Perimenopause Symptoms Nightmare

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 47 years old and am having a terrible time with these awful symptoms of perimenopause. My whole body aches 24/7 and I also have Fibromyalgia and Health Anxiety so all together I'm a walking disaster so to speak. Had my FSH blood test done and it's 15 and have to have my thyroid redone next week it helps me so much reading everyone's threads on this site.

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I'm going through a nightmare time at the moment and don't know what to expect next. GP's are useless & just look at you with blank, bored look. I just wish they could suffer this for 5 minutes to see what it's like. You are right, it does help to read on here that you are not alone in your suffering and more importantly you're not going insane. 
  • Posted

Hiya, yes it does come as a shock to experience all these symptoms, I'm 49 and it's two years since I'm in peri, this week hasn't been very easy for me, bad stomach pains, abdominal pains, nausea, loss of appetite, it's not easy cause my GP can't see anything wrong with me apart from gastric problems and bloated. Some days I'm symptoms free and it's  a relief to be able to get on with a normal life. My GP Says it'sthe hormones   imbalance that makes all these symptoms.. So difficult to have to go thru all this... I totally understand what you are going thru...
    • Posted

I have the same symptoms, magnified by surgery to remove gallbladder, and Gerd. I look forward to having a half way decent day, which isn't often. Some days, I feel like I'm literally dying. 5 months ago, I felt completely normal! I cannot wrap my head around how you go from that to this, that quickly! If men had to go through this, there would be a pill to take it all away! But, we carry on, huh? 
    • Posted

Hi debbie

im urging my doctor to conduct more test as my mum and sister both have had op for gallbladder problem, but he refuses as he says he can't see anything wrong with me, this bloating and nausea really dulls my day, some days I'm fine and feel like an 18 yr old, some days I'm so down I just don't do much.

• Posted

Hi Debbie thanks for your reply. Yes it's bloody awful what we go through from one day to the next. I have an abdominal ultrasound booked for Tuesday morning and the anxiety over it is killing me. An xray on my hip last November showed a kidney stone well it still hasn't passed and I had an MRI a month ago from the chest down which didn't show anything but I believe it wouldn't have shown anything as my rheumatologist ordered this mri to check bones etc
    • Posted

So frustrating! Keep on them if you don't get a diagnosis, we shouldn't have to suffer! Keep me posted. 
    • Posted

Good luck to you, confident everything will be fine. Isn't it great how they will do MRI after MRI of one area, instead of checking several? Would be more cost effective, and we wouldn't have to have so many and worry for so long. Went to neurologist the other day, and she has ordered one of my neck. I asked if they could do neck and back, and she said we will start with the neck only😑 Pretty sure I have plenty more scans and tests coming up! Oh well, here's to getting fixed! 
  • Posted

so sorry that you are going through this bad time.  Keep reading all the posts here as they will really help you cope. take care
  • Posted

Do you have fibro the condition? or, were you diagnosed with it due to perimenopause, i have chronic fatigue caused by another illness which, in turn caused the fibromyalgia, fatigue and fibro go together, and perimenopause causes our illnesses to become magnifyed, so those two in me are worse now, you will also get aching joints because, with age our joints become worn, so you may have oestoarthritis in some of your joints as well, and because we have higher inner temps during peri which, inflammes our joints, it causes pain and tender spots, the anxiety will causes aching joints also due to low cortisol levels after adrenal overload.  Fibro is a form of arthritis, but its more in the muslces, tendons, tissues, and nerve endings when its in the nerve endings your pain threshold is lower, so, when you stub a toe, or knock a finger, the pain is twice as bad,  if yours has flared since menopause you should find that when your flare dies down, so will your aches and pains,  rest will also cause it to settle when its caused by fatigue, and its not as severe as the condition because its the fatigue thats doing it, take ibuprofen if its particularly bad.  
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, yes my Rheumatologist diagnosed fibro about 9 months ago and perimenopause just a few weeks ago by my doctor which I thought FSH level at 15 wasn't too bad tbh. Most of the time I don't know which my symptoms come from but this past week has been horrendous backpain nausea bad wind tummy gurgling and just feel like I've been hit by a bus
    • Posted

That sounds like a peri flare up your having with those symptoms there all related, but when you have a flare of peri it causes fatigue, which inturn will cause the fibro to flare up, so we cant win..............ha sometimes it isnt that your hormones have gone low that causes the symptoms, its how hard and fast they have fluctuated they dont have to go low to get the symptoms, when it happens very fast and hard, it upsets our nervous system and thats what causes a string of symptoms, thats why one day you get one lot of symptoms and another a new lot, but it affects all of our systems once it starts, and then it settles, just like our bodies settle after menstruation, its exactly the same as that, to be honest, none of us know which symptoms were dealing with when we have other illnesses as well, as they get worse also...............bummer isnt it!!
    • Posted

Thanks so much Elaine for taking the time to reply to me it helps so much. I guess we may just take each day as it comes and continue to fight these horrible symptoms.
    • Posted

Dud you get your ultrasound and the results back yet? Keep us updated! 
  • Posted

I understand completely.   Ages 47-49 were the worst years of my peri (and my life, thus far). Horrible fatigue and body aches for probably three weeks out of every month. Never went on hormones because breast cancer is in the immediate family (and blood clots).  

I am now 50 and the symptoms are still there but they seem to be somewhat alleviated, but I seriouly doubt I will ever feel real good again.   I know I have fibromyalgia, though it was never diagnosed, but every symptom fits.  It is amazing when I look back to think how good I felt pre-45- no problems at all and a ton of energy! I am sure the thyroid is involved, like you say.

I hope you get some relief.  If you find something that helps, please let me know.  Take care- Sharon 

• Posted

Hello, just wondering how everybody is doing now? Is the light att he end of this tunnel? Its awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.