Perimenopause/Menopause and shortness of breath/chest tightness/ Belching

Posted , 169 users are following.

Anyone have the symptoms of shortness of breath with chest tightness, (air hunger) with lots of belching after eating? If so please describe... And does it get better? Mine started like 3 weeks ago and it's awful feels like i can't get a deep enough breath.

I'm also experiencing food allergies/sensitivities also to soaps and flowers and different smells, all make me choke/ cough and feels like chest tightness. Never ever have I had asthma in my life but feels like it now! My anxiety/ panic attacks are bad, antibodies are high for rheumatoid arthritis, and hashimotos, just don't know how to deal with all these new symptoms that keep getting thrown at me other than to sit and cry, cry cry! Anyone else having similar issues??? Are these symptoms all consistent with the menopause change??

15 likes, 197 replies

197 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi Gypsy

Did your symptons get any better? Tje shortness of breath and chest tighness?

• Edited

Hi Mary, yes symptoms definitely come and go that's for sure! But back full force as of yesterday I'm really struggling, with the belching and gas out of nowhere and I'm having a flutter feeling since yesterday under my left breast behind ribcage.. Which is followed by belching which makes me think gas, gas and more gas uggh, but enough to scare the bejeezys out of me.. I've never had the palpitations and not only am I hoping I never get them I'm hoping this isn't them coming on for the first time, my heart rate and pulse and and blood pressure is always normal to on the low side, so fingers crossed the flutters are gas.. So over all this!!! I still can't eat a lot and still losing weight and that concerns me, but hoping and praying that'll all change soon, I just have a difficult time with many foods.. How arer you coming along Mary? Hopefully better than me..GOD BLESS...

• Edited

Gypsy, as i sit here in tears just too overwhelmed with this tortured on my body. I dont know what to do anymore this is too much for my body and my mind. I am aching, my body is so terribly weak , shaky and fraile. I feel so all alone here where no one understand here what im going through. I know it terrifies my family and they want me back. I just want it to all stop! Ive cried out to God to just make it stop! I thought the farther you.get in this the better you.should feel. But Gypsy that hasnt been the case with me, ive been feeling like this for 8 long months daily. Of course, i try to think that it is just perimenopause ..ive gone to doctors after doctors and everything. Today, im feeling like fibromyalgia pains in my back and nervousness and weakness, feel like something stuck in throat and chest, shortness of breath and stomach issue.

I hope we feel better soon.

• Edited

I know what you mean I'm absolutely miserable today just praying I'm not dying today, I feel that bad , super sick of all this.. I have the shortness of breath dizzy lightheaded , gas/belching and it's making my anxiety really bad... Yes family does worry but at the same time my kids are grown and gone, and hubby so over hearing me complain about all my symptoms I think he purposely stays away when he's out just to avoid hearing me, he'll I'm tired of hearing me, and with that I eel so all ALONE!!! It's the worst feeling ever.. So Mary sorry I'm not much help today as I'm feeling so bad myself but I will include you in my prayers today, and maybe he will hear me😩

• Edited

I know its difficult for my kids, they are still at home. My baby is 13, son 17 is getting ready to graduate and i cant really be involved the way i want to. My oldest 24, lives here with her son, 2 yrs. old. My husband is tired too, he has to handle alot of the things that i used to do and its frustrating to him. He seem so lost like its too overwhelming for him. I think everyone is angry to see me this way for so long. Im thankful that I can at least come on here and vent and someone can vent back. Lets me know that Im not alone in this. What stomach issue are you having? Everytime I eat something my stomach shakes and hand trembles. Then i get pressure in rectal like its not really digesting. I went to.GI and he insist its constipation, he gave me meds but i was skeptical about taking it. But listening to my husband he kept pushing me to take it ; i know he was only tired of listening to me. I took.it like a dummie and it caused me to lose even more weight, took my appetite completely away and other horrible side effects. Now im diagnosed anorexia. 😂

• Posted

It sounds like you and Gypsy have something called gerd......it comes with crazy symptoms, short of breath, gas, eating issues...etc....you may want to talk to a doctor about getting some tests done to check for acid reflux.
    • Edited

Hi Linda Ive already been tested this year and yes confirmed that its a small sliding hernia (gerd). I have been given ppis but i cant take them because they give me side effects. They seem to worsen my anxiety and cause muscle aches and weakness for me. The same thing with.zantac. I am very sensitive to meds. Ive been treating with things my naturopath suggested such as product call reflux acid, slippery elm,DGL, and watching my diet. I found out what was causing the pressure in rectal as i mentioned in above post, it was the med that the dr. gave me for.constipation. I dont know why he insist i was constipated in the first place because i.was having a bowel move every morning in which i tried telling him. Anyway, im glad i google the med and saw others complaints so i stopped taking it, and no more pressure. Also, it was making me lose even more weight. Ive waste so much money on doctors i dont know where to start. Another thing, the shortness of breath was still occuring while on the ppis ..I talked to my sister today and she did say that she had shortness of breath while going through.peri. I noticed the symptons usually subside in the evening. I dont know how to explain that one. Bottom line , peri seem to contribute to all my symptons, i never had any health isssues until this. Im waiting for a Ubiome Gut.study to come back and take it from there.

• Posted

Linda Ive already got test.done earlier this year and diagnosed with small sliding hiatal hernia (gerd).
    • Edited

Hi Mary,  I have to agree this peri business has been something else.  The last two years I have had everything tested.....heart, (ecg, blood test, stress test heart echo, I have had x-ray on my back, lungs, I have had two pelvic ultra sounds, and upper abdominal ultra sounds, I have had endless urine culture, vaginal swabs, and several more blood tests checking every possible thing....all negative....what I am finding is I will have a symptom for awhile.....then over time it goes away only for something else to appear.  I used to know my body like clock work if something was wrong it was wrong and I could get something to "fix it".  Right now I am experiencing nasty gerd symptoms, I have never experienced heart burn....and still don't but I get occasional severe chest pain, lump feeling in my throat, burning pains in my back and weird dull pain under my breast bone.  I have not had these tests done yet, I have had a fecal occult done which was negative so that's awesome, I also had a blood test to check for h-pylori, and that too negative....I like you am VERY sensitive to any kind of meds, this year I saw an allergist with regards to this, so I like you prefer to do everything naturally....I just started the protocol she suggested and also will see an osteopath this week as I too feel this could be a hernia issue....not 100% sure of course with no testing.  If in the new year I am still suffering I have a refferal for an upper GI xray to make sure everything is flowing correctly.....At the emergency room they gave me PPI's to try for 4 weeks, I told them I was super sensitive to meds so it would have to be a low dose...so what happens?  I get the highest dose......sigh.....I just wish I could get a break.....for the past two years I have dealt with pains all over my body, shortness of breath, interstitial cystitis. shingles, and now GERD..........to top it off my anxiety is all over the place causing muscle tension....I believe all from this and the worry that something is wrong.  Anyways, we are all in it together.....we will get through.

• Edited

Hello

I have just read your post and I could have written it myself. Today I woke up with pain and stiffness ALL over which makes me think of fibromyalgia and like shaky and unsteady on my feet as if I have got inner tremors. I'm also having loads of bowel issues, tachycardia up to 165 bpm every time I have bowel movements...I could go on and on. I have started a new job that I really wanted but I feel the will end up giving me the sack as in six weeks I have missed 2 days and been late 3 due to my tachycardia. I'm so upset and also scared because I can't believe this is all peri. 74 days without a period.

• Edited

Hi Gypsy,

Fellow sufferer here since a year now without answers. one thing I can recommend for the shortness of breath and the belching is homeopathic carbo veg 200. that helps me with that. I've try to stay away from any pharmaceuticals as much as possible and opt for alternative medicines. look into this, visit hope it helps. I still have a lot of symptoms going on but another thing that helps with v anxiety is Aconite , that works really well for panic attacks.

• Edited

Dear gypsy014,

My symptoms slowed down for about 2 months, but have come back with vengeance. I'm taking vitamins to see if I can ease up everything, but have kind of thrown in the towel! I feel like I just have to learn to live like this, morning nausea, burning mouth, constant fast heart rate, extreme fatigue, constipation. I never thought at 54, I would feel like I'm 90. I've had all testing done, and the Dr. Says low vitamin d is my only problem. I can afford any more tests, so I'm learning to live with it all. I just wish my family and friends would believe me, but there is nothing I can do about that. I just don't even feel like leaving my house anymore. I hope you can get all of the testing done to get a solution! I wish you all the best!!

• Edited

Hi Janeco, are your symptons all day or only morning?
  • Edited

Hi

So I'm 46 and always been healthy. No problems until 45....shortness of breath, constant belching, anxiety attacks, heart Palps and the list started getting longer when I hit 46. I realized I am in perimenopause after many ER trips and dr. visits. I have an excellent health record so none of this made sense to me. But after reading about different women's Peri symptoms I realize I have the extreme. 90%of all the symptoms. I always thought I would know just because of start having hot flashes and brain fog or insomnia. Well not so!! I am telling all my 40 something friends because nobody talks about this! I am relieved to know I'm not dying from an illness. But this can last 2 to 10 years then I now need to find out how to deal with it. I hope this eases your mind. A lot of women have indigestion, leaky gut..etc. I could eat anything I wanted and now I can't eat anything without belching for days . So take care and I hope this doesn't last long for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.