PERINEAL RECONSTRUCTION & RECTOCELE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I had surgery 1 week ago for a perineal repair and rectocele. I did not have a posterior prolapse but my perenium healed open after the birth of my second child and it was all pretty grim. After the operation my surgeon told me I had literally no tissue left on the right hand side so he has stitched all of that and the stitches are very deep and will likely take 10-12 weeks to dissolve. I was checked yesterday as have a low fever and given antibiotics but he said currently that’s he’s really happy with how it’s ‘come together’ (ewww!!) 

Anyway, I’m 30, I have two kids who are 20 months old and 3 years old and divorced from their dad. Luckily I have spent the week in bed and my mum is taking care of my babes. My main questions are about recovery? How long did you find until you were able to be up and about all day? I still feel very faint (apparently I bled out a lot), my tummy feels like it’s going to fall out like empty... and of course pain down below! Any advice much appreciated!!!! 

P.s I’m in the uk (not that this makes much difference ha!) 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I can't really speak for your operation as this is a prolapse forum but with prolapse repair stitched it can take between 6 and 12 wks for healing.

However if say give yourself a few weeks before resuming daily activities especially if you have pain. Do you have a follow up hun? Definitely no straining o n loo and rest as much as you can. Good luck love.x

• Posted

Did you know a revtocele is a postier prolapse. If this is what you had done then definitely no heavy lifting for at least another 8 wks hun.
  • Posted

Sorry I probably wasn’t very clear! I did have a bladder prolapse but it was due to the fact I had literally no perineal body so everything was being pulled down.... so my understanding is that he rebuilt the perenium with deep stitches and the back wall of the vagina to hold everything in place. Thank you very much for the advice that’s sort of what I was thinking! I’m going back to see him again in one week which will be 2 weeks post op xx 
  • Posted

Good morning! I had a prolapse bowel, vagina, and a prolapse bladder,

Im 10 weeks today,

The first week was rough! The second a little better,

Still get very tired, my surgeon said it could be 3 months!! Before i feel 100 percent!!

Still have not had sex!! Very afraid too!!

Just take it easy and be patient!!

• Posted

Hi! 

I’m 32 and I had the same operation last October. I thought I’d only be out of action for 3 maybe 4 weeks max. But I’ll be honest it really took it out of me and it really took me until about 8 weeks before I felt relatively normal again. 

I had a complication with bleeding and hematoma afterwards though so that prolonged my healing time. But just listen to your body. I knew If I had done too much and really paid for it the days after.  

My surgeon was great and he’s been so thorough in making sure I’ve healed ok and it’s been successful. 

Just take your time. I know it’s hard with the little ones, but it’s worth it in the long run. 

• Posted

Ahhh thank you for your reply!  So hard going through this so young I find! I’m single too so been very emotional but feeling slightly better now...  did you develop the hemetoma early? My surgeon said I bled out a lot in surgery but my bleeding seems to be slowing now after a week. 

I wish you all the best in the future and hope it worked for you! Xx 

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I had a rectoenterocele repair, SSF & perineum repair in November.  I took 9 weeks off work, I’m part time I would have taken longer if I I had a full time physical job.  I had very little pain but the heavy feeling down below lasted quite a while in fact I still get it now if I’m on my feet all day. I was told no heavy lifting ever.  You will need to be careful with your children but I expect your doctor has already told you that.  You will probably have a 6 - 8 week post op check please ensure you go to this as they will be able to check you are healing ok.  You may well feel a bit strange at 5 weeks as that’s when the stitches start to come away, I had a little light bleeding then which is quite normal. It is very important not to lift while you are healing so your children will have to climb up for a cuddle rather than you lifting them! Good luck. X 

• Posted

How are you innodoctor,how are you doing? I'm off for another Che k up on Monday at 12 wks post tvh and anterior. I've still got a low feeling in front vagina so going to get it checked rather than assume things. I haven't even looked down there either lol scared to. Did you have that low feeling in front?xx

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl,

I had my anterior repair in 2013 but it partially failed.  My surgeon would only do 2 things as well as the perineum repair so she did the posterior repair & SSF this time.  She hoped the SSF would pull up the front wall  to solve that problem. I’m not sure it has but it does feel slightly better than it was. So in answer to your question, no I don’t really get a heavy feeling at the front.  I still get some bowel problems but I think they are more IBS related. I think once you have a weak pelvic floor things are never quite the same again.  I hope you get on ok on Monday, let us know how you get on. X 

• Posted

I'm sure all is fine. He is an outstanding professor of urogyna so I'm hoping it's the new me after tvh and anterior repair. I don't have any bulge just urethra is low but to be honest it's been years since I've been free of bulge so it's most probably normal.

It feels very tight inside the front wall which is good news so hopefully everything just needs time to settle..

I still have tiny car gut thread coming away after hyster but that's nearly all gone now. It's been a very straightforward surgery and I'm absolutely thrilled the way its all gone. Hardy any pain with hysterectomy,anterior none at all??. Fingers crossed we don't have any more issues hey hun.xx🌻🌻

• Posted

Thank you for replying!! My new job is also part time, 21 hours a week as a HR advisor so it would mainly be office based but quite a lot of driving- an hour each way 😫 My surgeon has said my internal stitches won’t heal for 10-12 weeks so preparing for discomfort for a while! I wish you all the very best xx

• Posted

Hi,

I am just over 3 weeks post-op for posterior and anterior repair. With an 18mnth old.

Definatley no lifting , I still have my daughter picked up when my husband goes to work by mum or mum in law as she’s only 18months and the older two are at school all day. I make sure someone picks her out her cot/highchair etc. It is very very hard though as still bending and doing things as much as try to be careful. I have had 9 weeks of. I felt very tired after just a small walk of about 10/15 mins and this week I have not moved much at all. 

I’m very bored as well, and frustrated. It being able to just get on. 

Moan over ! Glad I have had the op and I suppose I will miss sitting about when I have to go back to work ! 

(In the UK also ! )🇬🇧

• Posted

Sorry I started replying individually then I got confused and decided to just reply here!! 😂 Thank you all for your responses, so so helpful honestly, I really appreciate it. 

I’m feeling very much at the moment like when my bladder prolapse was at it’s worse, like a bulge, but I suppose that might be swelling after only one week.... 

My new job is part time but it’s quite far... 45 mins away actually! My surgeon said my stitches won’t dissolve for 10-12 weeks as so deep but presumably I could still work towards the end of that period.....? I’m supposed to be seeing him in a week so il have a chat with him then and see. 

Planning another week mostly in bed if I can! Thank you all and wishing you all lots of healthy vibes x

• Posted

I'm sure I'm a couple of weeks you wi l feel a bit better. Take small 🚶🚶🚶 round the house,don't spend all day in bed as it's not good for healing.

If take off at least 8 wks off work and then gradually return to regular hours. It must be tough on your own but thank God for mums hey. Just think spring now then summer hopefully then you will be well on your way.healing hugs.xx

• Posted

Just a couple more questions.... did you ladies bathe or not bathe? Did you try to keep area moist ie lots of baths and showers or dry ? (Obviously still washing!!) as I have read so much conflicting advice 😫😫 xx 

• Posted

Definitely no baths for 6 wks just showers. You must keep vagina as dry as possible. Also we bathe in our own germs so no no to baths. Hope this helps you hunx
    • Posted

I think it depends on the type of stitches used. I was told not to bathe for a couple of weeks then it was ok as long as the water wasn’t too hot & not to stay in there too long. No bubble bath etc of course. I found a quick bath was lovely, if in doubt check with the hospital. 

• Posted

Best thing to do is ask your consultant hun. We are have different consultant s who recommend different aftercare. I would listen to her/him if you are not sure. Mine told me no sitting in water just shower and of course we are 🛁 in our own germs.ewww.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.