Period after 20 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is it normal to start spotting after 20 months I have cramps and spotting 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have seen plenty of women post that same topic on here. I am still in perimenopause but your not the first to ask. Give your doctor a call and ask.

Happy Easter

• Posted

Hi Jeanette, happened to me. Menapause doc said I just wasn’t done with my period yet. It happens. But definitely go get checked. Always have to make sure its nothing else. Probably give a vaginal ultrasound just to make sure it’s nothing serious. I’m sure your good. Be well!
  • Posted

Hi Jeanette,

No it is not normal to have spotting / period after such a long time. Usually if you are more than a year after your last period, then you are menopausal and a period after that (even if it is due to the good old ovaries having one last go, quite innocently), they are to be treated as abnormal. Do get it checked up, just to rule out anything bad.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me last month, when I got a period after a little more than 13 months, and of course I freaked out and went to a doctor. The doc did find some cysts and said the lining of uterus was little thick. I also did a pap smear. I am still waiting for cyst biopsy and pap smear results, and hoping that nothing is wrong.

All in all...it may be quite normal, but please do get it checked to rule out any issues, as it is not normal. 

• Posted

Hi Jeanette

It happened to me too. Cramps as if I was about to have a period after 19 months period free. Then spotting for a day.

I had abdominal ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound. All was fine & my GP said it just sometimes happens. ( Great!!)

Please try not to panic but see your doc soon as you can & get checked out. Believe me it's worth it for total peace of mind!!

Take care.

• Posted

I had a full blown period (the period from hell...flooding, nasty cramps and lots of clots) after 12 months period free. I was 52. I then had about 2 years of spotting off and on, often with months in between. I had biopsies done and a hysteroscopy, and nothing was wrong apart from a few fibroids which did not cause those symptoms. They say that spotting after the last period isn't normal but it seems that for me it was. I think it makes sense that your system will wind down gradually rather than coming to a complete stop after the last period.

You should definitely have it checked, if only for peace of mind, but don't worry as it may well be nothing at all ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.