries and then nervous about stuff..  I'm married with kids BUT I feel like I need someone here for me for comfort..   I do swim and do a water fitness class that helps a great deal but I'm not a mermaid so I need to figure out what to do when I feel stressed.  UGH   I used to be just so calm and relaxed not not let anything bother me.  What is going on?

• Posted

Hi Kelly- I feel the same..I also am married with kids and feel overwhelmed with this anxiety and depression. And like you, nothing used to really bother me, i handled whatever came along..now I’m just a nervous wreck, not sleeping well, googling symptoms, thinking I’m dying..i don’t know what to do..if i walk consistently say 3-4 times a week I’m much better but i can’t seem to do it because it’s so cold out and i can’t find the energy...hang in there and stay in touch! We will be ok!!
    • Posted

I think I'll feel so much better after X-mas..  Isn't that sad??  What movie did you go see?   I wanted to see Wonder with my boys but they weren't interested so I just dropped them off to see starwars..  At least they are watching it together-- brother bonding!!  : )

• Posted

Hi Kelly- yes for some reason I’m not in the holiday spirit..and I feel bad as my youngest is 7 and still is excited. We went to see Daddy’s home 2 with my husband and son, it was very funny..and yet here I am petrified that this is my last Christmas!! I have all weird aches, pains, twinges, it’s awful!!! Health Anxiety through the roof!!! Day by day is all I can do right now! Thank you so much for responding, i really appreciate it!! 
    • Posted

That’s a lot of exclamation points i used there😆 having that kind of day lol

• Posted

Hi Amy yes l have absolutely the same symptoms as you have particulary making a doctor appointment and the next day you feel great and wonder why you made the appointment. It puts you off planning anything as you dont know how you will feel on the day. But im like you it doesnt debilitate me but sometimes i feel awful but just keep going. Dont have many aches.....mainly neck aches. Im 51 had bad periods on and off went on HRT but came off it middle of november because i felt more anxious on it. So im waiting now to see if i get a period. Wish you all good health and keep in touch on this site xx
    • Posted

I’m having a particularly bad day today..slept awful the last few nights..convinced i have some horrible disease...not even close to ready for the holidays..so overwhelmed. I’m going to try to take my son to a movie and escape/relax for a bit. I wish i could tell you something that would help. But please hang in there and stay in touch. 
  • Posted

Hi Amy.  Yes I too feel very much the same.  If it's not one symptom it's another.  Right now it's my throat.  I have no clue if this is peri related at all.  Doc put me on antibx bc I was having ear pain too.  Ear pain is better, but everytime I eat something temperature hot I have this one area in my throat that is being bothered by it.  Never had anything like this before.  I don't know if we have tissue changes in our theoat that causes stuff like this or not.  Anyways, I am venting here!  Trying to stay positive.  Have to self talk myself through almost everyday.  Stiff neck everyday...super tense in my shoulders, neck, jaw etc.  I just feel like I can't get a break sometimes!  I am 45 and still have monthly period, but it is irregular.  I also have gallbladder issues which I am trying to control with my diet right now.  I too am thankful for this forum. ((Hugs))

• Posted

Hi just to comfort you i had that throat thing before and hadnt a clue what it was. But it will go away soon. Mine just lasted a couple of days. Know how you feel.....what symptom will i experience tomorrow. My neck is permanently achy i just have got used to it and find heat on it helps....when i get the time that is!!!
    • Posted

Thanks willow.  I'm beginning to wonder if my throat problem is related to reflux?  It's been going on for a while now. 

• Posted

Hi 2chr, I wondering if you got the same problem I got at the moment I have a throat problem myself..and I get pain in my ear as well I do have a dry mouth though so don't know if that is connected with it..I went to my Dr and she gave me mouth spray but the taste is nasty but help a bit...yes I agree with this self talk helps you bit through it 

• Posted

Hi there- i  i’m also having a hard time with my throat particularly swollen glands and dry throat. It’s really getting on my nerves. I can’t sleep very well have such stress and anxiety over the holidays… Not prepared at all. I’m just getting through day by day not very well but ...that’s all we can do..i am sorry you’re feeling awful. Please stay in touch, i often  Find myself looking to these post for some comfort. Hugs to you and take care. Please stay in touch
    • Posted

I have the neck/shoulder issue now.. I think it's due to stress.  Right now I have this 'thing' around my neck that helps.  I warm it in the microwave and it helps with tension.   I also see a acupuncturist for this area

• Posted

Hi Amy, I have the same problem as you dry throat and swollen glands I had a check from my dentist and they say they are slightly in large..I'm here thinking something wrong... Thanks for mention your symptom,can you message me I will let you know what you can take for sleep that helps ok.

• Posted

Hi Maria.  Is the mouth spray for the dry mouth?  Are you going to go back about the ear pain?  Let me know if you do and what you find out.  I may call tomorrow and see if she can recommend something else for me to try.   I will let you know what she says if I do.  Right now all I can eat is soft foods so I don't irritate it more.

• Posted

Hi Amy.  Thanks for replying.  My ears are driving me crazy right now.  I am also struggling with the holidays.  I had the whole day Friday to get some shopping done by myself.  After the second store, I had an anxiety attack and had to head back home!  Ugh.  So upset because I had so much I needed to do.  Ended up just staying in bed the whole day until the next morning.  Hugs for you too.  Message me anytime!
    • Posted

Hey Kelly.  I have seen those neck things before.  I may need to get one.  My neck is always tense too.  I have to consciously relax it.  Even when I am laying in bed trying to go to sleep, I notice that I will have my shoulders all scrunched up and everything tense without even realizing I am doing it.
    • Posted

Hi  2chr, the spray taste nasty but I still use it about time it goes away and leave me alone,the chewing gum causing loads air in my stomach and don't want to be sucking sweets for it,it gives you funny taste in your mouth depending how bad you have it..I have a friend that seems to now feeling herself again after 3 years in Post and I think lucky her,I'm about to start Post and scared of what it will throw at me after 8 years of this crap..how bad your mouth on a morning it's so dry until I drink to ease it,yes let me know please.

• Posted

Hi Again, yes I get tense myself at times and I have to bring my shoulders back down to earth Lol the joys of meno.
    • Posted

Hey.  I don't have dry mouth in the morning.  Just this ear and throat stuff.  Right now it just feels like I have fluid in there and it crackles when I swallow.  My throat isn't sore this morning, but my ear and jaw feel funny.  Something is definitely going on and I do not want to go to the doctor!  Lol

• Posted

Hi your like me something going on..my throat feel funny at the bottom but I'm swilling ok so far, I don't go to the dr with everything but I wish it would let go my mouth and leave my saliva glands alone..all of a sudden I feel bit sickly I hate that feeling but I'm going to find something to suck like suger free...my ears use to itch and another time a ticking another time wooshing sound, inside my jaws dry but that's the dry mouth..how long have you been going through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.