Perimenopause/Menopause and shortness of breath/chest tightness/ Belching

Posted , 169 users are following.

Anyone have the symptoms of shortness of breath with chest tightness, (air hunger) with lots of belching after eating? If so please describe... And does it get better? Mine started like 3 weeks ago and it's awful feels like i can't get a deep enough breath.

I'm also experiencing food allergies/sensitivities also to soaps and flowers and different smells, all make me choke/ cough and feels like chest tightness. Never ever have I had asthma in my life but feels like it now! My anxiety/ panic attacks are bad, antibodies are high for rheumatoid arthritis, and hashimotos, just don't know how to deal with all these new symptoms that keep getting thrown at me other than to sit and cry, cry cry! Anyone else having similar issues??? Are these symptoms all consistent with the menopause change??

15 likes, 197 replies

197 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I Hope we all get through this. Am I the only one that struggles from the emotional and physical

Symptoms, just not the sweats? Breathing problems, anxiety, depression, vaginal

Dryness, urinary tract issues, a fear or lack of

Desire to do things I used to do. Sometimes hot and cold. When I get hot I feel the anxiety coming on. I feel like

I’ve lost myself.  Feel sort of hopeless. Hugs to the rest of you. 

• Edited

You’re not alone Katherine!  I’m just now going through the not being able to catch a deep breathe, anxiety, crying.....just to name a few. Hopefully you are supplementing with some natural things to make you feel a bit better💕 

• Edited

Dear gypsy014,

I'm sorry to say, I'm going into my 3rd year with those symptoms. Also have burning mouth, morning nausea! I feel like I should make sure I write everything down for my family, because i feel like I'm 90 years old, and life is about over. I think my Dr. Thinks I'm a hypochondriac, but until a person goes through this, how would they know. I just decided to learn to live with everything, and if there is something my body just can't do...I just don't do it. I'm tired of trying to feel the way people tell me how I should feel. I just take each day as it comes! I wish you the best, and if you get any answers, please let me know!

• Edited

Can relate to what uve wrote, I get shooting pains threw my teeth & I look after them had the burning tounge sensation way back, I find that the left side of my body feels weak, now that's scary for me as I went for mri scan back in September everything was fine but still freaks me out also my fcae goes numb that I find myself smilein all the time to make sure I'm not having a stroke pre menapause feels like a death sentence to me, because that's the way my body feels now and then half dead horrible bled beginning of the month lasted eight days now I'm bleeding aging heavy on and off, oh and I'm addicted to creme eggs & flakes need one every night bad days eh 😐

• Edited

I know your pain, I'm having an electrical sensation in my neck that goes into my jaw, and down my left arm and my left shoulder is just fried, I asked my doctor, and she said it's just another strange symptom of menopause, I'm still having my periods sort of regular, and I'm already having hot flushes, No night sweats, but I heard that if you have hot flushes while your still having a period that you MIGHT! not get night sweats, I'm crossing my fingers, because I've had almost all of the 35 symptoms of menopause already..lol.. Can I please just skip 1 of them? I do have an apt with a cardiologist just to see, but I"m already sure they are going to say my heart is fine, and I'm healthy it's just all in my head, which is true, because your brain is the one thing that's rebelling the most about all the changes, it literally is making you temporally mental..lol..

• Edited

I hv same feelings and biggest prob is of feeling of cough in throat .. too nuch gas abd bloating has made my life hell hv to rush to dr in emergency as it feels like I hv some heart problem. Thanks for sharing and much love to all
    • Edited

I think my heart is goin to burst wide open when I get that heart race scary thing, also have thyroid condition doest help matters as your heart can race itself with that
  • Edited

I’ve been going through this air hunger thing for about two weeks now and it’s driving me crazy!  I recently turned 54 and going on about four years now fully into menopause.  It’s bad enough to actually say that I’m 54 but then to have all of these roller coaster symptoms associated with menopause just adds insult to injury.   However, when I’m 64, I’m going to look back on today when I left this message and slap myself for saying that I’m not happy to be 54... but it’s a really rough time for all of us! For the last four years I have dealt with the anxiety and hot flashes on my own, with  supplements, a deep faith in God,  laughter (my drug of choice) help from a wonderful husband, eating a healthy low carb diet and a little bit of Xanax here and there.  If the menopause wasn’t bad enough, I was diagnosed three years ago with type 2 diabetes… so that’s been a load of fun.  But this air hunger...this desperate need for a cleansing breath is very scary. It  strangely seems to happen more at night but today during the day it was more pronounced. I swear, I feel like getting a cleansing breath is better than  chocolate these days! In my studies I have found that adrenal fatigue can cause this problem. I’m going to be having my doctor test me for that this week, so I’ll let you know what the results are and if I actually do have adrenal fatigue.  It’s stressful enough seeing the gray hairs growing in at the speed of my ever expanding arse, my facial skin changing from  supple and soft to dry and spaotty  especially when I’ve always looked so much younger than I am. To make things worse, my mother died unexpectedly about a year ago and my husband has been very ill and so I think that my adrenal glands might be getting burned out from so much emotional sadness and chronic stress.  I haven’t felt bloated for years and now all of a sudden the last couple days I feel like it’s not possible to have menopause when I look like I’m nine months pregnant!  I think I picked a bad year to stop drinking. lol 

Praying for all you beautiful girlies who are struggling so much. Thank God there’s a place where we can share our thoughts and feelings and encourage one another that it will pass and we’re not going crazy!  Just keep reminding yourselves that even with all of your symptoms, we are so lucky to live in this time in history where there is the most help available to us. Can you imagine living in a Third World country with the stress of poverty and even genocide and going through all of these horrible symptoms  with no medication, supplements, doctors or even anybody who cares about how you’re feeling? I wake up every morning and I try to focus on all of the things that I am so blessed to have, like arms and legs and eyes to see my family and my friends and the people who love me and I encourage all of you to focus on those good and wonderful things as well.   It’s not easy to do when you feel like other crap but it’s better than just focusing on the crap...right?  Lots of love to you all! xo

• Edited

I'm sure glad I found this site and found out what was happening to me.  To me I had been having hot flashes for a long time but then the shortness of breath started and the weight gain was horrible.  I spoke to my doctor and he asked me how long I had been in menopause.  I thought he was kidding.  This s@#$ is a b@#$% and I have had more than I care to experience.  Yesterday and this morning seem to have been the worst by far.  Last night I experienced the worst heart palps ever, broke out into sweats, I felt like my whole body was a nervous twitch.  The shortness of breath came back was awful, felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest (my chest did not hurt), felt like my whole body was one big twitch waiting to explode and started crying over a commercial on TV.  Then don't try to eat hungry or not.  Here comes, the bloating and belching.  Gas, not so much.  GO FIGURE!  This morning, I woke up full throttle again, sweating, the shortness of breath came back with a vengenance, headache, elephant on my chest and the heart palps were so bad it felt like the kentucky derby was running in my chest, yet my heart rate was 67. This has been going off and on for over year.  I hate it.  This is the worst feelings ever.  I feel bad complaining because I know there are people out there alot worse off than me with more serious issues but this has put a terrible strain on me, I'm not a good patient.  Anxiety is the worst thing ever.  Deep down I feel very relaxed, so I don't understand why all of this is happening.  It's the scariest I've ever felt.

• Edited

Aw Lana, it is awful. I only hope you are taking supplements or doing some breathing techniques to help you
    • Edited

Lana,  you are not complaining.  Don’t ever worry about that, please. That’s what this forum is for, for us to express our concerns and our fears and help each other feel a little less stressed and scared.  After 4 1/2 years of going through menopause without hormones,  I finally went to my doctor because my menopause literally drove me to have health anxiety.  I know exactly how you feel regarding the heart palpitations and I had all kinds of strange things from  constant hot flashes  and bouts of exhaustion to sharp pains all over my body and now my feet are killing me , so I can’t walk as far every day I used to.  The pain is especially upsetting because I’m gaining weight and I need to exercise.  So yesterday I got my first shot of a combination of estrogen and testosterone, because all of my hormones were completely bottomed-out, including my vitamin D.  They will be giving me progesterone that I’ll take under my tongue,  as well as several more natural supplements to help calm my anxiety.  I have severe arthritis and back problems from being a paramedic for many years,  so I have a lot of physical pain and it gets depressing because I can’t take narcotic pain meds…they just make me so sick.  My husband worked in physical trades all his life so he has severe arthritis too but he can take his pain meds like they’re candy and sometimes I’m really jealous! LOL!  My doctor prescribed me Cymbalta for the pain,  which also addresses the anxiety and depression that comes with menopause, so I’m hoping that will help me and I will update after a couple of weeks as to how the hormones and the Cymbalta have helped me.  I do hope I have a good report!  You hang in there and don’t ever feel badly to complain about your issues.  I’ll be praying for you!! 
    • Edited

Have you been tested for diabetes because of the pain in your feet and also have you tried other means to calm your anxiety rather than a drug? There are supplements, acupuncture, breathing....just some suggestions....Feel better
    • Edited

Girl, your going to be just fine, I know it's a scary thing, so many odd, strange and just down right weird things happening to your body, it's very scary, just know your not alone, it's all normal, but if your feeling scared just go have a few simple tests and that will help put your mind at ease, I've had the crying fit's too, now I just kinda have fun with it, I call it my POOR ME DAY.. lol.. one day I just layed on my bed and cried all day like I was like $%(& it..lol.. don't hold the cry in, the faster you get it out the better you will feel, I had the heart palpitations too, a nice big does of Magnesium some times helps to calm that down a bit, but just trying to chill and some mindful breathing helps too, when I finally surrendered to all the crap happening to my body the easier it became to deal with it.. Just remind yourself that it will all be over soon and when it's gone you will feel 100% better..

• Edited

I started accupuncture for my menopause about 6 weeks ago and it has completely changed my life!   I was having really bad shortness of breath, heart palps, night sweats, trouble sleeping, back and shoulder pain, 10-20 hot flashes a day and more!  After a few sessions almost all of my symptoms went away!  I now get maybe 1-3 hot flashes and no longer wake up drenched in sweat,  Also, my heart palps and shortness of breath are GONE!  I feel good again and that has happened for awhile.  I am only 46 and started early meno about 2 years ago, but the past 6 months were really bad.  I recommend accupuncture for anyyone - it really does work!

• Edited

Acupuncture is great, I had it too a few years back, was in a program but got to be too pricey, a lot of insurance don’t cover, but If you can do it, even for a short period of time. It helps tremendously with tons of things
    • Edited

OMG! I did the same thing, it's amazing how it balances your body so quickly, I just had a major hormonal episode a few months ago, so I started acupuncture 2 moths ago, every week, and man, it has made a HUGE difference, I also to to see an Osteopath once a month because when your going through menopause any sport related injuries you have had, seem to come back to kick you in the butt, so I found that helps too, and a deep tissue massage 3-4 times a year is nice too.  the more pampering you can bring into your life during this change is just a good thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.