Period cramps vs "IBS" cramps

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. This is for the ladies out there. Ive been experiencing IBS symptoms for months and the main symptom is abdominal pain/cramps. I'm wondering if anyone else who has IBS ever feel confused whether the pain is period cramps or it's gonna be diarrhea. My period is starting and I just now realized that my period cramps and diarrhea are hard to tell apart.

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi camham....Well can you tell the exact location of pain? As the periods pain can be in pelvic region that may spread to back or legs...while IBS pain is quite non specific...can occur anywhere in the abdomen...And the main differentiating factor is when your menses gets over the pain also gets over with that...While IBS pain can stay everyday, sometimes at different locations within the abdomenneutral And the bad thing is IBS and menses can make each other's pain worsesad

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well I find it a bit weird that I can what the type of pain and where the pain is means almost all of the time.

I've experience pain everywhere throughout my abdomen. Some places more pain than others. Some places happen more than others. I never know when and where it will happen but I can tell if it's gas, diarrhea, or constipation.

Lower abdomen- crampy, swirly, butterflies (kinda), umcomfortable = most likely diarrhea

Period wise- lower abdomen- crampy, very uncomfortable pain (sometimes I cry)

Upper abdomen-indigestion, bloating, fullness, gas 

Mid abdomen- not really sure but probably gas pain or constipation, crampy feeling also

Lower left- happens a lot, w/ constipation

Lower right- rarely, w/constipation?

Upper right and upper left- idk but hurts less and goes away faster than the other areas 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Diarrhoea pain would be accompanied by rumbling in your stomach, sudden urgency to go the loo or not making it on time.  Period pain is a heavier pain and will be accompanied by typical period symptoms of bleeding, fatgue, dizziness mood  changes, nausea or vomiting. For me these pains are very distinctive.

IBS pain and period pain however, are very similar and tend to roll into one big pain.  IBS can make your period pain harder to control and the period itself can make IBS worse.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah the sudden urgency. The period cramps for me is about the same area.  Its just that one on top of another, I don't know which is which and the pain is absolutely terrible.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You will be able to tell the difference between the two by the other symptoms associated with these issues even if the pain doesn’t tell you.  Diarrhoea only would involve multiple, urgent trips to the loo.  With the period you would get bleeding, mood swings, fatigue and maybe dizziness, nausea and vomiting as well.  Try a symptom diary and write down the symptoms you get for both issues apart from the pain.  You will soon see the difference.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh periods can cause dizziness and lightheadedness? No wonder I sometimes feel really emotional and not very energetic or well during periods (especially first or second day). 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The first two days are usually the worst for the dizziness and lightheaded feeling.

My emotions are usually at their peak in the weeks running up to the period and for me that is the most horrible symptom. Wnen the period starts, my emotions get better and then the mood swings can come back just after it ends and then everything settles back down. The pain I can control well with Nurofen.  Occasionally,I have had loose stools/diarrhoea with the period too.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Personally, I know for sure my period is gonna be here soon when I get easily emotional. My lightheadedness is gone today. And I find it weird that sometimes when I’m on period, I get diarrhea or really loose stool. Is it common? Felt better since some have it tok
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have had diarrhoea or loose stools with the period on and off; sometimes it happens if the pain is very bad.  It is a common symptom.  Take Imodium to stop the diarrhoea if it doesn’t go away on its own.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up