Perimenopause with hair thinning.

Posted , 7 users are following.

In the last 2 months my hair is getting even thinner and I seem to get a small handful that comes out everytime I do my hair. Has anyone had this and do you have any solutions?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lori, the best supplement to take for this is Biotin. It will help regrow your hair and prevent it from falling out. The doctors where I use to work would recommend it to women who were losing their hair. It really does work too.
  • Posted

One of my first indications I was having hormone problems in peri, was brushing my hair and the entire brush was FULL of my hair.  It was very frightening.  

Do whatever you can, eat well, reduce stress, take your vitamins, drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep.  I have also used biotin in a chewable vitamin.  

Losing hair is always very distressful.  

So the the answer to your question is yes, many of us have had this happen as a part of perimenopause.  Sorry.

• Posted

I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me yet! Try the biotin and good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lori

Well im post menopausal now, well im 65 and hubby complains of my hair every where, its very long so looks worse than it is, i can run my fingers through my hair every morning and get quite a few hairs between my fingers, when i vacume  the carpets  i see a ball of my hair developing and i have to pick it up and chuck in bin, yes my hair brush is full of my hair and once i thought someone had left the plug in the bath, they hadnt, it was my hair! remember feeling pretty alarmed by this too.  This happened a few years ago, but at 65 ive still got quite a good head of hair, it can come in periods then settle down again.

Sochima i will try the Biotin, wonder if it would help our balding men!

Sue 

• Posted

Ditto Sochima & Gailannie's comments about biotin. me & my mum have both been trying it based on another lady's reccomendation on here for 3mths now, & have noticed hair is more lustrous, full, healthier. my mum in particular has had quite bad hairloss on top, & has started to notice some bits of baby hair growing where some of the baldness is. whilst its not a miracle it has made improvements to our hair. i also find it helps a little with my alertness/dreadful fatigue. we started on 1200mg, & are now on 2000mg a day. no side effects whatsoever.  2000mg a good moderate dose. the lady that recommended it on here takes 5000mg!!! you can buy it easily from most health shops. xx

• Posted

I use minoxidyl and it has worked well. (I even have "before" and "after" photos so I know this). Minoxidyl was previously by prescription only in the US, which means it had to go through strict scientific clinical trials to PROVE it worked. Now it is over-the-counter. I think many, if not most, women do have hair thinning with age. It's just not as noticeable as men's balding because women's hair loss tends to be more diffuse, all over the top third of the scalp rather than in complete bald patches. It takes several months to see new hair growth though, so you have to stick with it. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.